Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by RTW1
The WOH is nothing more than GP trying to cut cost after one ....up after another last year.
The "problem" Hyatt is trying to solve is more like a hypothesis they are testing, viz. we could be investing less in loyalty / retention and achieve the same results. There is no "problem" with the status quo other than the nagging suspicion that they could do it cheaper. Most loyalty programs go through this; few get more generous over time. Some are surprised by the penalties that come with getting stingier (see UA / MP / HVF exodus), but most times the hypothesis is proven out.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by woresu
Apart from devaluating the HGP. I think they are trying to maximize the residual value of the newly minted Diamond.

In 2017, occupancy rate at full service Hyatt will not be an issue:
- High profile Diamond will still be high profile
- Marginal diamond will try to burnt point asap
- Matched diamond in 2016 will hv 4 Club access, very likely they will still stay Hyatt to enjoy the Club

For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.

In 2018, they can simply have a new round of matches or challenges, or maybe, launch the highly-anticipated Globalist amenity , or status buy-back etc~~~

It's all about Occupancy rate, RevPAR, room in pipeline blah blah blah. Who cares loyalty. They work only for Money.
That about sums it up.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by woresu
For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.
A lot of assumptions that have little to do with reality....

- Those 1000 points per stay as the Diamond amenity hardly have any cost for a property.
- Upgrades aren't affected one bit by this, and free upgrades costs are small (if any) when those rooms reamin unsold.
- Rates are not the only thing that benefit the bottom line. Lots of HP/HH generate a decent amount of profit per night.

It all comes down to cost cutting and trying to see how fat they can go.

The only real benefit for the properties I see is the cutting down on DSU's. After flooding the market with these they were due for an adjustment....
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:27 pm

Chase Hyatt card

Since the new program doesn't start until March 1, does that mean if I spend $20,000 and $40,000 on my Chase Hyatt card before March 1 (between January 1 and February 28) that I would still receive 5 nights and an additional 5 nights credited towards my 2017 total nights?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by hailstorm
This article claims that over 30000 people took advantage of the status matching last year, and that WoH has the potential to bring in 30000-40000 new customers next year.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-hy...ogram-cm715985
that was a hilarious article. I'm going to guess that Trefis is paid by companies to write glowing reviews to pump the stock price.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"longer stays irrespective of the number of stays"

because having too many stays was holding people back?

That is a pretty clueless article. This is particularly groundbreaking:

"The new loyalty program will let customers earn points through the dollars they spend at Hyatt brands."

Imagine! How in the world did they come up with this idea?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alluu
Since the new program doesn't start until March 1, does that mean if I spend $20,000 and $40,000 on my Chase Hyatt card before March 1 (between January 1 and February 28) that I would still receive 5 nights and an additional 5 nights credited towards my 2017 total nights?
I asked my Hyatt Concierge this and he said that they do NOT count toward 2017 re-qualification. I'm not sure if they would count for qualifying by February 28th though (the blogs say yes).

Getting rid of the Hyatt CC spend credit along with losing the Diamond amenity and requiring current Diamonds to have 60 nights vs. 55 this first year are the final straws in my book, after having Diamond most years since 2004. I was originally planning on 80 to 100+ nights this year with Hyatt before WOH came out (all at full service properties), then thought I'd just do 45 (plus my 10 from the CC spend) to try out Globalist for a year or two, but given these latest developments, instead I just booked almost 50 nights with Airbnb/VRBO type sites that would have usually gone to Hyatt, booked 400K in award nights to start burning Hyatt points, then will start trying out SPG/Ritz Carlton and Fairmont (using Virtuoso and Chase Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection to get free breakfast when possible). Maybe I'll come back in a few years if things improve, but I kind of like the idea of actually staying at the closest, nicest hotel rather than driving an extra 30-40 miles or staying at an inferior property.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:17 pm

If this was because of the diamond status matches, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would change the program next year. 95 percent of those matched will no longer be diamond in March, so isn't the problem resolving itself in a couple months?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by jdbcc
If this was because of the diamond status matches, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would change the program next year. 95 percent of those matched will no longer be diamond in March, so isn't the problem resolving itself in a couple months?
It would be resolving itself, but Hyatt decided to soft land all these matched Diamonds and bid them farewell with four club upgrade certificates (slapping forehead).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jdbcc
This has nothing to do with the alleged status match floodgates fueled by the bloggers, because as you surmised this problem goes away automatically in a year. It's some sort of internal knee jerk reaction to capitulate to some noisy franchisees. If other commenters in this thread are to be believed, there is going to be a correction in the program - with some actual loyal spenders walking to their competitors.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpdx
It would be resolving itself, but Hyatt decided to soft land all these matched Diamonds and bid them farewell with four club upgrade certificates (slapping forehead).
That's another of the WOH things that really is too stupid to believe....

Now club access in the US is really of little value at most of the properties, and that's where most status matchers are likely to stay. But at some other properties it's another nice freeby.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:22 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
? Needed points for the Club upselling

Does anyone know if the upselling instrument from the standard room tor the Club level for 3,000 points per night is changed?

As previously written I think this is the greatest feature of the Gold Passport programme. ^

Info would bei fine.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by JackE
I can't figure out what problem they are trying to solve.
Thought experiment: Once upon a time, Hyatt hired some conslutants...

Conslutant#1: Here's your solution!

Conslutant#2: Here's our invoice

Conslutant#3: What was the question?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:12 pm

I am a Diamond member with expiration of 02/2017 since I have not qualified yet for 2017.

If I complete 25 stays from 01/01/17 through 02/28/17, will my Diamond/Globalist status expire in 03/2018 of 03/2019? I understand that I need 35 more nights to qualify for additional DSU certs, but I was curious about the expiration of my Diamond/Globalist status.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
After more consideration, the benefit of the Cat 1-4 certificates earned by staying at different Hyatt brands is even worse than I thought. It's not just that they're once in a lifetime, it's that it will be nearly impossible for me to earn both of them.

There are 12 Hyatt brands: Park, Grand, Hyatt, Regency, Andaz, Centric, House, Place, Unbound, Zilara, Ziva, and Vacation Club.

What I realized is that the first cert will be easy to earn by staying at a combo of HR, GH, HP, HH, Centric, and Andaz, but the 2nd cert will be nearly impossible. I'm forced to stay at either a Zilara, Ziva, or Vacation Club to earn the second cert, which I have no desire to do.

In other words, it would be easy to get to 9 brands for me but painful to get to 10.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Dec 12, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.