Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by getagb
Would anyone be willing to share recent data points of the currency conversion rate used when paying in USD at an international Hyatt?

I’m especially interested in USD-MXN conversions, and I’m trying to figure out how different (presumably, how much worse) the exchange rate is than the standard Visa/MasterCard exchange rate.
Property in Costa Rica the exchange rate was less than 1% above what the going rate was. Pretty Fair
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kklems
I saw this asked in May but the response was to prepay the stay which won't work for me. I'll also ask when I check in but does anyone know of any Hyatt Centric Properties between SFO and LAX south into Long Beach that sell gift cards at the desk? I am staying one night at the Hyatt Centric Mountain View and have an Amex offer 75/300 that expires at the end of the October. My rate with tax will be right around $200 so I would love to buy a $100 gift card to go over the threshold. My plan would be to maybe get some apps and order a bottle of wine (assuming I can charge to my room since the wine/apps would be $25ish net) but if we get in late I wanted a backup plan. We will be flying into LAX, driving up to just south of SFO and than back to Long Beach. My first two nights there are no hyatt centric properties and the last night in Long Beach the Hyatt Centric is like $560 due to the Marathon so I won't have a chance to stay at another HC before the end of the month.
Just following up in case someone else has the question. Neither the Hyatt Centric Mountain view nor the Long Beach Hyatt centric sold gift cards, On a positive note I got to use my offer after all at the Long Beach HC since when I got to my original spot for the night they were having a big October festival with rides and stuff in the parking lot right outside the hotel (the Queen Mary) so I cancelled my room and moved to HC using a 1-4 night cert (versus the rate that night of $480 before tax) and had dinner and drinks at their restaurant.
Charlie9 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
First time for me. Reservation a week ahead of time for corporate rate “Room Type: 2 QUEEN BEDS” with cancellation policy “TO AVOID 1 NIGHT FEE CANCEL BY 6PM HOTEL TIME, DAY OF ARRIVAL”, no mention of prepayment.

Called next day to apply SUA, done, email received with “Room Type: REGENCY SUITE” and increased “Nightly Rate per Room” as expected and “FULL PREPAYMENT AT TIME OF BOOKING/NON REFUNDABLE/NO CHANGES” not expected. Next email received with Suite upgrade and original booked “Nightly Rate per Room” as expected and “FULL PREPAYMENT AT TIME OF BOOKING/NON REFUNDABLE/NO CHANGES” not expected.

My credit card was charged for the entire stay a day or 2 after the emails.

I’ve used SUAs a bunch of times, never had a SUA approval affect the type of booking (prepaid, 24 hr cancellation, 6pm cancellation). I’m familiar with the 2 more emails after SUA approval routine but not the rate rules change. Is this to be expected? A recent change? A mistake? Thank you.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kklems
Just following up in case someone else has the question. Neither the Hyatt Centric Mountain view nor the Long Beach Hyatt centric sold gift cards, On a positive note I got to use my offer after all at the Long Beach HC since when I got to my original spot for the night they were having a big October festival with rides and stuff in the parking lot right outside the hotel (the Queen Mary) so I cancelled my room and moved to HC using a 1-4 night cert (versus the rate that night of $480 before tax) and had dinner and drinks at their restaurant.
According to a Hyatt customer service person I talked to, no Hyatts carry physical gift cards any more and they all direct you to purchase online.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:32 am

Through a combination of staying and cards, I sit at 24 qualifying nights. With planned spend and travel, I'll be sitting at 28 nights by the end of the year. Is it worth it matress run 2 nights (local hyatt is only 5k per night) to elevate to Explorist? Explorist gets a free 1-4 night, correct?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cidcock
Through a combination of staying and cards, I sit at 24 qualifying nights. With planned spend and travel, I'll be sitting at 28 nights by the end of the year. Is it worth it matress run 2 nights (local hyatt is only 5k per night) to elevate to Explorist? Explorist gets a free 1-4 night, correct?
That is a tough question. Many here are Globalist and tend to have the opinion that with Hyatt its sort of "Globalist or nothing." Frankly, I'm kinda in that camp. But in your case, if I were just 2 nights short of the next status level, I'd probably go ahead and knock it out.

And yes, at 30 nights you receive a Cat 1-4 certificate as well as two club access awards, which might have value if you stay at Hyatt's with clubs.

Not sure if you have the WOH personal credit card, but that also would provide 2 EQNs if you spend $5K on it. Not sure if that is an option for you or not.

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:44 am

Thanks!

Yeah, I have both Chase Hyatt cards and the personal card is only around $1000 away from another 2 qualifying nights. I will almost certainly be at 28 nights, possibly 29.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cidcock
Thanks!

Yeah, I have both Chase Hyatt cards and the personal card is only around $1000 away from another 2 qualifying nights. I will almost certainly be at 28 nights, possibly 29.
Well, if you can finish out that $1K of spend, that would definitely give you 2 nights, I'd certainly do that.

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
A month ago I made a reservation as a Discoverist. Then two weeks ago I signed up for the AA challenge and got the Explorist status. Will the hotel see me as an Explorist when I check in three days from now? Today I received a welcome email from the hotel that mentioned my Discoverist status.

I recall that a few years ago you were supposed to refresh your AA reservations with a higher status to get the priority right. Is there anything like that with Hyatt?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:55 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by grrizzli
A month ago I made a reservation as a Discoverist. Then two weeks ago I signed up for the AA challenge and got the Explorist status. Will the hotel see me as an Explorist when I check in three days from now? Today I received a welcome email from the hotel that mentioned my Discoverist status.

I recall that a few years ago you were supposed to refresh your AA reservations with a higher status to get the priority right. Is there anything like that with Hyatt?
There's no need (or way) to refresh your reservation. The property should see your current status when you check in and you can confirm it with the front desk agent if they don't mention it.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:43 pm

Has anyone been able to get their suite upgrade awards extended? I've got 3 left but I would kill to use them in March
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:04 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by usersherlocked
Has anyone been able to get their suite upgrade awards extended? I've got 3 left but I would kill to use them in March
Not possible to get them extended. Use them by their expiration date or lose them.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:43 pm

I had a low point balance and cancelled a stay and got the deposit refunded to my hyatt card. I thought I'd share my negative balance.

Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by avogadro
I had a low point balance and cancelled a stay and got the deposit refunded to my hyatt card. I thought I'd share my negative balance.

I was hoping it would be - 6.023 .....
beltway and Zorak like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by getagb
According to a Hyatt customer service person I talked to, no Hyatts carry physical gift cards any more and they all direct you to purchase online.
I hear the same from Marriott properties pretty on a regular basis as well and most of the time it is just staff being uneducated. That being said I have never bought a gift card at a Hyatt so it is possible they did stop selling the across the board. Seems short sighted as some people prefer giving plastic cards as gifts and don't want to pay for shipping or need it on a short notice. I guess in the end I wasn't a big fan of gift cards at Hyatt anyway with their issues in the past with security and in fact refused to stay at Hyatt properties for 10+ years after an issue with a fraudulent gift card corporate didn't stand behind. I decided to give them another try with the AA tie in and I am glad I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.