Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by thucanhho
What percentage of guests do you think "emergency torch and the route to the exit when arriving in a hotel?"
Not enough! But it is something we always do like checking a life vest is beneath the airline seat if flying over water.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:18 pm

any swag speculation as to when hotel will reopen? April?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Stopped by yesterday

I was in the neighborhood and stopped by to see how things were looking. There were three people at the front desk though not in Hyatt uniform. I spoke to one gentleman who seemed to be in charge and their purpose seemed to be to keep an eye on the place and also deal with any guests who might show up.

This gentlemen indicated they had started removing debris and they obviously wanted to be back in business as soon as possible and threw out January but I think that was more wishful thinking rather than based on any official line. There were a couple of large maintenance company vans around.

The Montagu seemed eerily quiet as one peeked in through the front windows. Tables were set and it was a shame to see it so empty and dead.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
What percentage of guests do you think "emergency torch and the route to the exit when arriving in a hotel?"
I do .....
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I do .....
+1
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
20/20 hindsight. She did the most important thing which was to get kids and herself out safely, the only thing any parent is and should be thinking in a similar situation. The rest is a hassle but pales in comparison.

If by emergency torch you mean a flashlight supplied by the hotel in the room, you cannot rely on this. IME only a few jurisdictions require that hotels provide some form of emergency portable lighting in guest rooms. Japan does and I've seen it in a few other locations, but it's far from universal. I remember one hotel that included a disposable flashlight in the minibar with the notice that if you use it in an emergency, you will not be charged. When my Prague hotel had an emergency drill, they offered flashlights to guests as gifts since the hotel's power was scheduled to be out for several hours.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by price123
To be honest, you didn't do everything you could in the evacuation e.g. take valuables and necessary health items with you. We always lock items in the safe overnight but would have room key card, credit card and glasses on the bedside. In a foreign country, I would also take passports with me in an evacuation. It is always best to check for the emergency torch and the route to the exit when arriving in a hotel.
I respectfully disagree with you that I didn't do everything I could. I grabbed the two most important and necessary valuables and took them with me. They are 9 and 13. We were in a pitch black hotel room stumbling about, and had trouble even unfastening the unfamiliar and somewhat odd security latch to open the door. The "evacuate immediately" alarm was blaring over and over, and the only reason I was able to find the exit stairwell without too much of a problem was because I do always locate the nearest exits when in a new hotel. I know you didn't mean offense, but it was an emergency situation. Who cares about credit cards, jewelry, and room key cards? I didn't have time to get the passports out of the safe. I'd handle it the same way again, and I'm sure the Churchill staff and emergency persons on the scene would agree.

I do really appreciate everyone's feedback, advice and thoughts...it's been so helpful. Thank you!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:55 am

I can imagine how scary it was in the darkness and your younger son not being able to see or have his glasses. I would feel very insecure. It must have been traumatizing by any standard.

Regards to you amd your family.

I do not think that Hyatt is handling this as well as they should and like they typically handle things.

The only way guests could have prepared better would have been to have valuables, passports etc, all in a shoulder bag next to the bed, plus shoes and overcoat and a torch. Does anyone do that? And every night?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Colin
any speculation as to when hotel will reopen? April?
I see a note on the website saying that all reservations up until 1 February have been cancelled (note on website) - does anyone have any idea if they will be ready to re-open then? GPC?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I see a note on the website saying that all reservations up until 1 February have been cancelled (note on website) - does anyone have any idea if they will be ready to re-open then? GPC?
I stayed at the Andaz @ Liverpool Station last week. They were saying by the end of February.

I originally booked the Churchill but was sent to the Andaz. I quite like this property. It would of been a bit more pleasant (no fault of the Andaz), had the Heathrow Express been running on the 27th of December. Took almost an hour and 15 minutes to get from Heathrow to Liverpool Station.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
just got email from hyatt service desk. my mid-feb reservation is cancelled. still not forecast from them as to when they will reopen.

has anyone here received any form of compensation for this inconvenience? and did they rebook you to anything else besides Andaz? Andaz's location will not work for me...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
just got email from hyatt service desk. my mid-feb reservation is cancelled. still not forecast from them as to when they will reopen.

has anyone here received any form of compensation for this inconvenience? and did they rebook you to anything else besides Andaz? Andaz's location will not work for me...
Those who rec'd compensation for "inconvenience" were those who were forced to change plans/pay exorbitant rates elsewhere, etc.. b/c they were due to arrive shortly after the explosion. Yours is a very different situation and while you can certainly ask for compensation, I do not believe you will receive any.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Those who rec'd compensation for "inconvenience" were those who were forced to change plans/pay exorbitant rates elsewhere, etc.. b/c they were due to arrive shortly after the explosion. Yours is a very different situation and while you can certainly ask for compensation, I do not believe you will receive any.
Gave it a shot. Wrote a few sentences asking them what they can do to make me whole. Was offered 15K pts (automatically posted to account). ^
YMMV
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed that the Churchill website was quietly changed to indicate that reservations are being canceled through February 15 now.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Gave it a shot. Wrote a few sentences asking them what they can do to make me whole. Was offered 15K pts (automatically posted to account). ^
YMMV
meh, that's slimy. I wish corporate entities wouldn't bow to greedy customers who make frivolous demands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.