Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

MGM Resorts Stays (Posting Data Points) - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MGM Resorts Stays (Posting Data Points) - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by manu08
...you don't personally like...
Not OP. Ghost stays are against T&Cs. Encouraging behavior to violate terms should certainly be frowned upon, and prohibited.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Troopers
Not OP. Ghost stays are against T&Cs. Encouraging behavior to violate terms should certainly be frowned upon, and prohibited.
Point taken, would someone please point me to where in the terms this is specified. I see some quotes in the forum about terms referencing "phantom stays", but I cannot find that in the current Hyatt T&Cs.

My apologies if I'm missing this clarification elsewhere in the thread.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:05 pm

Point taken, would someone please point me to where in the terms this is specified. I see some quotes in the forum about terms referencing "phantom stays", but I cannot find that in the current Hyatt T&Cs.

My apologies if I'm missing this clarification elsewhere in the thread.
What is a Tier-Qualifying Night?

A Tier-Qualifying Night is any night when the member stays at a Hyatt hotel or resort or an MGM Rewards destination, pays an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award, and associates his or her World of Hyatt membership number with the reservation.
https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world...rogram.html#/5

Emphasis added mine.

Tier-Qualifying Nights. A Member may earn awards based on the number of nights the Member (i) stays at a Hyatt hotel or resort; (ii) pays an Eligible Rate or redeems a Free Night Award; and (iii) associates his or her valid Program membership number with the reservation (either at the time of reservation or check-in or by requesting retroactive credit for the night in accordance with Hyatt’s procedures) during the applicable measuring period (each a “Tier-Qualifying Night”).
https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...overviewfooter

ETA: these terms were in place before MGM's mobile check-in/keyless entry, preventing members from booking ghost stays at cheap properties in China, SE Asia and elsewhere.

Last edited by Troopers; Nov 3, 2022 at 6:14 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure if it's reasonable or even likely, I was just trying to illustrate a possible policy reactions given the poster who claimed Hyatt cares if people use ghost runs to achieve globalist for a grand or less in a year.

The answer in part depends on the codeshare agreement. Do we have a sense for the qualities of that agreement? Who's paying who? Based on what?

If you understand the physics of the deal, you could make fairly informed guesses on the possible policy responses based on some simple cohort behavior assumptions (how much $$ do people spend beyond the room rate on ghost runs vs mattress runs vs normal codeshare users).
Well let’s say you do the absolute max which is 14 nights and for the sake of argument you’re physically present as to not violate T&C or have the nights clawed back by some possible policy change.

14 Nights -

Sunday - Thursday cheapest $25 per night that’s $125.

Friday - Saturday typically $150 per night, that’s $300.

$425 plus taxes (not counting the waived resort fee which many have due to status match) that’s about $480 for 7 nights, meaning $960 for 14 nights.

You’d have to do this 4 times to hit Globalist, meaning 4 trips to Vegas and spending roughly $4,000.

Of course if you live nearby and can do stays Sunday - Thursday on a regular basis you can drastically cut the cost down, but that’s a very tiny percentage of people so it’s not really worth factoring.

I would contend that the vast majority who use MGM properties for night credits do so for 4 to 20 nights maximum per year. (Not those who genuinely enjoy Vegas, gambling, and the things there but the people using it for cheap stays is what I’m saying).
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:26 am

I'll be honest, I don't love this gatekeeper vibe. It reads to me like you're encouraging folks to not share anecdotes you don't personally like because you've determined that's the particular line that when crossed, will result in policy changes that harm you.

I mean this seriously, could you please explain the "catastrophic change" you're worried about? Perhaps examples from past policy changes would help illustrate. I could certainly imagine terms that allow them to block/rescind globalist if most of the nightly credits are sub-$50 partner stays or something, but I'm struggling to see "catastrophic" changes.

I am sympathetic to your general point (when a reward/promo program is gamed too hard, policy can of course change in response), but I must push for precision here, because as someone who's personally managed many major partnerships between multi-billion dollar companies, I'm very used to working through this exact sort of thing from the executive seat, and I'm struggling to see the proportionality of the risk you're expressing.
Your post is the embodiment of the selfish, me me me, look at me attitude so many seem to have these days. For one, I could not care less if you don't like my vibe. I don't like your clear posting about breaking the program rules of Hyatt, which is also a clear violation of FT rules on top of that vibe, so I guess we are at an impasse. I don't expect I can change your behavior nor can you change my disapproval. Rather than thinking there is just some arbitrary line I am upset over, god forbid anyone just wish for people to stop running their mouths these days with no care for rules or discretion. Yeah, I am encouraging people to not share anecdotes which are open and detailed discussion about breaking the rules of a program because it could lead to policy changes that will harm everyone...shocking I know. I guess that is the consequence of the Twitter Instagram Facebook world we live in where we conditioned everyone to care about themselves only because every picture of their dinner, comment about their house habits and random 140 character thought they have is important enough for the entire world to need to see it, hear it, like it.

