Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Ugh; Was also at the Churchill for next Tuesday night ; was planning to be at the Andaz Monday night due to proximity to Tue AM meetings

My TA cancelled the Churchill and extended the Andaz ; fine with this HOWEVER this now hoses me for Diamond. I needed the second stay in London to make Diamond... I DID no fastrak to make Diamond and tried to do it the hard way - guess I'm a chump... should I call Hyatt on this? (would love some feedback from others who may have ever been in the same boat). I have Hyatt cancellation res #'s my agency did
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:00 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Ugh; Was also at the Churchill for next Tuesday night ; was planning to be at the Andaz Monday night due to proximity to Tue AM meetings

My TA cancelled the Churchill and extended the Andaz ; fine with this HOWEVER this now hoses me for Diamond. I needed the second stay in London to make Diamond... I DID no fastrak to make Diamond and tried to do it the hard way - guess I'm a chump... should I call Hyatt on this? (would love some feedback from others who may have ever been in the same boat). I have Hyatt cancellation res #'s my agency did
PM our Gold a Passport Concierge staff - I think they would do this for you.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello Everyone, I promised to provide an update upstream and honestly haven't gotten around to it until my vacation was over .

I was due to check in the night after the incident. Being proactive, I called the Hyatt 1-800 number and the reps who answered were clueless and basically told me I should just cancel my res and find another hotel on my own. This was an award stay, that had been planned as a vacation months in advance. I didn't think that was a fair option.

Eventually, I was able to reach a direct line in Chicago that they had setup for dealing with the incident. They told me there is nothing they could do until the local property provided them with the lists of guests still needing accommodation, and they would help rebook. Thinking this would occur in a timely manner, I didn't push as I was due to arrive around 1:30 pm local time.

After arriving at the hotel, it was a good 3-4 hours before getting placement. The local agents at the Churchill were of no help. They kept saying it was in the hands of corporate, while corporate said it was in the hands of the local folks to provide them with the list. After 4 hours of sitting at the Raddison Blu, I decided to call the Chicago number once more. I am not one to normally get upset, and for those who have met me, know this is out of character, but I decided pulling a DYKWIA card may be the only way to get this taken care of.

Within 30 minutes Hyatt had rebooked me on a breakfast included/wifi included rate at the Bentley Hotel which I believe may have formally been a Hilton property. It was nice enough and I will not complain about it. I understand the tough situation that Hyatt was in given the situation.

All I would have asked is that they could have handled it in a more timely manner and been more proactive when I first called that morning at 8 am.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:00 pm

Have any of you who are upset about Hyatt's handling of future reservations, given any thought to the possibility that management's priorities may have been to first attend to the well being of any guest or staff member who might have been injured in this incident, and then to relocating guests who were already staying in the hotel? Future reservations might have been been the third priority, and appropriately so.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Have any of you who are upset about Hyatt's handling of future reservations, given any thought to the possibility that management's priorities may have been to first attend to the well being of any guest or staff member who might have been injured in this incident, and then to relocating guests who were already staying in the hotel? Future reservations might have been been the third priority, and appropriately so.
Then Hyatt central reservations should have taken ownership of rebooking and NOT burdened the local hotel with any involvement in this. Hyatt Sales UK (or US) should have assigned staff within a day to "live" near the hotel and assist walk ups with reservations who may not have known about the incident.

I personally didn't expect the local hotel staff to do anything, but those reservations backed by Hyatt's central reservations system should have been taken care of.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I expected a certain level of communication and proactivity. for example, when the Andaz Maui was not making its opening date, and they had to push opening multiple times, there was constant communication with the property and central reservations about alternates such as the 4 Seasons Maui, rebooking of flights, etc. That is the level of service that I expect as a Hyatt Diamond, and the level of service that I have received since I became a Diamond. This is the first time with Hyatt where I had a serious complaint about how they handled a situation.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've just deleted several posts that were personal commentary which is against Flyertalk rules. Please keep the thread on subject, what the property/Hyatt is doing for guests affected by this situation and not comment on other's expectations which may or may not be reasonable in your opinion.

Thanks.

Peteropny- co-mod- Hyatt
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Wow. I can't believe how poorly this is being handled.

My P&C reservation for mid January and as cancelled. Had used a DSU as well. When I called told I can't use P&C at Andaz cause not available. Can't use DSU not Available. Basically pay prevailing rate at Andaz or full points cause it's available. No special assistance what so ever.

Epic Customer Service fail on behalf of Hyatt!!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by SF1K
My P&C reservation for mid January and as cancelled.
Mid Jan - wow! Sounds like a pretty serious problem - I wonder what the prognosis is for re-opening.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Mid Jan - wow! Sounds like a pretty serious problem - I wonder what the prognosis is for re-opening.
There is substantial damage and assessments are ongoing to assess when the hotel can open. With some structural damage (floors, ceilings) and damage to essential utilities (water, lighting) it could be some time.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I recognize that in emergencies things do not always go smoothly -and this is an entirely different situation than say, a property that does not open on schedule but based on my experience, I'm officially marking this as a "" in Hyatt customer service.

I had a reservation @ the Churchill starting at the end of next week and was rebooked at the Andaz for my dates, at the same rate. However, I have never rec'd any correspondence from Hyatt regarding my reservation. If not for FT, I seemingly wouldn't have known until just prior to my departure as I was prepping things in Passbook, etc.. The Andaz isn't convenient - at all - for my purposes, so cancelled and booked the Mandarin Oriental. I wasn't offered any compensation, points, only an apology acknowledging that I should have been contacted and told of my reservation change.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Sorry to anyone with more urgent reservations. I have reservation in July, should I consider making a backup reservation?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Sorry to anyone with more urgent reservations. I have reservation in July, should I consider making a backup reservation?
What's the downside? A bit of your time and the risk that you could forget about it and fail to cancel by the deadline?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
As I said up-thread, as of late last week, hotel management told me that they had no firm date yet for re-opening. They simply don't know yet.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the downside? A bit of your time and the risk that you could forget about it and fail to cancel by the deadline?
With a family of 4, it's a little more complicated and may mean needing to book 2 rooms elsewhere which may be cost prohibitive and may necessitate canceling this stopover from a meeting in Vienna. We made previous arrangements, using DSU, at the Churchill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.