Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by thucanhho
With a family of 4, it's a little more complicated and may mean needing to book 2 rooms elsewhere which may be cost prohibitive and may necessitate canceling this stopover from a meeting in Vienna. We made previous arrangements, using DSU, at the Churchill.
You should try to find another hotel and if cost is an issue (as you may now need two rooms) consider another stopover city. London in July is very expensive and likely all the hyatt will do is cancel your reservation if they do not think they will be open in July.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:02 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had a conversation with the Asst. GM based on my experiences. He told me that it would be a late Feb./ Early March opening at the earliest. The investigation as to the cause and repairs are pretty major based on my discussion.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SethLevy
You should try to find another hotel and if cost is an issue (as you may now need two rooms) consider another stopover city. London in July is very expensive and likely all the hyatt will do is cancel your reservation if they do not think they will be open in July.
Feb/March gives be at least a 4 month cushion for delays. I booked at Andaz with points as a back up.

Side question since I have never had this experience. Has anyone had any luck with airlines forgiving change fee due to hotel canceling a booking like this situation since $200 x4 is steep? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Feb/March gives be at least a 4 month cushion for delays. I booked at Andaz with points as a back up.

Side question since I have never had this experience. Has anyone had any luck with airlines forgiving change fee due to hotel canceling a booking like this situation since $200 x4 is steep? Thanks.
I wouldn't hold too much hope with the airlines (UA charged us for a slight detour mid-trip to go to my mother's funeral). I would bet on the Churchill being open in July; remember that they're losing a ton of money for each week they're not open. If you're main loss is points, I think a touch of pressure would elicit some points from GP. Guarantees of equivalent rates at other hotels and compensation for taxis cost real hard cash. Points are basically a free currency for Hyatt.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I wouldn't hold too much hope with the airlines (UA charged us for a slight detour mid-trip to go to my mother's funeral). I would bet on the Churchill being open in July; remember that they're losing a ton of money for each week they're not open. If you're main loss is points, I think a touch of pressure would elicit some points from GP. Guarantees of equivalent rates at other hotels and compensation for taxis cost real hard cash. Points are basically a free currency for Hyatt.
I'm sorry to hear about the lost of your mother and UA's response.

Thought that Churchill would be motivated to be open ASAP, especially for high season. Hope Andaz will price match the BRG/DSU I got for the Churchill, but booked with points just in case. Also booked for that time in Copenhagen (was just there to eat but want to see more of the city) in case Churchill is delayed and there is a flight schedule change that would allow me to change my stopover without a fee.

Thanks everyone for the response.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We just RSVPed to the caroling and mince pies event on Thursday. They are holding it in the forecourt of the hotel. Anyone else going to be around?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by lalala
We just RSVPed to the caroling and mince pies event on Thursday. They are holding it in the forecourt of the hotel. Anyone else going to be around?
For once we are in London - what time is it on?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
8 pages and yet noone has mentioned travel insurance?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Has anyone had any luck with airlines forgiving change fee due to hotel canceling a booking like this situation since $200 x4 is steep? Thanks.
Not gonna happen
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Not gonna happen
Thanks...always appreciate a definitive response.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:21 am

With a family of 4, it's a little more complicated and may mean needing to book 2 rooms elsewhere which may be cost prohibitive and may necessitate canceling this stopover from a meeting in Vienna. We made previous arrangements, using DSU, at the Churchill.
I understand you have now booked at Andaz London.
Did you get 4 in a room there? I thought they won't allow it?
Do share with us. Thank you.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
8 pages and yet noone has mentioned travel insurance?
Just what I was thinking... But then I guess if someone had travel insurance they wouldn't really be bothered enough to post.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I understand you have now booked at Andaz London.
Did you get 4 in a room there? I thought they won't allow it?
Do share with us. Thank you.
They normally don't and likely won't under normal circumstances since it was difficult to get approval for 4 in a suite at the Churchill. I was hopeful that they would be more flexible since my kids are young and because it would be due to an cancellation by the Churchill. If not, I would book 2 rooms. Better yet, just go to Copenhagen. I booked a few tentative backup reservations in both cities and will decide as the time approaches and see where the Churchill is with there reopening.

In situations where you are unsure, best to send a note to the manager of the hotel. The thread "Hyatt for families" also have family related information on some Hyatt properties. Please update with your own experience in the wiki if you are willing to share. Thank!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by price123
For once we are in London - what time is it on?
It starts around 6pm on 11th. I'm in oxford until 430, so we'll try and make it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I booked P&C+DSU for 2 nights in mid-feb... no cancellations yet from them... flight has been booked already as well. WHAT SHOULD I DO? You think they will help me rebook somewhere else if need be?! or they will just cancel my reservations since its just pts and tell me good luck!? And rebooking to andaz is not an option (just too far away from everything).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.