Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Kind of the opposite, we leave Omaha at 6 am so up at 4 - I would imagine we will be pretty tired on day one, (2 hour time difference) so any room is ok - says King bed w/fireplace
Now I see I can book a Vista hot tub room for 60k the second night (Big Sur Suite booked now) — I assume it would be no problem switching the second day.
I think it’s the same as what was said

You book a standard room on day 1, expect to stay in a standard room on day 1. You book a suite on day 2, expect to stay in a suite on day 2.

Depending on many factors you may get lucky and be put into the same suite for the entire stay, or you may need to change rooms. Just go into the situation assuming you’ll have to change rooms and you’ll have lost nothing.
burnerx213 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
For dinner, is it possible to order more than one main entree?
I'm just wondering if there is a limit to the amount of food one can order per meal.
people ordered more than one when we were there. No way I’d have room but yes you could!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
people ordered more than one when we were there. No way I’d have room but yes you could!
Great, thanks for letting me know!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
Sorry to bump my prior message but I didn't get much response. I think I have a pretty good idea on weather but still happy to hear any opinions here. Primary question is if the hotel upgrades from standard suite to premium suite for Globalist checkin upgrade. Or will they not upgrade since I'd already be booked into a suite?
Last week we were booked on points in a regular room and were upgraded to the Big Sur Villa for our 3 nights. Really a fantastic experience and we are already looking to book again.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:49 am

Can anyone comment on the pacific house suite?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by agjil
For dinner, is it possible to order more than one main entree?
I'm just wondering if there is a limit to the amount of food one can order per meal.
I know we ordered an extra appetizer and dessert and they didn’t blink, but the portions are pretty good size. Not like inclusive meals at Miraval.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Raskage
I know we ordered an extra appetizer and dessert and they didn’t blink, but the portions are pretty good size. Not like inclusive meals at Miraval.
Awesome, good to know, thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Scrotty
I just spent three nights in a Pacific House Suite via Points+TSU. The room was great and enjoyed my first visit to property, but no comparison to baseline options. The Pacific House is close to the fitness center and Mountain pool which was convenient. The vaulted ceilings and upper windows had a very pleasant ambience of being immersed in the forest. We did not use the fireplace or patio hot tub, but could see those being popular especially in fall/winter. as noted below, we enjoyed having no upper/lower level neighbor, so that could make this quieter than some of the multi-level buildings.
a few others had thoughts, but I would say it presents well on website since mainly 1 large room.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32661022-post551.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33184333-post1019.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32594485-post400.html

Last edited by TrojanDomer; Jul 15, 2021 at 11:39 am
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:44 am

Had a stay in Pacific House suite. Thought it was great, although i don't know if i'd spend double the points for it vs regular room w/ fireplace.

Larger room (I think ~650 maybe vs ~400-450 for standard room). Definitely a more roomy bathroom (main room bathroom is snug). sitting area with built in bench and table. unobstructed views, but i wouldn't characterize as ocean views...more forest with the ocean peeking through in the distance. We very much enjoyed the hot tub on the patio...which can definitely come in handy year round given the fog situation.

Biggest benefit i saw to Pacific House is that it is all one level with concrete pathway. No one above or below you...and no wood decking. We had a recent stay in a deluxe king with fireplace. Luckily top floor so no one above, but we definitely noticed noise around us with peopel coming and going on the stairs and the wood decking.
TrojanDomer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Can anyone speak to the standard food offerings? Are they solid, or will you be upgrading your food options constantly. Obviously alcohol would be an upgrade, but am curious about the other offerings.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Can anyone speak to the standard food offerings? Are they solid, or will you be upgrading your food options constantly. Obviously alcohol would be an upgrade, but am curious about the other offerings.
this past week, there was no upgraded option, so food was as presented, everything included. I had worked through most of my options by the 3rd day, but I wouldn't consider the food anything that would cause me to go off property over.
Menu's were directly from website, so this will give you an idea of at least current level of items.
https://www.ventanabigsur.com/menus/
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
More modern design, somewhat out of character with the property IMHO. Also I prefer a hammock and a forest view. Just my preference.

Any room at Ventana is a great room. But I would not pay extra for Pacific House suite. Big Sur Suite feels warmer IMHO.
TrojanDomer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:46 am

Cash Upgrade Experience?

I have no status or even history (with this account) with Hyatt but I have a visit coming up over a weekend. I see availability on their site through cash. Anyone know if I can offer to pay cash for an upgrade or if that's even possible on a points stay?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dsiderx2
I have no status or even history (with this account) with Hyatt but I have a visit coming up over a weekend. I see availability on their site through cash. Anyone know if I can offer to pay cash for an upgrade or if that's even possible on a points stay?
I would probably call in advance and check on whether they would entertain cash upgrades. What I saw was high occupancy and then upgrades based on status, so it is possible the base rooms would be available or you may naturally see a slight upgrade through the App the morning of, but may not be guaranteed any options at check-in.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer
I just spent three nights in a Pacific House Suite via Points+TSU. The room was great and enjoyed my first visit to property, but no comparison to baseline options. The Pacific House is close to the fitness center and Mountain pool which was convenient. The vaulted ceilings and upper windows had a very pleasant ambience of being immersed in the forest. We did not use the fireplace or patio hot tub, but could see those being popular especially in fall/winter. as noted below, we enjoyed having no upper/lower level neighbor, so that could make this quieter than some of the multi-level buildings.
a few others had thoughts, but I would say it presents well on website since mainly 1 large room.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32661022-post551.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33184333-post1019.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32594485-post400.html
Originally Posted by boolean64
Had a stay in Pacific House suite. Thought it was great, although i don't know if i'd spend double the points for it vs regular room w/ fireplace.

Larger room (I think ~650 maybe vs ~400-450 for standard room). Definitely a more roomy bathroom (main room bathroom is snug). sitting area with built in bench and table. unobstructed views, but i wouldn't characterize as ocean views...more forest with the ocean peeking through in the distance. We very much enjoyed the hot tub on the patio...which can definitely come in handy year round given the fog situation.

Biggest benefit i saw to Pacific House is that it is all one level with concrete pathway. No one above or below you...and no wood decking. We had a recent stay in a deluxe king with fireplace. Luckily top floor so no one above, but we definitely noticed noise around us with peopel coming and going on the stairs and the wood decking.
Originally Posted by nsx
More modern design, somewhat out of character with the property IMHO. Also I prefer a hammock and a forest view. Just my preference.

Any room at Ventana is a great room. But I would not pay extra for Pacific House suite. Big Sur Suite feels warmer IMHO.
I used a TSU on top of the 30k per night. Originally they assigned us the outdoor shower suite, however I asked my concierge to request the pacific house suite for the outdoor tub which the resort later confirmed. Do you think this was the wrong choice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.