Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Standardized script for Globalist check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Recently had three consecutive stays at limited service properties in which the desk agent at check-in simply handed me my key without acknowledging Glob status or even offering a bottle of water -- Hyatt House Mt. Laurel, Hyatt House Carlsbad, Hyatt Place Garden City. I know these are budget properties, and I'm not entitled to any real benefits (and I'm definitely not looking for "upgrades"), but how hard would it be to spend 5 seconds saying something along the lines of: "I see you're a Globalist, thank you for your loyalty. Can I offer you two bottles of water?" Is there really no brand standard greeting at these properties? Has there ever been one?
WVmike likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Recently had three consecutive stays at limited service properties in which the desk agent at check-in simply handed me my key without acknowledging Glob status or even offering a bottle of water -- Hyatt House Mt. Laurel, Hyatt House Carlsbad, Hyatt Place Garden City. I know these are budget properties, and I'm not entitled to any real benefits (and I'm definitely not looking for "upgrades"), but how hard would it be to spend 5 seconds saying something along the lines of: "I see you're a Globalist, thank you for your loyalty. Can I offer you two bottles of water?" Is there really no brand standard greeting at these properties? Has there ever been one?
Acknowledging your status is part of the “standard” process.

Personally I’d rather save the five seconds and not have to waste time listening to it.
Old May 15, 2023, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm with @coleslaw - save me the time and get done with me faster and we'll all be happy.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I mean, at least if they acknowledge that I'm a Globalist, I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything because they just aren't paying attention.. which sounds paranoid, except it's happened to me at multiple Hyatt Regency properties (i.e. silent check-in, following by my prompting "Any Globalist benefits?", followed by upgrades and description of Regency club hours).

And seriously, what are you doing with those five seconds? Getting five steps closer to the elevator?
lautaro and WVmike like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
And seriously, what are you doing with those five seconds? Getting five steps closer to the elevator?
Yes.

The first few times it's a novelty. It gets old pretty quickly.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I mean, at least if they acknowledge that I'm a Globalist, I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything because they just aren't paying attention.. which sounds paranoid, except it's happened to me at multiple Hyatt Regency properties (i.e. silent check-in, following by my prompting "Any Globalist benefits?", followed by upgrades and description of Regency club hours).

I completely agree - if they don't mention it, it just means that I won't be getting upgrades, late checkout, and breakfast information without having to pull a "Do you know I'm a Globalist?"
Old May 15, 2023, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
but how hard would it be to spend 5 seconds saying something along the lines of: "I see you're a Globalist, thank you for your loyalty. Can I offer you two bottles of water?" Is there really no brand standard greeting at these properties? Has there ever been one?
That’s pretty much the experience I had this week, twice, at HPs. As a mere Explorist to boot.

Also followed by “Will you need late checkout tomorrow?” And then the breakfast spiel.

I think it is the brand standard, but some properties or staffers don’t follow the standard.

If you weren’t offered the water you deserve and it’s not waiting for you in the room, I would mention that in the post stay survey.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:04 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I honestly don‘t really care either. If ot is standard, it is probably off a script, so not really personal, as someone at the Chicago Headquarters told them to do so.

I much prefer something like this, what I posted in The HR Dar es Salam thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32023014-post10.html

​​​​​​​

check-in was efficient and friendly. when the agent pulled up my reservation, she noticed I was LT Glob. "you are a Lifetime Globalist" ... then a pause for about 5 seconds and then a... "wow".. . don't seem to be that many LTG there... she thanked me for the loyalty and I could feel in her voice that it was truly appreciated and came from her heart..... not like the standard "thank you for your loyalty" in the US.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If you weren’t offered the water you deserve and it’s not waiting for you in the room, I would mention that in the post stay survey.
Luckily, it’s been a while since I wasn’t proactively offered bottled water during check-in at HH/HPs, but if it’s not offered just before I’m ready to leave the check-in desk, I’ll usually ask if there’s water bottles in the room, which usually prompts the desk agent to get them for me or they just let me take some from the grab and go.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
We get acknowledged but seldom the upgrades. I vote for skip the acknowledgments unless I am getting an upgrade or a free beer.
WVmike likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm with @coleslaw - save me the time and get done with me faster and we'll all be happy.
Or better yet for me, let kiosk and app check-in work to check-in and get keys all while sparing people from having to wait to talk to a hotel employee when they don’t need or want to do so. The machine greeting and “thank you for being a valued whatever” is fine by me as long as it doesn’t impinge upon delivery of status benefits.
Old May 16, 2023, 4:25 am

Programs: Confirmed
interesting - at Place and House I get more recognition (the words, water, reduced bill, upgrades) more frequently than Regency and Grand. I guess it’s a property thing
Old May 16, 2023, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes.

The first few times it's a novelty. It gets old pretty quickly.
It's never gotten old to me, even going back to the Passport days, because don't care about the "thank you" itself. I don't view it as an employee genuinely thanking me for my loyalty (seriously, why would they care?) -- rather, it is an acknowledgement that the employee recognizes the services they are obliged to provide, and I don't have to wonder whether I didn't get X/Y/Z because someone wasn't paying attention.
Old May 16, 2023, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Or better yet for me, let kiosk and app check-in work to check-in and get keys all while sparing people from having to wait to talk to a hotel employee when they don’t need or want to do so. The machine greeting and “thank you for being a valued whatever” is fine by me as long as it doesn’t impinge upon delivery of status benefits.
That would be fine too! A kiosk could display, in big letters, "THANK YOU FOR BEING A GLOBALIST", followed by a list of eligible benefits/upgrades at the property. And it would be done every time, and I wouldn't have to wonder whether I was missing out on something.
Warriorconcept and GUWonder like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 5:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's never gotten old to me, even going back to the Passport days, because don't care about the "thank you" itself. I don't view it as an employee genuinely thanking me for my loyalty (seriously, why would they care?) -- rather, it is an acknowledgement that the employee recognizes the services they are obliged to provide, and I don't have to wonder whether I didn't get X/Y/Z because someone wasn't paying attention.
Unfortunately, a script like that said by the agents at the front desk doesn’t necessarily mean as much as it should, but at least that way the hotel guest knows the hotel knew at check-in that the guest has an elite status level that is supposed to mean something whether or not they just talk a game about an upgrade that really wasn’t.

That would be fine too! A kiosk could display, in big letters, "THANK YOU FOR BEING A GLOBALIST", followed by a list of eligible benefits/upgrades at the property. And it would be done every time, and I wouldn't have to wonder whether I was missing out on something.
Indeed that would be fine by me too. But I find that I tend to get better upgrades when dealing with real people at check in rather than being stuck using a kiosk. And yet more options for checking in are better for me to get what I want out of my hotel program participation/status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.