Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Checkin yesterday just 2 (!) ladies. LOOOOng waiting lines.
Did you use the WoH line all the way on the far end of the lobby (closest to the elevators and marketplace)? Still, it's a small check-in area for that large of a property.

Originally Posted by NJNY
One of the times they didn't even give me my card for waters, and when I asked they argued so I just left.
They didn't have the cards the last time I was there, they just said they'd take it off the bill.

I would just call down later if I had an issue like that, rather than argue it with the clerk checking me in.

-David
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Did you use the WoH line all the way on the far end of the lobby (closest to the elevators and marketplace)? Still, it's a small check-in area for that large of a property.
yes, of course. Additional problem was, that the Desk assistant pulled the WOH people BEFORE the others.... so some of them started to walk around started discussion. Not really bad, but shouldnt happen
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Like the convenient location of the Grand Hyatt, New York, but will not stay here as long as they do the "destination fee" nonsense. If it is part of the cost of staying at the hotel, then the hotel should include it in the room rate. But if they were honest about the costs of the stay, it woudn't show as a "low price point" on hotel searches, where many sites don't disclose the "destination" fee until further along in the booking process.

Ridiculous that hotels have to come up with items not needed or wanted to justify extorting additional fees from guests.
ryandk likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I certainly agree with you on the fee and many in the city are beginning to charge it. But this works out for the Globs because is wipe off the bill but you still get the $15 daily to use at the market. This means a free meal if the lounge is not your liking. It pays to be a Glob in this case.
dlflyer2 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Just a warning note here for Globalists staying at this hotel. I booked a non-refundable, prepaid rate the other day for a stay next week. The charge hit my credit card including $34 for the (nonsensical) Destination fee. I had to call the hotel and after five minutes holding they said they would refund it.

Given this is a Hyatt-owned property, it's beyond ridiculous they can't even setup their systems to follow Hyatt's own program rules and benefits.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryandk

Has any non-Globalist been able to get out of paying this ridiculous Destination Fee at the Grand Hyatt New York? It just irritates me to no end that I'll have to pay an extra $225 for a 9-night stay when I'll get almost nothing out of it. If you have gotten out of it, what did you say? Who did you talk to?

Try your corporate rate.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I should warn you. It’s now up to $30 a night for new reservations. It includes a $10 discount at the bar.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

Summary of destination fee f and b

So every day you can use upto 15 usd credit at market and upto 10 usd credit at the bar, is that right?
I Understand the market you can get something to go, how does it work at the bar??
Also I have seen the fee covers calls both international and local to the value of 10 usd. Does anyone know if this 10 USD is per day or per stay?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Try your corporate rate.
Or... vote with your wallet and simply don’t stay there!

I dont get the constant effort to “get out of it..” It’s such an easy choice: pay or don’t stay there. Instead people will whine, harass the poor desk clerks, kick, scream, etc. Just because you don’t like the rules doesn’t mean they don’t apply to you.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Mar 25, 2019 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just become a globalist and get the inclusions without paying the fee.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just become a globalist and get the inclusions without paying the fee.
Congrads! But still have to pay when in Vegas
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Congrads! But still have to pay when in Vegas
lol, like I pay for anything in Vegas. Except for the occasional <size redacted> check to cover a bad weekend at the tables, of course.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm staying here for maybe the tenth time and every time this hotel rubs me the wrong way.

I think it comes down to this hotel is just cheap. And I don't mean by room rate, which yes is rather low, but in how they approach everything. They nickel and dime you for everything (including basic services like holding luggage for a few hours), while giving bad service and doing the bare minimum.

Here's a great example. This morning I went to take a shower to notice that the hotel doesn't provide shower gel. I call downstairs to ask for shower gel, only to be told "sorry we don't provide shower gel, use soap". This attitude permeate through everything this hotel does, from cheap furnishings to not providing bottled water in the room, etc.
Markie and VegasGambler like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Here's a great example. This morning I went to take a shower to notice that the hotel doesn't provide shower gel. I call downstairs to ask for shower gel, only to be told "sorry we don't provide shower gel, use soap". This attitude permeate through everything this hotel does, from cheap furnishings to not providing bottled water in the room, etc.
Looks like you are Glob. And on your 10th stay you are not aware you can pick up free water from the market (or just ask FD during checkin)? Also, as you do not pay the destination fee but still get the daily benefits: the daily $15 credit from the market allows you to buy anything at the market. Also free luggage storage coupon for 8 hours is in the destination fee book they give u. And of course the lounge have bottle water plus more. As for furniture, have you stayed at the Harold Square Hyatt? laptop barely fits on the desk and furniture are Ikea like. And they don't let Glob know about the destination fee benefits at checkin. So other than the gel, I don't understand the "cheap" issue.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Looks like you are Glob. And on your 10th stay you are not aware you can pick up free water from the market (or just ask FD during checkin)?
The point is that I shouldn't have to pick up water from the store. Housekeeping should bring it to my room. That's the difference between "service" and "doing things for myself".

I expect this at a Hyatt Place, but not at a Grand Hyatt. It's supposed to be a full service hotel.
JIMCHI, helvetic and NJNY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.