Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
To what suite category a DIA can upgrade using his DSU?

On my desired dates only two categories available: VIP suite and Premier suite. Is the DSU upgrade includes these two categories?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:41 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

On my desired dates only two categories available: VIP suite and Premier suite. Is the DSU upgrade includes these two categories?
There is a whole thread on the confirmed DSU room experiences. Typically you get the "entry level suite", there are exceptions. GH NYC DSU gets you into a "Junior Suite" (which is entry level) as per this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...read-wiki.html
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

Yes they do. When I was there earlier this year using my DSUs, I was given the Premier suite but as I needed 2 beds, they moved me to the VIP. If I have know, I would have kept the Premier. The VIP is a large dark living room attached to a regular room. Nothing to write home about. I believe, base on what I was told during chk in, the P suites are newly renovated and larger. On a side note - there was a DSU IT snafu that worked out great for us - 24K pts in exchange for a 2015 DSU ^

If you get a Jr suite, ask for the V or P suites. They grant Jr suites as a free upgrade to diamonds - base on my experience.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Was It the Holiday or Is the Club Always Overrun?

Anybody a Diamond regular at this hotel? Is the club always just so overwhelmed it's a food riot?

On the other hand it is a nice room with a nicer outside deck. The food has gotten rather good in he last year.

Over Memorial Day it was so crowded it was sort of frustrating.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayer
Anybody a Diamond regular at this hotel? Is the club always just so overwhelmed it's a food riot?

On the other hand it is a nice room with a nicer outside deck. The food has gotten rather good in he last year.

While I have never been to this Club, I can affirm based on past experience that Clubs in general tend to be overrun when the family travel season is at its peaks (and Memorial Day is definitely one of those). I actually tend to avoid clubs at that point in lieu of a hotel where I will get to eat in the restaurant for Diamond breakfast.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:48 am

I was 20 nights a year for several decades, now up around 100 (new client). See my post #942 for a little recent commentary. As others have observed, the Grand Club can get overwhelmed during family holiday season. (Pay a little extra and feed the whole brood in the Club.)
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:20 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro

Holidays, the summer and December are impossible months in the Club.Too many Diamonds bring their families and finding a place to sit is impossible. The weekends are the worst- so naturally they shorten the breakfast hours from 4 to 3 1/2 on the weekends.
They are aware of the problem- and just don't care.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Free dinner

Just saw a guest complained about food being taken away 10 mins to 8. Basically force his way into getting a free dinner at the restaurant for him and his wife. How pathetic.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just saw a guest complained about food being taken away 10 mins to 8. Basically force his way into getting a free dinner at the restaurant for him and his wife. How pathetic.
What's pathetic about complaining that buffet food is taken away ten minutes earlier than the announced time. It's pathetic that employees are trying to leave early and that management let's them get away with this.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's pathetic about complaining that buffet food is taken away ten minutes earlier than the announced time. It's pathetic that employees are trying to leave early and that management let's them get away with this.
Is pathetic because you can tell right off the bat he was angling for a free meal. And he made sure everyone around can hear him so to pressure the Hyatt employee to offer him the freebie. It all looked so planned.

You may never had stayed at this property, but the employees do not leave after 8 - they clean out the hot food items and bring out dessert for the 8 PM rush and close at 10. And these are some of the hardest working lounge staff I've ever met and they have to deal with rude ppl like this guy on a daily basis. Give me a break, it was fried wontons night - how desperate can you be.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Jun 27, 2016 at 9:23 pm
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Is pathetic because you can tell right off the bat he was angling for a free meal. And he made sure everyone around can hear him so to pressure the Hyatt employee to offer him the freebie. It all looked so planned.

You may never had stayed at this property, but the employees do not leave after 8 - they clean out the hot food items and bring out dessert for the 8 PM rush and close at 10. And these are some of the hardest working lounge staff I've ever met and they have to deal with rude ppl like this guy on a daily basis. Give me a break, it was fried wontons night - how desperate can you be.
Actually I have stayed here several times. The lounge appetizer spread is very generous; many people obviously use it as dinner, although dinner is not a lounge standard in USA Hyatts.

Still, even hard working lounge staff should not remove appetizers before the announced 8:00 pm deadline and it's not inappropriate for guests to complain when this happens. IMO the hotel either should have served the couple a selection of the evening's lounge appetizers or should have comped them one appetizer each in the restaurant, perhaps two at most, but not an entire dinner. Presumably they could have returned to the lounge for dessert.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Still, even hard working lounge staff should not remove appetizers before the announced 8:00 pm deadline and it's not inappropriate for guests to complain when this happens. IMO the hotel either should have served the couple a selection of the evening's lounge appetizers or should have comped them one appetizer each in the restaurant, perhaps two at most, but not an entire dinner. Presumably they could have returned to the lounge for dessert.
Agree that there should not be an expectation of a full evening meal in the lounge. An obvious solution here might be to post the end of food serving at 7:45 pm. This gives staff their time buffer, and sets guest expectatons.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:57 pm

Tonight, they started clearing the table after 8 PM.

One thing to note, they are digging up the ground on 42nd st (front of the hotel). DO NOT STAY IN A ROOM FACING 42nd ST!!!!!

Face the back or LEX.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Jun 29, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:16 pm

Has anyone stayed at the Grand Loft room yet? Looks pretty nice and same price as the reg rooms for dates I am looking at.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Has anyone stayed at the Grand Loft room yet? Looks pretty nice and same price as the reg rooms for dates I am looking at.
I haven't, but was wondering about it too. It's big and cheap relative to every other option there, so I'm afraid there must be something wrong with it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.