Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Curious as an outsider looking in (never stayed here, only Andaz 5th) isn't the dollar cap in violation of the WoH T&C's? I was under the impression that each person could have an entree, coffee, and juice? So regardless if you go over I would assume you could push back against this arbitrary limit. Unless of course the limit is more generous than the T&C's?
The old Diamond conditions were more ambiguous and generous. These new ones basically give you whatever breakfast set the hotel serves and a beverage. The only hope here is that you don't go over too much and the hotel decided to waive the charges upon checkout.

Originally Posted by Kacee

While I was not a fan of this property, the breakfast policy is not bad, particularly compared to competing programs. (I'm at a high end Starwood resort right now, where the Plat breakfast credit is $18.)
Does that buy coffee and a muffin or just coffee?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:11 pm

Globalist breakfast 2 adults + 2 kids my elder son (9yrs) eats almost as much as my wife. For Globalist member traveling with family, why Hyatt regards kid's breakfast fee only the half of the adult's?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rebyang
Globalist breakfast 2 adults + 2 kids my elder son (9yrs) eats almost as much as my wife. For Globalist member traveling with family, why Hyatt regards kid's breakfast fee only the half of the adult's?
Which is odd because there's no kids menu.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Because they needed to draw the line somewhere.

I'm no Hyatt defender, but this benefit is pretty costly to the properties and I don't really begrudge them reasonable limitations. It's certainly much better than any other program's breakfast benefit.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
We stayed here with our kids on Oct 8 and had a great time there. At check-in I was told you get $45/person including kids. Then at checkout I was told some variant like others mentioned. They honored the original recommendation. They do have a kids menu there which is quite good and the kids loved it. Now we went a little overboard at breakfast, but really enjoyed it and happily paid a little bit of difference. Most of the difference came from the $11 juices for the kids. =)

Great place and service overall! Really top notch!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
So what happens if your kids are teens (ages 16 and 15 in my case)? Are they still considered kids? If not, does that imply no breakfast benefit?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mangoMan
So what happens if your kids are teens (ages 16 and 15 in my case)? Are they still considered kids? If not, does that imply no breakfast benefit?
Well Mangoman, if you read the World of Hyatt T's & C's its somewhat clear:

Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children. The age cut-off for a “child” is determined by each hotel or resort in its sole discretion. (For stays at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Globalists will instead be provided with daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children.)

In the US, the definition of a child is usually under 18 years of age. However, in Europe, most hotels set the age at 12 and under. That's why it varies by hotel as stated above. I think you will find the PH NY will honor the policy of children under the age of 18. You are good, Bon Appétit
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Coffee

I have a stay in about 10 days and have a coffee question. As a GLOB, If I don't order 57th Street breakfast and order an entree and coffee (up to my $45 limit), am I charged per cup of coffee? Up thread, in a post or two, it reads as if coffee refills are not included. Did I misread that?

Brekkie entree + coffee = Brekkie entree + coffee + coffee refills?

Cheers
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I have a stay in about 10 days and have a coffee question. As a GLOB, If I don't order 57th Street breakfast and order an entree and coffee (up to my $45 limit), am I charged per cup of coffee? Up thread, in a post or two, it reads as if coffee refills are not included. Did I misread that?

Brekkie entree + coffee = Brekkie entree + coffee + coffee refills?

Cheers
I'm guessing they could sell it per cup like the juices. I just did the French press pot.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:35 am

When we ordered 2 coffee ($11 for each, total $22), they only gave us 2 coffee cups and one pot. I thought it would be 2 pots
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Mostly that might be true -- but PH NY is often over $600 a night and the pts+cash is better than the pts only rate when the cash rate is roughly 700$ a night or higher (correcting for taxes, loss pts earning).

The real kicker is when you need those night credits for earning status.
Instead of wasting $300 plus tax for 1 night credit. Matteres run a category 1 c and p for $50 plus tax
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by bknets88
Instead of wasting $300 plus tax for 1 night credit. Matteres run a category 1 c and p for $50 plus tax
Yeah, but I plan on avoiding pure mattress running, and PH NYC maybe the hotel of choice for a stay there. It is nice to be able to pick up night credits during regular travel, and Pts+cash lets that occur while pts only doesn't. I have a three night stay booked on all pts next June at PH NYC and those three nights would be nice to count as it could help me get over the 70 night threshold for an extra TSU. Pts+cash there would be a better pt-value redemption than pts only, but it doesn't seem like any manhattan property makes pts+cash available (though for most NYC hotels, the Pts+cash redemption would be terrible in comparison to the rack rates because they are all - except PH - in too high of a category).
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Pts+cash there would be a better pt-value redemption than pts only
That's false math. It ignores the fact you're out of pocket $300 per night when you don't have to be. Similar to the "buy more, save more" promotions that are so successful at exploiting a logical fallacy and thus increasing the retailer's profit.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's false math. It ignores the fact you're out of pocket $300 per night when you don't have to be. Similar to the "buy more, save more" promotions that are so successful at exploiting a logical fallacy and thus increasing the retailer's profit.
The common usage definition is that the best point value means best $/point ratio on points used.

It's true math.

It's a different metric than "saving the most money". For example, the member rate is $1,005 for thanksgiving night. Points only yields 3.35 cents per point ($1005/30,000).
Points plus cash is $705/15,000= 4.7 cents per point, quite a bit higher.

You are getting a return of only 2 cents per point when you spend the additional 15k (saving $300 for another 15,000 points).

Another way of looking at it is if you ONLY had 30,000 points, you could either get one night free OR one night free and the second night at $300. Given the cost of the hotel, it seems better to me than spending 60k points on 2 free nights unless you have a huge, huge stash of points or don't have other uses for your points. But if you have enough points for all your desires, then I would agree on going all points unless one needs stay credit.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
It's a different metric than "saving the most money". For example, the member rate is $1,005 for thanksgiving night. Points only yields 3.35 cents per point ($1005/30,000).
Points plus cash is $705/15,000= 4.7 cents per point, quite a bit higher.

You are getting a return of only 2 cents per point when you spend the additional 15k (saving $300 for another 15,000 points).
I'm familiar with the analysis. I just think it's based on flawed logic (including particularly the assumption that I would pay $1005 per night to stay at this property, which I would not).

I'm totally with Gary Leff on this one . . . Cat 7 C+P is a bad deal compared to pure points. You're buying 15,000 points for 2 cents each, which is more than they are worth by any objective analysis.

The traditional benefits of C+P over all points were (1) DSU eligibility, and (2) stay credit. The first benefit has now been mooted for all of us, and the second for some of us (since we've stopped chasing Hyatt status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.