Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

Stayed Thursday - Sunday last week on 2x Cat7 certs plus an award night. Upgraded to a King or Studio suite, not sure which (room 1104), at check-in. Room was in need of some repairs, definitely not to PH standards. Mentioned it on the way out to dinner to see if maintenance could fix it while we were out and they moved us to the 1-bedroom suite next door.

Great breakfast and evening drinks, but too bad there is no restaurant. Lounge chairs and tables aren't ideal for eating.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Turns out the hotel's executive chef left to go and work for Chipotle back in August.
That is so awesome. Perfectly demonstrates the gap between this property's pretensions and what it actually delivers.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m thinking of booking 3 nights (for the price of 2) in a Deluxe City View Room with two double beds on an FHR rate.

Do you think I stand any chance of an upgrade to a Studio Suite with 2 double beds?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ringingup
I’m thinking of booking 3 nights (for the price of 2) in a Deluxe City View Room with two double beds on an FHR rate.

Do you think I stand any chance of an upgrade to a Studio Suite with 2 double beds?
I'd say a pretty good chance. I've found that all manner of hotels, including PHs, tend to honor the FHR rules, so unless they were literally jammed to the gills, I think you could expect some kind of upgrade, and other than suites, there doesn't appear to be a category above Deluxe City View.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Going to work for Chipotle corporate as r&d chef does not equate to working at your local Chipotle outpost. It is likely quite a promotion in terms of career path, benefits, and salary.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Going to work for Chipotle corporate as r&d chef does not equate to working at your local Chipotle outpost. It is likely quite a promotion in terms of career path, benefits, and salary.
I'd rather be the R&D chef at Chipotle too than working at a subpar flagship hotel with poor restaurant facilities.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:01 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m sure that’s true, but it’s still freaking hilarious.

The PHNY has some pie on its face, regardless, no restaurant nor executive chef to replace the loss to Chipotle...and a worrying pattern of service issues galore. The PH Bangkok is soulless and has major service issues galore. The PH Vienna lacks a sense of place and has housekeeping and other service issues. The PH Sydney has housekeeping issues and some service recovery problems.

I’d say Park Hyatt as a brand is facing a bit of an identity crisis globally.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is likely quite a promotion in terms of career path, benefits, and salary.
It's a drastic change in career path.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin

200% agree with you there. It purports itself to be Hyatts's answer to the top tier luxury chains and commands the high requisite rates. BUT, the reality is something else. Many of them are just nice business hotels.
What shocks me as a frequent PH guest is their laxity and apathy towards service recovery. I'm not one to demand comps and points for minor infractions but all I ever get is cursory apologies for major issues. This hotel was a promise of a premium suite upgrade for another stay.

PH Seoul refunded 20 dollars off a bill for an inedible meal. "They'll notify the chef and get back to me." That was Christmas Day.

Vendome put it back on me for the concierge screwing up a booking. I was pretty clear on what i wanted and they clearly didn't listen. The only PH doing well in my books is Tokyo and that's because of an excellent hotel manager and Japanese hospitality/service.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m sure that’s true, but it’s still freaking hilarious.

The PHNY has some pie on its face, regardless, no restaurant nor executive chef to replace the loss to Chipotle...and a worrying pattern of service issues galore. The PH Bangkok is soulless and has major service issues galore. The PH Vienna lacks a sense of place and has housekeeping and other service issues. The PH Sydney has housekeeping issues and some service recovery problems.

Sadly what you wrote here is absolutely correct... Years ago Park Hyatt was amongst the most high end hospitality brands, whereas today it merely is an acceptable compromise.

Most problems are not down to local GMs (who are still trying hard), but rather decisions made along the way in regards to outsourcing et cetera, which are so disappointing. I’m done.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented

Sadly what you wrote here is absolutely correct... Years ago Park Hyatt was amongst the most high end hospitality brands, whereas today it merely is an acceptable compromise.

Most problems are not down to local GMs (who are still trying hard), but rather decisions made along the way in regards to outsourcing et cetera, which are so disappointing. I’m done.
I liked it before when every PH had its own choice of toiletries and personal style. The normalization across the brand has been very bland and stale.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I liked it before when every PH had its own choice of toiletries and personal style. The normalization across the brand has been very bland and stale.
"Stale" is exactly the right word.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:02 pm
Used to be hamajicky

I'll take the Andaz on 5th any day over the PHNY.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chalky White
I'll take the Andaz on 5th any day over the PHNY.
That's another can of worms...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Why are rates so low all of a sudden? I'm finding a fair number of nights that are available in the $400-$499 range. I know prices are cyclical and usually go down in the winter after the holidays, but I don't remember them going quite this low last year. Correct me if I'm wrong!

And they've also shut down their restaurant? I thought Park Hyatts had to have a restaurant as part of their brand identity? Certainly the "international flagship" would adhere to this rule, right? With them also recently re-naming their rooms (no more park kings, park suites, park executive suites, etc) to titles that are inconsistent with the standard Park Hyatt naming-scheme, are they preparing for a rebrand or something similar?

I know a rebrand is very unlikely, but then again before today I also thought that it was just as unlikely that they'd try to run a Park Hyatt without a restaurant. When they closed the The Back Room, at least they announced their intention to re-open it. I can't find any similar announcement this time around...

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jan 24, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.