Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
We were there for an Amex do a month ago...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Was just there last week. Hope that all the injured are recovering quickly...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
From Twitter two hours ago:

Hyatt Tweets ‏@HyattTweets 2h2 hours ago
Following an overnight incident, Hyatt Regency Churchill in London is currently closed & we're determining full extent of damage. 1/6

@HyattConcierge will provide alternate accommodations for those staying at Hyatt Regency Churchill in London, based on arrival date. 2/6

If arriving at Hyatt Regency Churchill today, go to Raddison Blu, adjacent to Hyatt, and our staff will assist with alternate hotel. 3/6

If arriving at Hyatt Regency Churchill in London before Dec 1 @HyattConcierge will make new hotel arrangements for you. 4/6

If arriving at Hyatt Regency Churchill in London after Dec 1, we’ll honor your stay at our hotel or at another hotel once we know more. 5/6

Tweet or DM @HyattConcierge for more information if you have an upcoming reservation with Hyatt Regency Churchill in London. 6/6
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Just arrived in from Lax and was reading the news on the express..went to the Raddison next door (a complete zoo since guests are still trying to get their bags outa the rooms)
I was given 2 options, wait for maybe "hours" or find my own hotels and they will reimburse me. Being tired I just booked the Lux collection Park Tower and on my way there now. I would have thought they would have been a little more proactive to find me an alternate hotel...
I went back after dinner to see what's up..at the earliest they said this weekend it might be open but could be the 1st or later. Was just told to stay at my current hotel and send an email of all the charges, etc and they will take care of it
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
We were there for an Amex do a month ago...
My thought too. If it had happened a month ago, not only would we have had to find accommodation, but also a private dining venue for 50 people to have dinner at 24 h notice! I would guess that there may have been a number of functions on this week/weekend that will be very difficult to relocate.

Spoken to a couple of friends we've made at the hotel and it seems that things aren't too bad but a lucky escape.

Last edited by price123; Nov 23, 2014 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by price123
My thought too. If it had happened a month ago, not only would we have had to find accommodation, but also a private dining venue for 50 people to have dinner at 24 h notice! I would guess that there may have been a number of functions on this week/weekend that will be very difficult to relocate.

Spoken to a couple of friends we've made at the hotel and it seems that things aren't too bad but a lucky escape.
I'm relieved to hear it's not too serious, hope all the staff serving us on that day were safe.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
They seem to offer Langham, Landmark, JW Marriott, and the Park Lane hotels Marriott, Hilton and IC.

Whats best for a diamond who should get club access?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are they paying for Diamonds to have club lounge access at other properties? That would be amazing if you haven't booked a club level room.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I went back after dinner to see what's up..at the earliest they said this weekend it might be open but could be the 1st or later. Was just told to stay at my current hotel and send an email of all the charges, etc and they will take care of it
I'm confused, are they paying for you to stay at another hotel or are they just finding another hotel for you and honoring the original rate, and you have to pay the new hotel. My rate at the CHurchill was GBP 218 and all I can find elsewhere is over GBP 300. I have not been able to reach hotel yet, my stay is Nov 26-30 (was using a suite upgrade as well, and one free night).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SethLevy
I'm confused, are they paying for you to stay at another hotel or are they just finding another hotel for you and honoring the original rate, and you have to pay the new hotel. My rate at the CHurchill was GBP 218 and all I can find elsewhere is over GBP 300. I have not been able to reach hotel yet, my stay is Nov 26-30 (was using a suite upgrade as well, and one free night).
They are paying my entire bill...I was on a 3 night point stay using 75k.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
They are paying my entire bill...I was on a 3 night point stay using 75k.
I wrote to them, to see what they can do. I think at a minimum, they should reimburse me for the difference in rates.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy
I wrote to them, to see what they can do. I think at a minimum, they should reimburse me for the difference in rates.
Don't you think that hotel management might have a lot on their plate at the moment, and that your pending request for reimbursement might not have the highest priority?

Give them a chance to respond.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

It's great to hear the hotel is getting people all sorted. I have a reservation on the 10th, I wonder if we should ask them to move us to the AndaZ instead.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Don't you think that hotel management might have a lot on their plate at the moment, and that your pending request for reimbursement might not have the highest priority?

Give them a chance to respond.
The hotel is staffed by professionals, I think they can handle multiple requests for information from their hotel guests. In fact, they should be proactively reaching out to arriving guests, rather than the guest having to reach out to them.

That said, the hotel has now written back. They have indicated the two hotels they are now using to accommodate people are the Andaz and Hilton Park Lane. Original booking rates will apply and whether club benefits will be offered at the Hilton is up to the hotel, but they have noted the Hilton may be at full capacity. My colleague is also scheduled to arrive on Nov 28, and was told he should seek additional accommodations himself and let them know if he needs suggestions. I'm not sure the Hilton is on par with the Churchill, but its better than nothing.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:55 pm

We just arrived today. I had gotten an email yesterday a couple of hours before we left to the airport, with instructions to go to the radisson blu across the street.

We arrived and a couple Hyatt were camped out in the lobby and confirmed our reservation. She talked into her walkie talkie and stated that we had been set up at the Hilton Park Lane nearby. I was too tired to argue, but they did say that they were covering the cost.

We were staying on points, so I was concerned about getting full value, or if they were just going to refund my points and leave me on my own. But they covered the cab to the Hilton, and we still got some platinum amenities (high room, great view, etc.)

The Hilton park lane is a really nice place ($486/night when I checked today), but I thought that Hyatt handled things really well. I was annoyed that I couldn't just confirm the new hotel before hand so we didn't have to trek to the radisson and leave again, but I also understand that during a crisis you deal with the problems right in front of you first.

The Hilton confirmed that everything was covered, and overall I'm really pleased how it all ended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.