Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
$24 for a NY bagel !!!!
I never did find out how they got to $24 because they credited the overcharge back. It was $6.50++ on the menu.

Though I was prepared to pay the $6.50 plus the service charges, tax, room service delivery charge, etc on it if necessary. I knew I was ordering beyond the 1/1/1, It was nice that they removed it, however they got to $24.

I always check the bill, regardless of who is ultimately paying though these days it's me.

-David
Old May 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
GHNY TP

Someone above complained about the TP... it seem fine to me...

Old May 24, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
This has long been a "go to" property for me in NYC, but not any longer. I am not sure if it is because its closing has been announced, if the owners have gotten cheap, and/or if the staff has just become indifferent, but the attention to detail on the basics is lacking, the Grand Club offerings are stale and underwhelming compared to any major city Regency Club, and the room furnishings are stained, torn, and worn. I am in an upgraded king and the "sofa" is stained everywhere, the leather chair at the small table looks is so torn and threadbare it looks like it was rescued from Goodwill, and it took 12 minutes midday to get the water in the bathroom sink to shift from cold to lukewarm. Add to this the now $30 destination fee ($34.50 with tax) covering many items I could care less about and there is little reason to stay here anymore. No wonder they downgraded it from 25,000 to 20,000 World of Hyatt points. Honestly it is not even worth that in its current condition.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:36 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by IndyJeffrey
This has long been a "go to" property for me in NYC, but not any longer. I am not sure if it is because its closing has been announced, if the owners have gotten cheap, and/or if the staff has just become indifferent, but the attention to detail on the basics is lacking, the Grand Club offerings are stale and underwhelming compared to any major city Regency Club, and the room furnishings are stained, torn, and worn. I am in an upgraded king and the "sofa" is stained everywhere, the leather chair at the small table looks is so torn and threadbare it looks like it was rescued from Goodwill, and it took 12 minutes midday to get the water in the bathroom sink to shift from cold to lukewarm. Add to this the now $30 destination fee ($34.50 with tax) covering many items I could care less about and there is little reason to stay here anymore. No wonder they downgraded it from 25,000 to 20,000 World of Hyatt points. Honestly it is not even worth that in its current condition.
The attention to detail has never existed here.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I am not sure if it is because its closing has been announced, if the owners have gotten cheap, and/or if the staff has just become indifferent
Yes.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by IndyJeffrey
The owner of this property is Hyatt Hotels Corp, which makes it particularly shameful that it’s substandard. Of all the dozen or so Grand Hyatts I’ve stayed at, GHNY is the lowest quality and the one with the most customer service issues.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
For those complaining about this property, maybe a $99 rate will lessen the pain of staying here..

Details
SUNDAY FUNDAY Must stay a minimum of 2 nights. Maximum of 2 nights. Sunday must be included in the stay PREPAY AT TIME OF BOOKING/NON-REFUNDABLE
Deposit Policy
Credit Card Deposit Required
Cancellation Policy
FULL PREPAYMENT/NO REFUND/NO CHANGES

Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
For those complaining about this property, maybe a $99 rate will lessen the pain of staying here..

Details
SUNDAY FUNDAY Must stay a minimum of 2 nights. Maximum of 2 nights. Sunday must be included in the stay PREPAY AT TIME OF BOOKING/NON-REFUNDABLE
Deposit Policy
Cancellation Policy
Obviously they are having occupancy issues....
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

Details
Deposit Policy
Cancellation Policy

When are you seeing this? The lowest I saw with a search of Sept/Oct weekends was $184/night.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:48 pm

It was for 2nd Sunday of Oct. I am sure they only have limited rooms for this price.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
With all the bad reviews is the hotel worth $130 per night? I'm seeing that in Nov. Potentially a Prive rate with breakfast would not be much more.

Was leaning toward Gild Hall otherwise.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:35 am

Thanks for the heads up about the rate... Will look into it for Nov.
I've stayed here well over 200 nights in the past 19 years. Is not a "bad" hotel. If you can get this place for $130, go for it. But keep in mind there is a resort fee (or what ever they call it) which many NYC hotel now charges. You get some of that back if you use the credit for purchase at the market. Of course being a Glob have its benefits so I stay here when I can if the rates are reasonable.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:16 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
It's an awful hotel but if it's $130 vs everything else at $300+ then sure go for it. I stay there when there's a major price difference, but it would take that and that only to pick it over anything else.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
It's an awful hotel but if it's $130 vs everything else at $300+ then sure go for it. I stay there when there's a major price difference, but it would take that and that only to pick it over anything else.
Boy they must have screwed you really bad based on your comments. If I hated a place as much as you hate GHNY, I would not even stay there if is free.
One place I swore off and will never stay is The Marriott Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection. Even if is free... An over price closet that is what I call it.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Boy they must have screwed you really bad based on your comments. If I hated a place as much as you hate GHNY, I would not even stay there if is free.
One place I swore off and will never stay is The Marriott Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection. Even if is free... An over price closet that is what I call it.
$130 is a good rate once you don't expect it to be more than a bed to sleep in. The bed is probably as worn down as the sofas and other furnishings. It has the least Grand (opulence) of any GH I've ever been to.

I feel the same way about Park Hyatt Seoul. Anywhere but there. Even if it's free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.