Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by angrypenguin
We just arrived today. I had gotten an email yesterday a couple of hours before we left to the airport, with instructions to go to the radisson blu across the street.

We arrived and a couple Hyatt were camped out in the lobby and confirmed our reservation. She talked into her walkie talkie and stated that we had been set up at the Hilton Park Lane nearby. I was too tired to argue, but they did say that they were covering the cost.

We were staying on points, so I was concerned about getting full value, or if they were just going to refund my points and leave me on my own. But they covered the cab to the Hilton, and we still got some platinum amenities (high room, great view, etc.)

The Hilton park lane is a really nice place ($486/night when I checked today), but I thought that Hyatt handled things really well. I was annoyed that I couldn't just confirm the new hotel before hand so we didn't have to trek to the radisson and leave again, but I also understand that during a crisis you deal with the problems right in front of you first.

The Hilton confirmed that everything was covered, and overall I'm really pleased how it all ended.
thanks for the update, are the Hilton rooms comparable to the hyatt rooms? Last time I stayed at the Hilton Park Lane, hotel was a bit tired and rooms needed a very significant refresh.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
The Hilton on Park Lane is my back-up go to hotel in London. The rooms are nice, the lounge is very nice, and the staff are great.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
i feel really bad for them, but i'm also slightly frustrated.

i have a 2-night reservation starting Tuesday and called them today at the number they gave me to rebook (in Omaha) -- first they had no idea what to do and told me they'd call me back; then instead of calling me on the mobile number i gave them (since i'm travelling...) they called me at my home address.

then i called them back again. this time, they insisted i could only stay at the Andaz and didn't give me the hilton park lane option (even though i proactively suggested it). i'd love to stay at the Andaz sometime but it's super-inconvenient for what i need to do those three days and now everything else around it is really expensive so can't easily just rebook something else.

will deal with it tomorrow i guess (and i feel a bit guilty for even being frustrated by this) but was hoping for a little more help from them here.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by kv99
i feel really bad for them, but i'm also slightly frustrated.

i have a 2-night reservation starting Tuesday and called them today at the number they gave me to rebook (in Omaha) -- first they had no idea what to do and told me they'd call me back; then instead of calling me on the mobile number i gave them (since i'm travelling...) they called me at my home address.

then i called them back again. this time, they insisted i could only stay at the Andaz and didn't give me the hilton park lane option (even though i proactively suggested it). i'd love to stay at the Andaz sometime but it's super-inconvenient for what i need to do those three days and now everything else around it is really expensive so can't easily just rebook something else.

will deal with it tomorrow i guess (and i feel a bit guilty for even being frustrated by this) but was hoping for a little more help from them here.
I think you have to be insistent about what you want. I feel sorry for the explosion and I hope everyone is well, however they need to be more proactive in relocating guest. It's very inconvenient for them, but it's also inconvenient for the many guests who have upcoming reservations. They need to provide similar five-star accommodations in the general area.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Notice on Churchill's website

I noticed this evening this is on their website:

Early morning on Saturday 22 November, Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill experienced a gas explosion in the hotel’s basement. Our top priority is the safety and wellbeing of our guests and associates. No guests were injured, but several hotel associates sustained injuries, four of whom were treated at area hospitals. As of 11 a.m. CT on Sunday, 23 November, one associate remains hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

We are currently working to provide guests with accommodations and are cooperating with local authorities to determine the extent of the damage at the hotel and to understand the cause of the incident.

The hotel is currently closed as those efforts continue. We apologize for the inconvenience to our guests and those with upcoming reservations at the hotel, and are grateful to the hotel staff and local authorities who are providing assistance at the site.

For Guests With Upcoming Reservations:

• Guests with arrival dates through 31 December 2014 will be contacted by our guest relations team to arrange alternate accommodations.
• Guests with arrival dates on 1 January 2015 or later will be notified of any changes after our assessment of the hotel early next week.
• Guests with reservations for any date may cancel at no charge if they wish to arrange for their own alternate accommodations.

Guests with questions or upcoming reservations should call 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053 or tweet @HyattConcierge.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:54 am

I had a reservation for this week, starting today

Called the hotel's number direct yesterday and was put through to the Andaz but they couldn't access my reservation and put me through to the reservations line. They weren't particularly helpful - told me the Andaz was full for tonight and that I should cancel my reservation and find alternative accommodations myself. No mention of finding another hotel for me or going to the Radisson.

As it happens I did find another hotel but will obviously miss out on the HGP points and Diamond benefits.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
I noticed this evening this is on their website:

Early morning on Saturday 22 November, Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill experienced a gas explosion in the hotel’s basement. Our top priority is the safety and wellbeing of our guests and associates. No guests were injured, but several hotel associates sustained injuries, four of whom were treated at area hospitals. As of 11 a.m. CT on Sunday, 23 November, one associate remains hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

We are currently working to provide guests with accommodations and are cooperating with local authorities to determine the extent of the damage at the hotel and to understand the cause of the incident.

