World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 16, 8:01 am
  #1996  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
This is what I believe is the prime mover in the World of Hurt program:

A promise from Hyatt Corporate that the franchisees will see reduced costs from elite perks.
Apart from devaluating the HGP. I think they are trying to maximize the residual value of the newly minted Diamond.

In 2017, occupancy rate at full service Hyatt will not be an issue:
- High profile Diamond will still be high profile
- Marginal diamond will try to burnt point asap
- Matched diamond in 2016 will hv 4 Club access, very likely they will still stay Hyatt to enjoy the Club

For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.

In 2018, they can simply have a new round of matches or challenges, or maybe, launch the highly-anticipated Globalist amenity , or status buy-back etc~~~

It's all about Occupancy rate, RevPAR, room in pipeline blah blah blah. Who cares loyalty. They work only for Money.
woresu is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 8:07 am
  #1997  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 2,103
A 5th-Night-Free benefit would have been nice vs waived resort fees / parking fees.

Hilton, Marriott, Starwood all offer this.

It is discouraging when an elite program realigns their agenda with the competition but in the process doesn't try to make the program "equal" to that of the competition.
CodeAdam10 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 8:31 am
  #1998  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,101
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
The WOH is nothing more than GP trying to cut cost after one ....up after another last year.
The "problem" Hyatt is trying to solve is more like a hypothesis they are testing, viz. we could be investing less in loyalty / retention and achieve the same results. There is no "problem" with the status quo other than the nagging suspicion that they could do it cheaper. Most loyalty programs go through this; few get more generous over time. Some are surprised by the penalties that come with getting stingier (see UA / MP / HVF exodus), but most times the hypothesis is proven out.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 12:54 pm
  #1999  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,288
Originally Posted by woresu View Post
Apart from devaluating the HGP. I think they are trying to maximize the residual value of the newly minted Diamond.

In 2017, occupancy rate at full service Hyatt will not be an issue:
- High profile Diamond will still be high profile
- Marginal diamond will try to burnt point asap
- Matched diamond in 2016 will hv 4 Club access, very likely they will still stay Hyatt to enjoy the Club

For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.

In 2018, they can simply have a new round of matches or challenges, or maybe, launch the highly-anticipated Globalist amenity , or status buy-back etc~~~

It's all about Occupancy rate, RevPAR, room in pipeline blah blah blah. Who cares loyalty. They work only for Money.
That about sums it up.
edgewood49 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 3:04 pm
  #2000  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by woresu View Post
For general Hyatt hotel owners:
- Diamond Amenity gone, very good cost saving for fewer upgrades and breakfasts, and less crowded lounge

Those affected most will be Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, and I don't think this is Hyatt's major revenue stream. Fees of limited service property are generally lower.
A lot of assumptions that have little to do with reality....

- Those 1000 points per stay as the Diamond amenity hardly have any cost for a property.
- Upgrades aren't affected one bit by this, and free upgrades costs are small (if any) when those rooms reamin unsold.
- Rates are not the only thing that benefit the bottom line. Lots of HP/HH generate a decent amount of profit per night.

It all comes down to cost cutting and trying to see how fat they can go.

The only real benefit for the properties I see is the cutting down on DSU's. After flooding the market with these they were due for an adjustment....
RTW1 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 3:27 pm
  #2001  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 16
Chase Hyatt card

Since the new program doesn't start until March 1, does that mean if I spend $20,000 and $40,000 on my Chase Hyatt card before March 1 (between January 1 and February 28) that I would still receive 5 nights and an additional 5 nights credited towards my 2017 total nights?
alluu is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 4:21 pm
  #2002  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
This article claims that over 30000 people took advantage of the status matching last year, and that WoH has the potential to bring in 30000-40000 new customers next year.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-hy...ogram-cm715985
that was a hilarious article. I'm going to guess that Trefis is paid by companies to write glowing reviews to pump the stock price.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 4:38 pm
  #2003  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,023
"longer stays irrespective of the number of stays"

because having too many stays was holding people back?

