Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by antonius66
Pretty sure this is wrong. I believe once you are Diamond (I still refuse to say the stupid new names...NEVER!), you only need 55 from there unless you fail to re-qualify one year, then you need 60 again. I am relatively confident if you are Diamond now, you need 55 next year.
Nope.

From the WoH FAQ:

A member who qualifies for Globalist status by completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points in a calendar year starting in 2017 may re-qualify for Globalist status for the following year by completing a minimum of 55 Tier-Qualifying Nights in that calendar year. (A Member who re-qualifies for Globalist status in this manner may continue to do so in consecutive calendar years thereafter.) For example, members who qualify for Globalist status by completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points in the 2017 calendar year can maintain Globalist status by completing a minimum of 55 Tier-Qualifying Nights each consecutive subsequent year. Members who receive Globalist status through any means other than completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points will not be eligible for the reduced Tier-Qualifying Nights threshold.
FAQ

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 10, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I can't figure out what problem they are trying to solve.

Is it too many Diamonds? That can't be it since they were aggressively status matching recently.

Is it too much business? Then why expand their footprint.

Is it crowded RCs? I've not found that to be a big problem, but if it is it could be solved by expanding them.

Is it old-fashioned greed? That never ends well.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope.

From the WoH FAQ:

FAQ
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by JackE

Is it too many Diamonds? That can't be it since they were aggressively status matching recently.

Is it too much business? Then why expand their footprint.

Is it crowded RCs? I've not found that to be a big problem, but if it is it could be solved by expanding them.

Is it old-fashioned greed? That never ends well.
I think you answered one too many Diamonds but that's their own damn fault with the knee jerk reaction status match everyone went through last year. That issue is working it's way out. Do they want to up the "cost" most likely. But in comparison to the "others" not proportionate to their footprint around the world. That is a rub.

Crowded RC, yes I have seen some but to be honest with you within the US the offerings in the RC are minimal compared to say Marriott. At least with Marriott in the mornings you will get hot eggs and bacon. And for me having that protein in the am is important. Overseas their breakfast is fantastic. But as I have written there are two Hyatt's, one US and one international for the most part not owned by equity capitol or other groups bleeding the properties.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by antonius66
Pretty sure this is wrong. I believe once you are Diamond (I still refuse to say the stupid new names...NEVER!), you only need 55 from there unless you fail to re-qualify one year, then you need 60 again. I am relatively confident if you are Diamond now, you need 55 next year.
You are incorrect! Just go re-read the T&C.

I even called the HGP Diamond Desk and they confirmed that a current Diamond still has to qualify with 60 nights and then will requalify for 55 nights in subsequent years
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackE
Seems pretty clear that many properties believe the program as it currently exists requires them to give too many freebies to too many undeserving "elites." This viewpoint has been reflected for some time in DSU suite category shenanigans, award inventory games, disregard for "best available room," and issues with the breakfast benefit.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Award inventory games' don't really fall under elite problems.

That's a whole other situation that Hyatt really needs to address. And one where SPG shines.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly.... there are a few properties that have been flooded with Diamonds and DSU's (lots of them from status matchers). But for most those elite benefits consist of club acces (which hardly costs them anything, especially in the US) and upgrading to a better room, that remained unsold, whenever they feel like it. That's about it....

And for properties that don't get anything for suite upgrades.... that blame is on GP, put pressure on them to get a redemption for it. Award redemptions can be made by any GP member, status means nothing.

The WOH is nothing more than GP trying to cut cost after one ....up after another last year. They must have been dizy from all those powerpoints with silly names. Very little to do with anything the properties have influence over.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
'Award inventory games' don't really fall under elite problems.
Sure they do. When a Diamond books an award room, it comes with all the Diamond benefits. This just compounds the 'loss' in the eyes of the property.

Originally Posted by RTW1
The WOH is nothing more than GP trying to cut cost after one ....
It's the properties, not corporate, that bear the bulk of the cost of Diamond benefits.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:07 pm

Seems pretty clear that many properties believe the program as it currently exists requires them to give too many freebies to too many undeserving "elites." This viewpoint has been reflected for some time in DSU suite category shenanigans, award inventory games, disregard for "best available room," and issues with the breakfast benefit.
Kacee, I think the majority of those are equity capitol or trust owned companies. It's all about the bottom line. I do business in that world and can tell you there is a lot of "deferred" maintenance to go around !!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Sure they do. When a Diamond books an award room, it comes with all the Diamond benefits. This just compounds the 'loss' in the eyes of the property.

It's the properties, not corporate, that bear the bulk of the cost of Diamond benefits.
This is what I believe is the prime mover in the World of Hurt program:

A promise from Hyatt Corporate that the franchisees will see reduced costs from elite perks.

The new looser language about the "Best Room Available " upgrade, which may not, in fact, be a better room than booked, at the sole discretion of the property, is hole big enough to drive a truck through in allowing franchisees to avoid upgrading Globs to better rooms or suites.

From the WOH T+C(bolding mine):

"(c) Best Room Available: Globalists will receive the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, including standard suites and rooms with Club lounge-access. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Best-room-available benefit includes only standard suites (where available), which are defined as rooms within each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category. Specialty, Premier, Presidential, Diplomatic, and other suites other than standard suites are not included in this benefit. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts or at M life Resorts."

Along with reduced breakfast provisioning costs due to a reduced Diamond population, and no more Diamond Amenities, these changes should result in higher yield per room night for the franchisees. Of course, this is dependent on occupancy rates not dropping, which is doubtful given the increase in the relative attractiveness of Marriott and Hilton after these program changes.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 10, 2016 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth

A promise from Hyatt Corporate that the franchisees will see reduced costs from elite perks.

The new looser language about the "Best Room Available " upgrade, which may not, in fact, be a better room than booked, at the sole discretion of the property, is hole big enough for a truck to drive through in allowing franchisees to avoid upgrading Globs to better rooms or suites.

From the WOH T+C(bolding mine):

"(c) Best Room Available: Globalists will receive the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, including standard suites and rooms with Club lounge-access. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Best-room-available benefit includes only standard suites (where available), which are defined as rooms within each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category. Specialty, Premier, Presidential, Diplomatic, and other suites other than standard suites are not included in this benefit. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts or at M life Resorts."
^
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are you a newly minted Diamond, or is this a renewal card?

Not that the card serves any purpose beyond ice scraping your car windows...
Not at all...this is my 11th year of being Diamond...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by 2485TravelGuy
Not at all...this is my 11th year of being Diamond...
well he has his "training" wheels off !!!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth

Apart from devaluating the HGP. I think they are trying to maximize the residual value of the newly minted Diamond.

In 2017, occupancy rate at full service Hyatt will not be an issue:
- High profile Diamond will still be high profile
- Marginal diamond will try to burnt point asap
- Matched diamond in 2016 will hv 4 Club access, very likely they will still stay Hyatt to enjoy the Club

For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.

In 2018, they can simply have a new round of matches or challenges, or maybe, launch the highly-anticipated Globalist amenity , or status buy-back etc~~~

It's all about Occupancy rate, RevPAR, room in pipeline blah blah blah. Who cares loyalty. They work only for Money.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:07 am

A 5th-Night-Free benefit would have been nice vs waived resort fees / parking fees.

Hilton, Marriott, Starwood all offer this.

It is discouraging when an elite program realigns their agenda with the competition but in the process doesn't try to make the program "equal" to that of the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.