Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's definitely not a GH like the ones in Asia some of us might be used to.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by helvetic
The first night, I checked in late at night after a long night of work drink meetings, buzzed and needing to hydrate before promptly passing out. Only to find out there was no water anywhere in the room. Calling downstairs led to being told that if I wanted water, I'd have to order it through room service and pay ridiculously high prices. I tweeted about this the next morning only to receive a tirade of a lecture as a response from the hotel about how damaging to the planet bottled water is and how I should just drink from the tap… (yeah right, like it's not all about money…). Eventually after some serious eyerolling and a manager calling to apologize, I got my water… a bit too late.
Every time I stayed here, I was offered several bottles of water at check in. There seemed to be a big stock behind the elite check in counter.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I was looking at GH NYC for a June trip. FT talked me out of it. It's been a long time since I've stayed in NYC (about a decade), and your description is exactly how I felt about the hotel I stayed at then (it was The New Yorker hotel -- now it is a Wyndom, but I think then it was operated under a different flag??) -- Generally -- lack of friendliness, being hasseled when returning in the evening rather than welcomed, the cold hustle of the lobby, the seemingly ever open palm from the doormen who seemed more like beggers than anything.

The Grand Hyatt is priced like a 5-star hotel, but feels like a 4-star conference hotel. The Andaz nearby is much much much much better value; with similar prices but a boutique feel, with friendly staff and good policies.
Really? Well, I've done many searches on NYC Hyatts in the last few months, and though there are a few times Andaz 5th comes up near the same price at GH, most of the dates I've searched for, the Andaz 5th is twice as much as GH. For the dates I am actually traveling to NYC, the Andaz 5th is 500-550$ a night (while the GH is 220$sh).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarkOK

Really? Well, I've done many searches on NYC Hyatts in the last few months, and though there are a few times Andaz 5th comes up near the same price at GH, most of the dates I've searched for, the Andaz 5th is twice as much as GH. For the dates I am actually traveling to NYC, the Andaz 5th is 500-550$ a night (while the GH is 220$sh).
It would be a good points redemption (if available) when 5th wants funny money. It's December/Christmas time when even GH charges ridiculous amounts for what they are.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Aventine
The Andaz isn't much better service wise.
I agree. I rather stay here than the Andaz after all the hassle I received the last time plus the underwhelming breakfast. If you have more than 2 ppl in your party, don't stay at the Andaz as they will try to charge you for the roll away - even as a Glob. Or try to upsell u to the next level.

Water - since you are a Glob, they should have given you free bottled water coupons to be redeemed at the market. You can go back as many times as you want with the same coupon (checkout date is written on it). My recant stay at Maui HR did not have water bottles anywhere - they gave guest a water bottle to be filled with filtered water next to the ice machine.

True the lounge can get crowed but typically over the holidays only. But I think some guests (especially when the are with groups) share access with their friends and fill up the lounge. I have seen this happen many times. What they need to do is be more vigilant with who gets into the lounge. The contactors there does not care and will do nothing to prevent ppl from tail gating in. When I was there last Christmas, some guests were offered breakfast coupons for the restaurant when it was getting really crowded.

WRT lounge food, I think is pretty decent here especially during breakfast compared with other US lounges. Same for evening offerings. Still think SFO HR is the best.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I suspect the Hyatt had to check everyone entering the hotel.

The area is a major transfer location from the subway & commuter lines at Grand Central and there is also a significant homeless population in the area.

I would be happy to be checked before entering because, well, the lobby is pretty big and there is no way to stop people from going up the elevators to guest floors.

I've always been leery of non-guests loitering at my hotel. Not afraid, just aware.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I have had a love/ hate relationship with the GH for many years. I book far in advance ( and frequently recheck the price) so I get really good rates. The Club food has improved lately- especially in the evening ( dishes like coconut shrimp and crab cakes, frequently slices of cold beef filet and sushi). The greeters in the Club that used to ignore guests are gone- but often not replaced. Elites should be given ( or request) a card good for 2 bottles of water daily from the Market.
The hotel is definitely too big but at a good price ( often below$300 - though it may be necessary to use points or p+c one or two nights to get that rate for long week ends) and the great location make it worthwhile for me.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Aventine
It would be a good points redemption (if available) when 5th wants funny money. It's December/Christmas time when even GH charges ridiculous amounts for what they are.
When I'm going, I decided HC Times Square appears to be the better value ($350) a night on part of my trip, and then I am going to the PH on points (PH for 30,000 points a night seems better than Andaz at 25,000 pts/night.)

I'll check rates once a week and see if I can rebook HC for cheaper or switch hotels that night if value opens elsewhere, but right now, those nights have GH 220, HC 350, the 'plain' hyatts both at 325, PH at 650, and both Andaz's at 500.

To edit: I just rechecked and GH went up to 293, Andaz 5th went down to 423, HC is 357 still (where I am currently booked), Hyatt Herald went down to 270, PH is 675, Hyatt Union square is 376, and Adaz wall street dropped all the way to 286.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that this is a Hyatt that is best avoided. It is what you'd expect. a large convention hotel which pretty much doesn't care about individual guests, similar in style and service to the GH Washington DC. I don't stay at either of them.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:09 pm

I haven't stayed here in over 4 years and will be staying there this weekend as a globalist member. Will update on the experience afterwards.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:20 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I'll check rates once a week and see if I can rebook HC for cheaper or switch hotels that night if value opens elsewhere, but right now, those nights have GH 220, HC 350, the 'plain' hyatts both at 325, PH at 650, and both Andaz's at 500.
Yes, I realize you updated the rates ...

I don't disagree with the recent comments and reviews for this property, but if you see rates like the above again, I'd stay at the GH and pocket the $100+ savings compared to the Centric or the Hyatt properties. They aren't significantly better compared to the GH and don't warrant a 50% premium.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Yes, I realize you updated the rates ...

I don't disagree with the recent comments and reviews for this property, but if you see rates like the above again, I'd stay at the GH and pocket the $100+ savings compared to the Centric or the Hyatt properties. They aren't significantly better compared to the GH and don't warrant a 50% premium.
Well, my strategy really has been wait and see. I expect to see rates fluctuate more. Normally, I would just book the cheapest. On this particular trip though, being the only one next year both with the wife and without the kid, I am willing to spend a "quite a bit more" on a "little bit more service/comfort". The breakfast off the menu within my limit at HC seems to be a better offering than a crowded club at GH and water coupons. The thread on HC has more positives than negatives it seems, while the Andaz Wall street (the now cheap option for my dates) is well shunned. And, as far as the HC goes, we will likely see a show (maybe two) on Broadway so the location works well. Though, if Andaz 5th drops below HC, I might change my reservation there. I've ruled out GH and the 'Hyatts' (and HH/HPs) for that trip.

So, I think I will maintain my holding pattern. I won't need the nights for renewal status next year, so something in my back pocket is maybe burning more points and stay more at the PH (I should have the points I need for that by March, maybe April, so by then pts may not be accepted anymore).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Every time I stayed here, I was offered several bottles of water at check in. There seemed to be a big stock behind the elite check in counter.
Maybe check-in quality is not quite the same at 2am…
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Hyatt Centric has that awesome 54 fl bar!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
The Hyatt Centric has that awesome 54 fl bar!
As much as I love HC at TS, I did not find the bar to be awesome. I expected a better view from the 54th flr but there was really none. The best thing about the HCs are their drybars.

Maybe check-in quality is not quite the same at 2am…
If you do check in at the HC at 2 AM - ask for water - they have it stocked in the adjacent office - just like the GHNY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.