That is a pretty clueless article. This is particularly groundbreaking:

"The new loyalty program will let customers earn points through the dollars they spend at Hyatt brands."

Imagine! How in the world did they come up with this idea?
josephstern is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:52 pm
  #2004  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 550
Originally Posted by alluu View Post
Since the new program doesn't start until March 1, does that mean if I spend $20,000 and $40,000 on my Chase Hyatt card before March 1 (between January 1 and February 28) that I would still receive 5 nights and an additional 5 nights credited towards my 2017 total nights?
I asked my Hyatt Concierge this and he said that they do NOT count toward 2017 re-qualification. I'm not sure if they would count for qualifying by February 28th though (the blogs say yes).

Getting rid of the Hyatt CC spend credit along with losing the Diamond amenity and requiring current Diamonds to have 60 nights vs. 55 this first year are the final straws in my book, after having Diamond most years since 2004. I was originally planning on 80 to 100+ nights this year with Hyatt before WOH came out (all at full service properties), then thought I'd just do 45 (plus my 10 from the CC spend) to try out Globalist for a year or two, but given these latest developments, instead I just booked almost 50 nights with Airbnb/VRBO type sites that would have usually gone to Hyatt, booked 400K in award nights to start burning Hyatt points, then will start trying out SPG/Ritz Carlton and Fairmont (using Virtuoso and Chase Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection to get free breakfast when possible). Maybe I'll come back in a few years if things improve, but I kind of like the idea of actually staying at the closest, nicest hotel rather than driving an extra 30-40 miles or staying at an inferior property.
oc2005 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 8:17 pm
  #2005  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 59
If this was because of the diamond status matches, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would change the program next year. 95 percent of those matched will no longer be diamond in March, so isn't the problem resolving itself in a couple months?
jdbcc is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:15 pm
  #2006  
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,579
Originally Posted by jdbcc View Post
If this was because of the diamond status matches, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would change the program next year. 95 percent of those matched will no longer be diamond in March, so isn't the problem resolving itself in a couple months?
It would be resolving itself, but Hyatt decided to soft land all these matched Diamonds and bid them farewell with four club upgrade certificates (slapping forehead).
jpdx is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:33 pm
  #2007  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Posts: 3,111
Originally Posted by jdbcc View Post
If this was because of the diamond status matches, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would change the program next year. 95 percent of those matched will no longer be diamond in March, so isn't the problem resolving itself in a couple months?
This has nothing to do with the alleged status match floodgates fueled by the bloggers, because as you surmised this problem goes away automatically in a year. It's some sort of internal knee jerk reaction to capitulate to some noisy franchisees. If other commenters in this thread are to be believed, there is going to be a correction in the program - with some actual loyal spenders walking to their competitors.
SNA_Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 11:41 pm
  #2008  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
It would be resolving itself, but Hyatt decided to soft land all these matched Diamonds and bid them farewell with four club upgrade certificates (slapping forehead).
That's another of the WOH things that really is too stupid to believe....

Now club access in the US is really of little value at most of the properties, and that's where most status matchers are likely to stay. But at some other properties it's another nice freeby.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 7:22 am
  #2009  
gum
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern Bavaria, Germany
Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 1,513
? Needed points for the Club upselling

Does anyone know if the upselling instrument from the standard room tor the Club level for 3,000 points per night is changed?

As previously written I think this is the greatest feature of the Gold Passport programme. ^

Info would bei fine.
gum is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 11:21 am
  #2010  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: not far from MUC
Posts: 6,301
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I can't figure out what problem they are trying to solve.
Thought experiment: Once upon a time, Hyatt hired some conslutants...

Conslutant#1: Here's your solution!

Conslutant#2: Here's our invoice

Conslutant#3: What was the question?
shorthauldad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: