Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
The bed is probably as worn down as the sofas and other furnishings.
I imagine their budget for new furnishings (and any cap ex) is close to zero given that the building's going to be demo'ed at the end of next year.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
With all the bad reviews is the hotel worth $130 per night? I'm seeing that in Nov. Potentially a Prive rate with breakfast would not be much more.

Was leaning toward Gild Hall otherwise.
As noted above, factor in the dreaded and deplorable "destination fee" that may or may not be involved at a competing hotel so you are fully comparing price. The GHNY is not my favorite hotel. It is not in my favorite neighborhood. It is hardly grand or special. But booking at half to a third of the price of a competing if superior hotel and it starts looking better in a hurry.

Depending on your own preferences and expense account the place has one of the more pleasant Hyatt clubs in the U.S. When I traveled for a living, without an expense account, that was important to me both for cost savings and somewhere to go other than just sit in my room. (This last free advice comes with a dated content alert. Having less reason to be in New York these days and somehow acquiring Marriott lifetime status; I have not checked out the hotel or club that recently. But you get the point).

Last edited by jayer; Oct 1, 2019 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
I imagine their budget for new furnishings (and any cap ex) is close to zero given that the building's going to be demo'ed at the end of next year.
Totally on point - they will not put more money into the furnishing. The beds are hit and miss. But their lounge is one of the better ones in the States so that off sets the bed issue (I can always request for another room). As a Glob, I get the benefits of the destination fee without having to pay for it (unless that has changed).
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by helvetic
It's an awful hotel but if it's $130 vs everything else at $300+ then sure go for it. I stay there when there's a major price difference, but it would take that and that only to pick it over anything else.
It's 130 vs Gild Hall at 165. I don't care about location, grew up in the area and just need a place to base for a couple of days while wandering, seeing friends and family.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Just stayed at Gild Hall. It’s a wonderful smaller hotel with a fabulous breakfast. They give you a glass of sparkly wine at checkin and are all super friendly and helpful. Upgraded for free as Glob. to a suite. If the nighttime lounge scene s important than you prob want to stay at the GH. The other benefit of GH is it sits on top of Grand Central Station if you use that transportation
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by martinplas
Just stayed at Gild Hall. It’s a wonderful smaller hotel with a fabulous breakfast. They give you a glass of sparkly wine at checkin and are all super friendly and helpful. Upgraded for free as Glob. to a suite. If the nighttime lounge scene s important than you prob want to stay at the GH. The other benefit of GH is it sits on top of Grand Central Station if you use that transportation
I usually like a lounge but I'll probably be out eating, drinking and/or heading to a jazz club etc. Any trains would be ex-Penn on LIRR, not GC, so that's a wash. Sounds like I'll give the GH a pass then.

Much appreciated for all the responses.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:20 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's 130 vs Gild Hall at 165. I don't care about location, grew up in the area and just need a place to base for a couple of days while wandering, seeing friends and family.
100% stay at Gild Hall, it's far better. After the destination fee, the GH should be the same cost anyways.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Totally on point - they will not put more money into the furnishing. The beds are hit and miss. But their lounge is one of the better ones in the States so that off sets the bed issue (I can always request for another room). As a Glob, I get the benefits of the destination fee without having to pay for it (unless that has changed).
The GH lounge is one of the best in the USA? You're joking right?

It's an absolute zoo, infested by pigeons, where you have to pay for your drinks. The offerings are mediocre at best, the views are nonexistant. Water comes from a tap, you can't even take a bottle of sparkling with you.

Compare with a real restaurant at Gild Hall which is quite decent; vs. the awful breakfast buffet at the GH. I'd rather not have a lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:04 pm

A while ago, they added an employee at the entrance of the Grand Club to check room numbers. Miraculously, the overcrowding problem disappeared. I'm guessing it still gets busy during peak times of the year, but it's not out of control like it used to be, at least I haven't seen it that bad.

They did do away with bottled water .. but they have cups and an ice machine. The filtered water out of the tap (and even if it's unfiltered, it's NYC water) is pretty good. And you can pick up 2 free bottles of water a day at the marketplace, which can be annoying if there's a long line.

I haven't stayed at Gild Hall, and if I ever need to stay downtown I'll check it out. Meanwhile, experience at the GHNY largely depends on the room you get and if the elevators are problematic or not. No, it's not a great hotel, but rates can be reasonable there for NYC, and it's a great midtown location.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 1, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
The GH lounge is one of the best in the USA? You're joking right?

It's an absolute zoo, infested by pigeons, where you have to pay for your drinks. The offerings are mediocre at best, the views are nonexistant. Water comes from a tap, you can't even take a bottle of sparkling with you.

Compare with a real restaurant at Gild Hall which is quite decent; vs. the awful breakfast buffet at the GH. I'd rather not have a lounge.
Just name a couple US lounge that beats GHNY PLEASE. On the US Continent please.

As I said, you must have been royally screwed over once at this property. You even complained about the thin toilet paper in one of your post. So I had to fact check you with a photo of the hotel toilet paper (2 Ply). I feel bad for you Hel and us for reading your over the top rants. Any chance of relating to the original builder of this property?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:12 pm

I would say the lounge at the Manchester GH in San diego and Hyatt regency grand cypress is MUCH better than the lounge at the GH NYC.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just name a couple US lounge that beats GHNY PLEASE. On the US Continent please.

As I said, you must have been royally screwed over once at this property. You even complained about the thin toilet paper in one of your post. So I had to fact check you with a photo of the hotel toilet paper (2 Ply). I feel bad for you Hel and us for reading your over the top rants. Any chance of relating to the original builder of this property?
Lol, your accusations are hilarious. No, I am not related to the developer of the property… 🤣you have a very active imagination. You're mistaken though, there was no single incident that royally screwed me over… it's just that this hotel is well known to be one of the consistently ranked worst in the system by guests. On Hyatt's own website, it only has 3.5/5 stars (compare with 4 for SF, 4.5 for San Diego, 4.5 Manila, 4.5 Bangkok (also bad IMO), 4.5 Tokyo, 4.5 HK). In fact I can't find a single GH I've stayed at that's ranked so badly in some quick searching.

The TP, along with everything else in this hotel, was certainly quite low-quality, something I easily notice.

As far as better club lounges, there are plenty, and most are not in Grand Hyatts. In NYC, the Sheraton Tribeca has a much better lounge with an outdoor terrace, views, and free booze. Westin Cleveland has a wonderful lounge too! If it must be a GH, can't say I've tried that many in the continental US as I tend to avoid the brand, but the SF and SD locations come to mind.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The GHNY is a dump, in absolute and in relative terms. I don't even know why this is a point of argument. Now, for $100 a night, happy to stay there, it's all relative.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Lol, your accusations are hilarious. No, I am not related to the developer of the property… ��you have a very active imagination. You're mistaken though, there was no single incident that royally screwed me over… it's just that this hotel is well known to be one of the consistently ranked worst in the system by guests. On Hyatt's own website, it only has 3.5/5 stars (compare with 4 for SF, 4.5 for San Diego, 4.5 Manila, 4.5 Bangkok (also bad IMO), 4.5 Tokyo, 4.5 HK). In fact I can't find a single GH I've stayed at that's ranked so badly in some quick searching.

The TP, along with everything else in this hotel, was certainly quite low-quality, something I easily notice.

As far as better club lounges, there are plenty, and most are not in Grand Hyatts. In NYC, the Sheraton Tribeca has a much better lounge with an outdoor terrace, views, and free booze. Westin Cleveland has a wonderful lounge too! If it must be a GH, can't say I've tried that many in the continental US as I tend to avoid the brand, but the SF and SD locations come to mind.
Sheraton tribeca? R u f kidding. The ghny terrace is bigger than that entire lounge. All I can remember are the sticky floors an Costco frozen foods. U can fool some ppl here but not everyone.

Booze does nothing for me. Maybe is clouding ur judgement. And I think that is ur issue. Really. That was ur positive review this year for the tribeca -free booze.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Oct 5, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I wouldn't rank the SF lounge above NYC. The lounge has been packed each time I've been there, and the food selection/quality wasn't as good as the one in NYC. Agree that the SD lounge is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.