Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rates are dirt cheap, and for very good reason. But don't forget the $40 "destination fee" when comparing to other properties.
Lucky for Globs we don't pay for it and still get all the benefits. I use the credit to get Salmon for lunch and grab a bunch of candy and nuts on the way out. In effect lowering my rate by $15 a day. Love this place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:14 pm

Was surprised to discover the property is closed until August 3.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
All the full service Hyatts are currently closed in Manhattan. 50 Bowery and Hyatt Place/House are it for now. Lodging options super limited as the city slowly reopens.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
All the full service Hyatts are currently closed in Manhattan. 50 Bowery and Hyatt Place/House are it for now. Lodging options super limited as the city slowly reopens.
Even in cities (US cities) where full service Hyatt’s are operating they are a shadow of their former selves... best to stick with limited service unless you set expectations very low.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Park Hyatt New York is closed until August 2nd and Andaz Wall Street is closed until August 1st.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Even in cities (US cities) where full service Hyatt’s are operating they are a shadow of their former selves... best to stick with limited service unless you set expectations very low.
Tell me about it . . . I couldn't even get a cup of coffee at Essex House this weekend!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
There is a sale on now (City on Sale) until 24 December 2019 (according to the terms) for stays until 30 April 2020. The rules say it's a three-night minimum for the rate but the dates I was looking at in February, the sale price of around $115 ex-tax was available for two nights. Meanwhile, for the same dates, the Centric 39th/5th is around $250, Centric Times Square $200 and Union Square $200. Even some of the Places are priced higher (Chelsea $132, LI $320).

Interestingly, there are no Club rooms for sale and the rooms page of the hotel's website doesn't list that room type (https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...rk/nycgh/rooms).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by danger
There is a sale on now (City on Sale) until 24 December 2019 (according to the terms) for stays until 30 April 2020. The rules say it's a three-night minimum for the rate but the dates I was looking at in February, the sale price of around $115 ex-tax was available for two nights. Meanwhile, for the same dates, the Centric 39th/5th is around $250, Centric Times Square $200 and Union Square $200. Even some of the Places are priced higher (Chelsea $132, LI $320).

Interestingly, there are no Club rooms for sale and the rooms page of the hotel's website doesn't list that room type (https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...rk/nycgh/rooms).
Because the clubs are toast....
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:37 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Grand Hyatt redevelopment could be 1,600-foot supertall

https://therealdeal.com/2020/11/23/g...oot-supertall/

The planned redevelopment of the Grand Hyatt Hotel next to Grand Central Terminal could result in a supertall tower rising more than 1,600 feet above Midtown.

The development at 109 East 42nd Street is tentatively dubbed Project Commodore, New York YIMBY reports, citing an Environmental Assessment Statement for the project. If it rises to the proposed height of 1,646 feet, it would become the tallest building by roof height in the city. (Extell Development’s Central Park Tower at 217 West 57th Street currently holds the record at 1,550 feet.)

RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone are teaming up for the project, which will ride on the current site of the Grand Hyatt New York. The 3-million-square-foot development is one of the major projects of the Midtown East rezoning initiative.

Designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the proposed building would include 2.1 million square feet of office space, a new 500-room hotel, about 10,000 square feet of open-air publicly accessible space, and 43,370 square feet of retail, including some controlled by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The next step for the project is a public scoping meeting to be held on Dec. 21. If the project moves forward, it would not be completed until approximately 2030. Construction on the new building could cost between $2.5 billion and $3 billion.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Thanks to this article, we've got some more details about the hotel and speculative renderings.
  • The tower block could become New York's tallest by roof height.
  • The tower will have 89 floors consisting of office and hotel use.
  • The offices will be accessible from E 42nd Street, with the hotel entrance on Lexington.
  • The ground/first floor will be shared between the offices and hotel, while the second floor will be used for additional office lobby as well as open-air public space.
  • The offices will occupy floors 7-63, with the 500-room Grand Hyatt New York occupying floors 65-83.
  • Project Commodore is going to be presented in front of a public scoping meeting on December 21st, 2020.
  • If approved down the line, demolition of the Grand Hyatt will take 18 months and construction another 47, with completion a ways off in 2030.
I didn't expect the hotel to be perched so high up in the development - could we have a contender for the highest hotel in the US with this one? Very exciting stuff, with the best views I'd imagine. Now let's just get it approved...

khabah
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm impressed but surprised by no residences on those top floors. Nice to see a hotel take precedence in a NA tower build.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the Westin in Atlanta (round building with an atrium a couple blocks from the Hyatt there) is about 90 stories. (I remember having a room on about floor 86.) A couple decades ago it was badly damaged by a hurricane; the wind blew out lots of floor to ceiling windows and it was closed for a while until it was repaired and renovated.

The hotel at the World Trade Center in NYC (pre 9/11) had a good restaurant on top on a very high floor, but I remember hotel rooms on about floor 20.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:52 am

Developer's going to have a heck of a time finding funding for a massive office/residential development in midtown Manhattan. The future of high-rise commercial office in particular is so uncertain right now. Most tenants are looking to dump space, not add it.
rogo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:51 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Rendering

Rendering of the new GH. looks impressive. just published about 3 hours ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2863942/%3famp

Markie and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 3, 2021 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I just booked a suite here in December for 2 nights. Any recent experiences? I was surprised it was available for booking as I thought it was closing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.