Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
meh, that's slimy. I wish corporate entities wouldn't bow to greedy customers who make frivolous demands.
To each and their own.

But I cannot stop laughing at your comment because of the irony.

Anyways, I did NOT DEMAND ANYTHING. Even if I did demand, it would not have been frivolous. What is frivolous is your post attacking my character. All I asked them is what they can do to make me whole as my plans are currently ruined as I have no hotel to stay in. They could have responded and give me NOTHING. I did not threaten them in any way. I see the 15K points more as an insurance/hedge which would make my current situation WHOLE. What if rates have gone up since and now I have to pay more $ for something comparable 4 weeks out versus the rate I would have gotten around the time when I booked The Churchill. I am all for forgiving and looking the other way, but not when it involves MY MONEY. I am not a charity. Why should I, the paying customer, now have to incur a loss because of Hyatt's negligence. Accidents occur because of negligence. This was not an act of God like in the case of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos. In my case, because of my own DD, I booked IC Park Lane anticipating their LIES stating they will open in time. I booked a cancelable rate which contains a premium (as it is not the cheapest rate) Their email to me a few days ago was their first contact to me about the incident.

Excuse me for being "greedy"... but I think it's quite the opposite. Hyatt is being greedy for NOT informing all guests about the incident when it first occurred and locking in advanced reservations until 4 weeks out to make the call that they are not ready. Maybe they should allow all reservations to be cancelled without penalty and not just the ones 4 weeks out. Let the decision sit with the customer. Nope, that's not going to happen. Why? Corporate entities are greedy... this may be shocking news for you.

Don't patronize me for posting my experience (and possibly helping others in a similar situation). If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it. You are probably not a saint anyways.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
Little bit longer...

Churchill web page now at 28 Feb.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: WN, UA, Hyatt, National
We have reservation for mid April 2015 and I'm getting concerned about the hotel being re-opened. Any update on status besides just the date moving?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jacob Edelman
We have reservation for mid April 2015 and I'm getting concerned about the hotel being re-opened. Any update on status besides just the date moving?
I would strongly suggest making a back up reservation.

I have repeatedly called both the hotel and central reservations regarding the reopening of the hotel and reopening of reservations. Neither the hotel nor reservations will give out any information other than what's posted on the website.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:22 am

We made the reservation with points and don't have enough points to make another reservation at the Andaz.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:31 pm

Booked in mid-march on points --
I've been calling up GP who says they believe the hotel will open soon.
So now we've got backup plan for Andaz but we've got 3 in room that might not be accomodated for the Andaz points booking (also have 2 days in middle that I can't get on points with Andaz). Doesn't give me confidence.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

We made the reservation with points and don't have enough points to make another reservation at the Andaz.
I imagine customer relations would be able to make a rare exception for this sort of situation. Perhaps try calling and see what they say. I hope it works out for you and that you thoroughly enjoy your trip to London.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:06 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
They took my point res at Churchill and converted it to staying at the Andaz. I'm sure they will do this for you if you call corporate.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
They took my point res at Churchill and converted it to staying at the Andaz. I'm sure they will do this for you if you call corporate.
Is the Churchill nicer vs the Andaz? I would switch now if it is a better hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Is the Churchill nicer vs the Andaz? I would switch now if it is a better hotel.
They are very different properties. I would say based on the "standard" definitions of nicer - most would say the Churchill is the nicer property. It certainly has a more convenient location for most people visiting London.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:23 pm

Comparison of Andaz vs Churchill

It depends on what your needs/requirements are.
Will you be taking public transport or taxi? Are you Diamond and is a club lounge important to you? Churchill is a more "traditional" hotel. Andaz has a different vibe. We stayed at both 2 years ago at the end of the Olympics on points. It was a spur of the moment trip, originally had a week at Churchill with a good rate using DSU but had to push dates up. Stayed first night at Andaz then switched to Churchill. Arrived early (10:30) and only waited a bit to get into room (a plus). Room was comfortable and efficient. Hotel has a bit of a "past" (there's some kind of secret rooms in the basement). Enjoyed a leisurely breakfast as Diamond. The location is fantastic for trains, and would be a good choice in the blustery winter months.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It may have been a glitch, but at the beginning of this week I considered making a reservation at the Churchill for Jully and it looked like they weren't yet taking reservations. I had the impression that the hotel is not at all sure when they're likely to be able to reopen. As I don't think I want the Andaz location, I just made a booking elsewhere.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Really? I have a reservation for early June for our 40th wedding anniversary. It never crossed my mind that they wouldn't be open by then. Should I be concerned?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joey965
Really? I have a reservation for early June for our 40th wedding anniversary. It never crossed my mind that they wouldn't be open by then. Should I be concerned?
I don't think so. When the leak/explosion occurred, they just shut off taking any new bookings until they had more info. They don't have that info yet although the web page suggests they might have it by Jan 28. I cannot imagine the hotel will not be re-opened long before June.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thucanhho
20/20 hindsight. She did the most important thing which was to get kids and herself out safely, the only thing any parent is and should be thinking in a similar situation. The rest is a hassle but pales in comparison.

What percentage of guests do you think "emergency torch and the route to the exit when arriving in a hotel?"

absolutely, 100% agree. In any emergency event, the first thing you do is get yourself and your loved ones to safety. Stopping to "collect" valuables, credit cards, etc. is foolish, especially in a situation where fire/explosion, etc. is involved. If you have never been in such a situation as Price123 admits, then it's easy to pontificate. "Valuables" can generally, in most cases, be replaced. Human life cannot.

I was in a hotel fire in Tampa, FL (at the airport hotel - I think it was a Marriott) many years ago. Alarms went off in the middle of the night, and I could smell the smoke. The only thing I did was jump out of bed, put my shoes on and made my way out of the building pronto. But, I was surprised at how many people just opened their room doors, looked out and said something along the lines of "oh, they'll come and tell us if we need to leave".

Yeah, right!

There was no way I was going to die in a hotel fire, so I made an immediate escape. The second floor was on fire! Thankfully, it was contained and we were all able to return to our rooms after a couple of hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.