Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:04 pm

Has anyone done the rooftop tour ? I've been invited for next Friday at 1000h.

http://www.grandhyattnewyorkminute.com/#!about1/c23hu
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Has anyone done the rooftop tour ? I've been invited for next Friday at 1000h.

http://www.grandhyattnewyorkminute.com/#!about1/c23hu
We took the tour in July. The guides were very nice and helpful in pointing out highlights from the roof. Is not anything like top of the rock or Empire state building views. But still nice and is free.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
...so my partner and I stayed here last night. I totally agree with the lipstick on a pig description....

The pros.... there is a separate line at the front desk for Diamond/PLAT members and they seem to enforce it. It is similar to airline boarding lane... Elite on the left, common folk on the right.

Location is great.

The front desk clerk that we had was very friendly and tried to be as helpful as she could be.

The club on the 16th floor is of a decent size, at least since the outside Grand Deck was open. In the winter the place may seem cramped. Evening spread was veg quasadila, cheese, sushi, beef/cooscoos, bread, fruit, etc. Beer I'd $6 / mixed drinks $10 / wine $8?.

We asked for breakfast coupons at check in and we're given them. Ww do not like the usual lounge grazing breakfast and enjoyed the menu in the restaurant. Coupon included coffee, tea, oj, but not soda.

Given coupons for bottled, water, coffee, or tea in the lobby grab N Go.

Cons....

The only upgrade offered was to a corner king, "14" room. Nothing special, view to the 42nd street side, but on a mid level. Was told nothing better available and even after I offered to do a DSU, was told no suites.... It is possible due to events in the city...

Updated room still looked dated.

Poor soundproofing.

Touch lighting was cool, but seemed quirky.

Overall, a good stay. I would stay again if the price was right. Not going to be my go to Hyatt in NYC.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It's fashion week. I'm surprised to got a room at all
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

We asked for breakfast coupons at check in and we're given them. Ww do not like the usual lounge grazing breakfast and enjoyed the menu in the restaurant. Coupon included coffee, tea, oj, but not soda.

Given coupons for bottled, water, coffee, or tea in the lobby grab N Go.

So Diamonds have a choice between breakfast in the Club or in the restaurant? What did the coupon include besides liquids? I've never been offered a choice there.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
So Diamonds have a choice between breakfast in the Club or in the restaurant? What did the coupon include besides liquids? I've never been offered a choice there.
It was not offered. I asked at check in and our agent went to the back to get permission. It was granted.

The coupon appeared to include anything on the breakfast menu. We each had an entree and were not given a bill. We did leave a gratuity. They did not offer a buffet.

The coupon stated "complimentary full breakfast" We were given two. One for each of us.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It's fashion week. I'm surprised to got a room at all
It was only one night at this property. We flew home today.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:01 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It's not an official option which is why one is not given a choice at check in
The guest can ask but its at any hotels discretion
I only ask if the lounge is too crowded the food & variety unacceptable,spoiled,old sitting around or closed!
Rarely been denied if there is a preexisting condition
I don't ask if it's at least a satisfactory continental under normal reasonable conditions
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:06 pm

I only ask when I travel with my partner. Otherwise I will expense breakfast in the restaurant. .. I have never been denied.

At the HR Orlando, they will give you breakfast in place of lounge access.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
We took the tour in July. The guides were very nice and helpful in pointing out highlights from the roof. Is not anything like top of the rock or Empire state building views. But still nice and is free.
Is the tour only for guests staying at the hotel or also locals? How did you signup?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
It was only one night at this property. We flew home today.
Ah, had you still be in town I would have bought you a coffee. My office is a block away.

Fashion week started on Thursday and continues for a few more days. As I said, I'm surprised you got a room
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zerolife
Is the tour only for guests staying at the hotel or also locals? How did you signup?

Thanks
no one check if you are a guest of the hotel. Is really not a tour - just allows you access to the roof and you are on your own. For sign up, ask the front desk when they are given. There is usually a sign in the lobby if they have one.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
no one check if you are a guest of the hotel. Is really not a tour - just allows you access to the roof and you are on your own. For sign up, ask the front desk when they are given. There is usually a sign in the lobby if they have one.
I got an email invitation recently, for a 10am tour -- the day BEFORE my check-in. Eh?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Ah, had you still be in town I would have bought you a coffee. My office is a block away.

Fashion week started on Thursday and continues for a few more days. As I said, I'm surprised you got a room
Thank you, much appreciated.

Actually rates in the city and availability were not bad on Friday. Now earlier in the week, that was a different story

My hotel friends in the city warned me of fashion week. Fortunately the hotel project I was working on was the prior week.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:28 pm

The tour was offered Saturday, the day of my check-out. The sign was up in the lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.