The hotel is currently closed as those efforts continue. We apologize for the inconvenience to our guests and those with upcoming reservations at the hotel, and are grateful to the hotel staff and local authorities who are providing assistance at the site.

For Guests With Upcoming Reservations:

• Guests with arrival dates through 31 December 2014 will be contacted by our guest relations team to arrange alternate accommodations.
• Guests with arrival dates on 1 January 2015 or later will be notified of any changes after our assessment of the hotel early next week.
• Guests with reservations for any date may cancel at no charge if they wish to arrange for their own alternate accommodations.

Guests with questions or upcoming reservations should call 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053 or tweet @HyattConcierge.
Thats interesting...

I have a reservation for New Years Eve, does that come under under the 1st point or the second?

Is it better to just cancel and book something else myself? Problem with that is the prices are crazy for 31st now
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Thats interesting...

I have a reservation for New Years Eve, does that come under under the 1st point or the second?

Is it better to just cancel and book something else myself? Problem with that is the prices are crazy for 31st now
Since when is 31 Dec not New Year's Eve (in the UK?)
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
My reservation for three nights from 26-Nov was transferred over to the Andaz this morning via email without any interaction. Bit of a nuisance for me given the location and lack of Club Lounge.

I guess if there's any positive its that my points + cash booking seems to have refunded the points component in my GP balance. There's no transaction or entry to explain the unexpected increase so I can't be certain if this is related. If so, I wonder if they will seek to recover the points or simply leave them with guests who were affected as a gesture of goodwill.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:12 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

I had already sorted out my immediate reservation, but received the following email this morning, and two cancellation of December ward reservations with points going back into account.

Dear ,

Greetings from London.

As you may have heard, Hyatt Regency London The Churchill experienced a small gas explosion in the basement on Friday, 21st November. Twelve Hyatt associates are being treated for injuries. No guests were injured, and all guests were evacuated to nearby hotels. Hyatt's top priority is the safety and wellbeing of our guests and associates, and we are currently working to provide guests with accommodations while we evaluate whether the hotel received any significant damage.

While we deal with this extremely difficult situation, we unfortunately will not be able to accommodate any guests from now until Monday, 01st December 2014 meaning all bookings arriving over this time will be cancelled. We will also not be taking any future reservation inquiries until further notice.

Please accept out sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and should there be anything please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

The Churchill Team,

While it says Dec 1, my future reservations which were cancelled were for later in December, so I think the date really is Dec 31. I understand Andaz is full. I think if you can find other reservaitons, you should book them. What a mess!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by SethLevy
I had already sorted out my immediate reservation, but received the following email this morning, and two cancellation of December ward reservations with points going back into account.

Dear ,

Greetings from London.

As you may have heard, Hyatt Regency London The Churchill experienced a small gas explosion in the basement on Friday, 21st November. Twelve Hyatt associates are being treated for injuries. No guests were injured, and all guests were evacuated to nearby hotels. Hyatt's top priority is the safety and wellbeing of our guests and associates, and we are currently working to provide guests with accommodations while we evaluate whether the hotel received any significant damage.

While we deal with this extremely difficult situation, we unfortunately will not be able to accommodate any guests from now until Monday, 01st December 2014 meaning all bookings arriving over this time will be cancelled. We will also not be taking any future reservation inquiries until further notice.

Please accept out sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and should there be anything please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

The Churchill Team,

While it says Dec 1, my future reservations which were cancelled were for later in December, so I think the date really is Dec 31. I understand Andaz is full. I think if you can find other reservaitons, you should book them. What a mess!
Wouldn't they owe some sort of compensation for last min cancelations like this? As one's rate with such a last min booking could be exceptionally high.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
New reservations for us in mid December (12/12 to 12/22) have shown up for us at the Andaz in my profile. they did keep the original reservations. was on DSU but it looks like they only were able to honor this for part of the stay as I had broken up into two reservations. No email.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Our reservation was also transferred to AndaZ. I don't mind too much as its way closer to St John and Spitalfields.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Let's hope others can also reach some sort of mutual agreement... This generosity and flexibility from the property is one of the reasons I continue to spend with Hyatt as my primary chain.

We can relocate your reservation to a NON Hyatt property near the Hyatt Regency Churchill and honor the 89 GBP rate per night with a selection at one of the following properties:

Langham London Hotel
Landmark London Hotel
Hilton Park Lane
Intercontinental Park Lane
Marriott Park Lane

Or if you prefer to keep your reservation at the Andaz Liverpool, as a good will gesture we are happy to credit your Hyatt Gold Passport account 30,000 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.