Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I am there (here) now. No one mentioned when I checked in for five weeks on January 28th.
The fee is only for new reservations booked after this Feb. 1
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mmgm
Starting February 1 all new reservations at the GH will incur a $25 a day Destination fee which is the equivalent of a resort fee. I contacted the hotel and was told it will be waived for Globalists.
It will include many of the Globalist benefits like Premium WiFi.
I checked with Hyatt Concierge before looking at this thread. Was informed that Destination Fee is only waived for globalists on an award stay - puts it in the same category as parking and not resort fees. Makes no sense - so was wondering if anyone has stayed there post Feb 1 and had the fee waived as globalist (Have had some issues with the hotel in the past and don't want a surprise on arrival). I know there are other choices in NY, but prefer proximity to Grand Central for transit in bad weather for this Feb trip. Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Member

I would suggest making a reservation. Then calling the hotel and asking the question of a front desk manager. If you’re unhappy with the reply inform him/ her you are canceling your reservation as a result.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
"Super Bowl Party Surcharge?"

Was in NYC last week at the Grand Hyatt and booked a Premier Suite so I'd have somewhere roomy to watch the Super Bowl with a couple of friends. We were 5 people total but I was the only one who slept over. We were by no means loud nor did we make much of a mess. There wasn't even any alcohol present. Sure enough on Tuesday, I saw a charge for $250 on my Credit Card. I called Hyatt accounting and was told that the hotel charged us a $250 surcharge for "Excessive mess during Super Bowl Party". I have stayed in many hotels around the world of all shapes and form and have left some small messes before but this was certainly nothing above the norm. We disposed of all food in 2 garbage bags and even put the soda bottles in a separate bag so they could be recycled. I don't imagine that it took housekeeping more than 10 minutes to clean it all up. Has anyone else experienced such a surcharge?

Before I dispute the charge, I asked accounting to inquire with the hotel exactly why they charged us this surcharge and whether they could remove it. More than anything else, I am worried that something like this would stay in my Hyatt profile and affect me getting upgrades etc going forward. Should I be worried?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Was in NYC last week at the Grand Hyatt and booked a Premier Suite so I'd have somewhere roomy to watch the Super Bowl with a couple of friends. We were 5 people total but I was the only one who slept over. We were by no means loud nor did we make much of a mess. There wasn't even any alcohol present. Sure enough on Tuesday, I saw a charge for $250 on my Credit Card. I called Hyatt accounting and was told that the hotel charged us a $250 surcharge for "Excessive mess during Super Bowl Party". I have stayed in many hotels around the world of all shapes and form and have left some small messes before but this was certainly nothing above the norm. We disposed of all food in 2 garbage bags and even put the soda bottles in a separate bag so they could be recycled. I don't imagine that it took housekeeping more than 10 minutes to clean it all up. Has anyone else experienced such a surcharge?

Before I dispute the charge, I asked accounting to inquire with the hotel exactly why they charged us this surcharge and whether they could remove it. More than anything else, I am worried that something like this would stay in my Hyatt profile and affect me getting upgrades etc going forward. Should I be worried?
This hotel is just becoming the epitome of ridiculousness. I guess GH NYC housekeeping objected to taking out your garbage bags. I've only ever $250 charged for cigarette smoke.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by damaxer91
We were by no means loud nor did we make much of a mess. There wasn't even any alcohol present. Sure enough on Tuesday, I saw a charge for $250 on my Credit Card. I called Hyatt accounting and was told that the hotel charged us a $250 surcharge for "Excessive mess during Super Bowl Party". I have stayed in many hotels around the world of all shapes and form and have left some small messes before but this was certainly nothing above the norm. We disposed of all food in 2 garbage bags and even put the soda bottles in a separate bag so they could be recycled. I don't imagine that it took housekeeping more than 10 minutes to clean it all up. Has anyone else experienced such a surcharge?
That's insane. Those suites are designed for entertaining. I'm not sure I would dispute the charge with my credit card issuer, but I would certainly go all the way up the chain at the property and would absolutely trash them on TA.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
No to Hyatt.

Thanks for the review. Another Hyatt to be avoided at all costs!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:51 pm

Is the breakfast in the restaurant included or only in the Lounge as Globalist ? Best wishes
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
Is the breakfast in the restaurant included or only in the Lounge as Globalist ? Best wishes
have stayed here many times and only had lounge breakfast — have never been offered restaurant. With that said, in the nice weather I really enjoy the outdoor terrace the lounge offers. The lounge always has a couple of hot options, typically eggs and potatoes and some type of meat. It’s not a bad spread.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Checked out today. Destination fee was waived as a Globalist but I was told I could use the amenities included. I charged the $15 per day to the room from the 24-hour store in the lobby and those charges were removed.
LIH Prem and River in Sight like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:13 am

I'm just concluding the first of my two-per-year five-week stays. To answer the question from River in Sight, I am nearly certain that breakfast in the Grand Club is the only Globalist breakfast option, except when the Grand Club is closed. (Miraculously, it stayed open through late January and all of February this year!) As my many hundreds of night here suggest, I like the hotel, even if I acknowledge some of the complaints that others have voiced. I spend almost no time in the hotel; this is all work travel.

With respect to the Grand Club, yes, it does get busy at certain times of year, certain days of the week. (If there is a clear pattern, I have missed it. My stays are almost all -February+ and -September+). The outdoor area can alleviate the congestion, but it's open only a relatively brief portion of the year. Food offerings are okay for me. Thankfully, they have ceased pre-dipping vegetables in "stuff". My biggest gripe is that the Grand Club has a dress code that would seem to preclude dropping by "fresh" from the fitness center...that is completely unenforced.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Member

Disappearing items- newspapers in the Club, chocolates in the Club and music on demand on the TVs on machines in the fitness center.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
Disappearing items- newspapers in the Club, chocolates in the Club and music on demand on the TVs on machines in the fitness center.
Yes. I think I mentioned the newspaper disappearance up thread somewhere, but neglected to in the recent post, but it absolutely remains worthy of mention. And yes, the fitness equipment functionality. I bring a radio and listen to WKCR (a great station), so that is fine or better for me.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm planning a trip to New York after Christmas. Will the lounge be open on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day?

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Checked out today. Destination fee was waived as a Globalist but I was told I could use the amenities included. I charged the $15 per day to the room from the 24-hour store in the lobby and those charges were removed.
Was this a paid stay that they waived the fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.