Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:19 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't heard anything but when the blast first occurred, I made a cancellable backup booking at the Andaz just in case, although I really don't want to be there on this particular stay. So I hope, if they remain closed, I get an offer like the above. If necessary, I'll talk to them.

As I am not scheduled to arrive until Dec 18, maybe they are holding off on deciding until they know if they might be able to re-open. Gold Member, when was your booking for?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:05 pm

Interesting. I have stayed at this hotel pretty much every week for the past 6 months and have reservations for each of the next 4 weeks. I have heard nothing from the hotel (apart from a reminder email today that I have an upcoming stay starting next week) and looking into the list of my reservations on Hyatt.com I see that no duplicate resevations have been made at the Andaz

Are the offers of alternative accomodation only made when people have emailed Hyatt or were they made proactively?

I am definitely not feeling the love right now

My real concerns however are for the wonderful staff at the Churchill. I hope that they will ocntinue to be paid during this unforeseen closure.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:23 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Just had a look at my reservation as well for 28.12. They kept my original reservation at the HR Churchill, but they also added an additional reservation for the Andaz.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:54 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:56 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Our booking isn't until 1/21/15 - hoping they will be back up and running by then. Really looking forward to my first stay at this property.

Glad to hear that everyone seems to be ok - hope the one person still in hospital has a speedy recovery!!!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I'm scheduled to arrive on December 17... noticed a duplicate reservation at the Andaz this morning. Hoping the Churchill will re-open before I arrive, but not optimistic at all right now.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Haven't heard anything but when the blast first occurred, I made a cancellable backup booking at the Andaz just in case, although I really don't want to be there on this particular stay. So I hope, if they remain closed, I get an offer like the above. If necessary, I'll talk to them.

As I am not scheduled to arrive until Dec 18, maybe they are holding off on deciding until they know if they might be able to re-open. Gold Member, when was your booking for?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sensei
I'm scheduled to arrive on December 17... noticed a duplicate reservation at the Andaz this morning. Hoping the Churchill will re-open before I arrive, but not optimistic at all right now.
Exact same for me; I didn't contact them but when I logged onto my reservations - I see reservations for both the Andaz & the Churchill in mid December. A bit concerned b/c it doesn't show the actual room type but does say "rollaway bed" -

I appreciate that they are being proactive in this way but the location of the Andaz simply doesn't work for my business needs when I'm there so I will likely book elsewhere as a backup
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Is it worth calling them? Don't want to bother them if they are busy dealing with the mess.

Have a booking on 31st December for one night. Nothing new come up in my account so doesn't look like they have done anything yet.

Had a quick check for other hotels and they are all filling up fast and getting expensive.

The room price was originally £600 but i got it down to £250 under BRG, so are they unlikely to help me?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Is it worth calling them? Don't want to bother them if they are busy dealing with the mess.

Have a booking on 31st December for one night. Nothing new come up in my account so doesn't look like they have done anything yet.

Had a quick check for other hotels and they are all filling up fast and getting expensive.

The room price was originally £600 but i got it down to £250 under BRG, so are they unlikely to help me?
My reservation (mid-December) was C&P for four nights - and the same rate shows up for my Andaz reservation.

I suspect they are rebooking as quickly as possible - based on check in date.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:22 am

I called them to double check and they said they are only rebooking stays up to 30th December, even though on the website it states up to 31st December. So i'm confused

She started to look for possible other options for me, but stated that the Andaz is now full, that there were other possible hotels to book but that she would have to go away and check availability and come back to me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:17 am

Dear

Thank you for your message to Hyatt Hotels Corporation. It is my pleasure to assist you.

Regretfully, the Hyatt Regency London the Churchill will not be open for your upcoming reservation. Unfortunately, the Andaz Liverpool Street London is sold out for the date of your current reservation.

I look forward to a future opportunity to assist you. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.

Best Regards,

Is that it? They haven't cancelled the booking, so do I just turn up on the day?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Dear

Thank you for your message to Hyatt Hotels Corporation. It is my pleasure to assist you.

Regretfully, the Hyatt Regency London the Churchill will not be open for your upcoming reservation. Unfortunately, the Andaz Liverpool Street London is sold out for the date of your current reservation.

I look forward to a future opportunity to assist you. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.

Best Regards,

Is that it? They haven't cancelled the booking, so do I just turn up on the day?
You need to escalate to the senior management team. You should not have to pay anything more than your original booked rate. They should refund any additional out of pocket expenses and costs. Incident aside, this is no different than an oversold situation, or a situation where the hotel took reservaitons before it could open.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Email from Hyatt

Just received this email today and is first communication from Hyatt regarding the rebooking. They had already rebooked a couple of days ago and it had been showing in my reservations.

Dear Mr. RDUFLyer2,

We are contacting your regarding recent events at the Hyatt Regency Churchill. On the evening of November 21, our hotel experienced damage from a gas explosion which will impact our ability to accommodate you during your stay. We regret your reservation for arrival on December 12, 2014 will be impacted by this situation. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience this has caused.

Your reservation will be honored at Andaz Liverpool Street London and you should have an email confirmation on the way. We are available to answer any questions you may have about this new hotel. Please contact us by replying to this email our calling us at 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053.

If you prefer to make alternate accommodations, please let us know, and we will take care of the cancellation of your accommodations with us without any cancellation fees or penalties.

Once again please accept our apology for the inconvenience and frustration this situation is causing you. Please contact us at 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053 for assistance.

Warmest Regards,

Hyatt Guest Relations

Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Dear

Best Regards,

Looks like you got an inept rep. It happens. I'd pm the Hyatt concierge here on FT; they've always come through for me. Hyatt should honour your £250 rate at Andaz or at another approx. equivalent hotel.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by SethLevy
They should refund any additional out of pocket expenses and costs. Incident aside, this is no different than an oversold situation, or a situation where the hotel took reservaitons before it could open.
I doubt very much that the hotel is liable for any other expenses that guests might claim, such as additional taxi fare. Full refund or similar accommodations at the booked rate would be the only thing the hotel is liable for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.