As for your nonsense assertion that Hyatt won't care if people earn Globalist status and all the perks by spending a few hundred dollars at a 3rd party that is not even owned or controlled by Hyatt (so yielding even LESS revenue to Hyatt than was even spent) while wildly breaking the rules in a way that allows ANYONE worldwide to do it at their leisure is so fantastically ridiculous, I can't believe you wrote it. Sure...Hyatt wants everyone everywhere to be able to click a few buttons on their app and get suite upgrades, free breakfast, and a few hundred in free nights for nothing . Yeah they definitely don't care. You don't care because like others like you, you clearly care about no one but yourself and when Hyatt inevitably reduces the ability or simplicity for people to get dirt cheap MGM credit, you won't care. And sure, like so many others, you of course are an expert who thinks a company whose entire business being selling hotel nights, is going to not care about giving away their main product at a loss, as well as the expansion of people taking advantage of that loophole for dirt cheap loss generating status. You are also apparently an executive of billion dollar deals who has to cheat your way to hotel status with $30 phantom MGM stays.

Among the multitude of several glaringly obvious possible negative changes, of which apparently you cannot come up with any on your own, allow me to point out just one this will likely lead to/accelerate...the implementation of minimum total dollar spend for status levels like airline programs...which will nullify the value of MGM stays entirely for status purposes. Easy to add, guaranteed already on the table, and more people earning top status for minimal cost and ADR will bring that faster. Not that you care because I am sure you are already spending tens of thousands a year at Hyatt properties anyway and your $30 ghost stays are purely an academic exercise.

I just find it insanely amusing that people think in a public forum where a company actively monitors, to keep screaming "I am exploiting your rules for my gain and I did it in 2 easy steps! Everyone else, do this!" and think they won't care or ever take action is hilarious. This is why all the REALLY good travel info and loopholes are private held and kept secret, because people just feel the endless need to scream from the rooftops whenever they get one over on a travel company or program. And yeah...people must keep those things secret out of their own gatekeeper issues because clearly companies don't care so why bother keeping them secret?

The FT rules are very clear in that "Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited." OPENLY and endlessly discussing in detail how to clearly violate the very unambiguous rules of a hotel program for material gain is, beside being so myopic and selfish to begin with, is a clear violation of the FT rules that are supposed to be in place here as well as the Hyatt program rules. Yeah, I guess I could do without the continual lack of respect for any kind of rules here. Guilty.
Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by antonius66; Nov 4, 2022 at 8:46 am Reason: Formatting
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by antonius66
Your post is the embodiment of the selfish, me me me, look at me attitude so many seem to have these days. For one, I could not care less if you don't like my vibe. I don't like your clear posting about breaking the program rules of Hyatt, which is also a clear violation of FT rules on top of that vibe, so I guess we are at an impasse. I don't expect I can change your behavior nor can you change my disapproval. Rather than thinking there is just some arbitrary line I am upset over, god forbid anyone just wish for people to stop running their mouths these days with no care for rules or discretion. Yeah, I am encouraging people to not share anecdotes which are open and detailed discussion about breaking the rules of a program because it could lead to policy changes that will harm everyone...shocking I know. I guess that is the consequence of the Twitter Instagram Facebook world we live in where we conditioned everyone to care about themselves only because every picture of their dinner, comment about their house habits and random 140 character thought they have is important enough for the entire world to need to see it, hear it, like it.

As for your nonsense assertion that Hyatt won't care if people earn Globalist status and all the perks by spending a few hundred dollars at a 3rd party that is not even owned or controlled by Hyatt (so yielding even LESS revenue to Hyatt than was even spent) while wildly breaking the rules in a way that allows ANYONE worldwide to do it at their leisure is so fantastically ridiculous, I can't believe you wrote it. Sure...Hyatt wants everyone everywhere to be able to click a few buttons on their app and get suite upgrades, free breakfast, and a few hundred in free nights for nothing . Yeah they definitely don't care. You don't care because like others like you, you clearly care about no one but yourself and when Hyatt inevitably reduces the ability or simplicity for people to get dirt cheap MGM credit, you won't care. And sure, like so many others, you of course are an expert who thinks a company whose entire business being selling hotel nights, is going to not care about giving away their main product at a loss, as well as the expansion of people taking advantage of that loophole for dirt cheap loss generating status. You are also apparently an executive of billion dollar deals who has to cheat your way to hotel status with $30 phantom MGM stays.

Among the multitude of several glaringly obvious possible negative changes, of which apparently you cannot come up with any on your own, allow me to point out just one this will likely lead to/accelerate...the implementation of minimum total dollar spend for status levels like airline programs...which will nullify the value of MGM stays entirely for status purposes. Easy to add, guaranteed already on the table, and more people earning top status for minimal cost and ADR will bring that faster. Not that you care because I am sure you are already spending tens of thousands a year at Hyatt properties anyway and your $30 ghost stays are purely an academic exercise.

I just find it insanely amusing that people think in a public forum where a company actively monitors, to keep screaming "I am exploiting your rules for my gain and I did it in 2 easy steps! Everyone else, do this!" and think they won't care or ever take action is hilarious. This is why all the REALLY good travel info and loopholes are private held and kept secret, because people just feel the endless need to scream from the rooftops whenever they get one over on a travel company or program. And yeah...people must keep those things secret out of their own gatekeeper issues because clearly companies don't care so why bother keeping them secret?

The FT rules are very clear in that "Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited." OPENLY and endlessly discussing in detail how to clearly violate the very unambiguous rules of a hotel program for material gain is, beside being so myopic and selfish to begin with, is a clear violation of the FT rules that are supposed to be in place here as well as the Hyatt program rules. Yeah, I guess I could do without the continual lack of respect for any kind of rules here. Guilty.
I agree with you, we should not support or celebrate clear violations of terms. It was not clear to me that ghost/phantom stays were clearly against terms (my perception was that it was more of a gray area), thank you all for the correction.

I'll disengage from the rest of the debate substance in your post on corporate policy and oversight, it's tangential to the broader purpose of this thread, and it's clearly not going to be productive.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Aria 2 night paid stay, checkout Tuesday, points/double points posted following Sunday morning.

Park MGM, 2 nights using Cat 1-4 cert (happy to be able to use these for Fri & Sat nights in the $350 range). Check out last Sunday. Posted today. I was watching this one, per the heads up from ConanOBrien above describing points nights at Aria needing a little intervention. My cert nights posted on their own.
I always check in and out in person at the MGM Gold etc desk. YMMV but MGM Gold desk took off the resort fees for these Hyatt-booked cert nights.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Steph58
I always check in and out in person at the MGM Gold etc desk. YMMV but MGM Gold desk took off the resort fees for these Hyatt-booked cert nights.
Just used a cert and points for a weekend stay at ParkMGM. According to the VIP check-in clerk, 'Since you booked through Hyatt I have to charge the resort fee.' Really, you have to? Wouldn't budge, but good to know it's possible. I'll HUCA so to speak next time.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Among the multitude of several glaringly obvious possible negative changes, of which apparently you cannot come up with any on your own, allow me to point out just one this will likely lead to/accelerate...the implementation of minimum total dollar spend for status levels like airline programs...which will nullify the value of MGM stays entirely for status purposes. Easy to add, guaranteed already on the table, and more people earning top status for minimal cost and ADR will bring that faster.
Let us not forget that they already moved closer to that by removing the ability to qualify by stays which people exploited by doing single night stays or hotel hopping to hit the stay requirement far faster than the night requirement. It was not against the rules but was less profitable and eliminated.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:38 am

3 night stay October 3-6

I stayed at Luxor for 3 nights. 2 comped and 1 with a lower rate. Will this count towards nights/Explorist Challenge? Still haven’t gotten credited. They said 30 business days. They said they’ve gotten notification from MGM about the stay.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Trueson1994
I stayed at Luxor for 3 nights. 2 comped and 1 with a lower rate. Will this count towards nights/Explorist Challenge? Still haven’t gotten credited. They said 30 business days. They said they’ve gotten notification from MGM about the stay.
If it didn't post automatically you 99.9% will likely only get credit for that 1 paid night after they do the manual crediting process.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by AllThePants
If it didn't post automatically you 99.9% will likely only get credit for that 1 paid night after they do the manual crediting process.
Well damn. I need 3 nights for Explorist
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:04 pm

Most recent stay, no auto post like always, emailed at around 30, got email saying they sent over manual credit request, 16 days later still nothing. Never ever had a stay not post within 3 days of having manual credit request sent from MGM. Really getting tired of this. Every single stay... no credit, wait a month, email wait weeks, then get credit. Hopefully now that last step isn't going to become several weeks also as a regular thing.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Most recent stay, no auto post like always, emailed at around 30, got email saying they sent over manual credit request, 16 days later still nothing. Never ever had a stay not post within 3 days of having manual credit request sent from MGM. Really getting tired of this. Every single stay... no credit, wait a month, email wait weeks, then get credit. Hopefully now that last step isn't going to become several weeks also as a regular thing.
How many nights in your stays are comped?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:57 pm

0. Never had a single comped night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.