FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

DesertFlier Feb 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Just booked 4 nights using 100k points for a girls weekend in May.

Can't wait to go through this thread for all the tips! :)

hailstorm Feb 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by DesertFlier (Post 22404495)
Just booked 4 nights using 100k points for a girls weekend in May.

Can't wait to go through this thread for all the tips! :)

Yes, there are a lot of people you'll need to give tips to at this resort.

ac921ol Feb 24, 2014 12:41 pm

I just booked 2 nights Sept 4-6th
When should I email and explain that its my Wedding Anniversary and I was wondeing/hoping I could get a complimentary upgrade or a room with a view. I believe Sept is a low season month so Im hoping its possible.

Other wise I was hoping I could finagle the Diamond Challenge at in August so I can get Diamond while down there. (i know it expires 60 days and the last day to apply is April, I think, so yes Im hoping they have another promo)

jordandawg05 Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am

i am looking at this property for a july stay for 4 nights. i am planning to get the hyatt card from chase for two nights and use my UR points to transfer 50k for another 2 for a total of 4 nights ...is there a promo some where that if 4 nights booked i can get 5th free? need the experts on this as i am trying to patch my stay for the summer.

thanks !

Mary2e Feb 25, 2014 9:11 am

If there were, you would have to pay for those nights. Free nights never apply to those promotions.

jordandawg05 Feb 25, 2014 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 22413679)
If there were, you would have to pay for those nights. Free nights never apply to those promotions.

i see, i figured i'll poke around. I used Marriot for my last trip and i had four nights free and they gave me the 5th one FREE on a high season booking...figured i'll ask on this program because i never redeemed stays with this one before.

thanks,

SanDiego1K Feb 25, 2014 9:25 am

Well worth a read:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...aui-andaz.html

andyman1080 Feb 25, 2014 9:55 am

Stayed here for 3 nights recently and it truly is an outstanding property. The staff are very warm, friendly and helpful. I just want to share a few points so folks can calibrate their expectations. We absolutely loved staying here.

We had used a suite upgrade to confirm into a partial ocean view suite in advance. But when we arrived we had been upgraded to a full ocean view suite. I felt the living area had much better views than the bedroom and some would prefer it the other way around. But it had fantastic views from nearly the entire suite, including the shower.

We were offered red or white wine as a diamond welcome amenity. We asked for champagne and that request was granted. YMMV. We selected the fruit plate and it was 4 pieces of delicious papaya with lime.

Our beach bag didn't arrive the evening we checked in, so we asked for it the next morning. It did not come with footwear so we asked and were told they were sorry but only had size 7 or so. We didn't need anything but were just curious about it.

Our guide for the complimentary outrigger canoe excursion was fun and we enjoyed talking with him. But expect to be paddling the canoe, that is part of it.

They do have complimentary sunscreen dispensers at the pools. I didn't notice until after I had purchased some from the ABC Store nearby.

There was a comment earlier about customizing the juices. Our experience was a daily green juice blend and a daily other juice blend each morning. Requests to customize were declined, but of course you can have as much as you like. I would reiterate comments about some servers being more informative than others. The menu did have bottomless mimosas listed for $15. We did not partake so I don't know if other drinks were included in that or whether diamonds still end up getting it for free.

The breakfast really is wonderful, one of the best we've had. The quality of everything is very high. But there was less variation than I expected. On the one hand, I can understand, don't mess with a good thing.

Our KIND bars and a Via were not replenished though we tipped $5 a day. However sodas were, as was one bag of Pop chips.

Again, just sharing so folks can have a better idea of what to expect. Overall, the Andaz is truly a lovely property and we can't wait to return.

DaveInLA Feb 25, 2014 10:21 am

Staying there for 4 nights next month, also Diamond upgrade. This is my first Diamond stay at a Hyatt.

How do you choose the Diamond welcome amenity? Is it upon check-in or do you choose it ahead of time? Also, I want to make sure I don't run into surprises. I've read that the hotel provides free local transportation via an SUV shuttle to certain destinations and also a free canoe excursion? Just ask the concierge?

Finally, I was expecting the bottomless mimosas and custom juices at breakfast, but the above post has me a little discouraged. Any other thoughts on this?

andyman1080 Feb 25, 2014 10:21 am

Some photos of a x40 suite:
Can't get them posted in line correctly, here is a shared folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z62wgc7lyhuuybw/-rj26Qs3s3

jordandawg05 Feb 25, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 22413767)

wow ! awesome trip report. makes me wana book all my stay there :D , 4 nights will do though if i can get 2 nighits off hyatt card and 50k UR points :D

andyman1080 Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22414210)
Finally, I was expecting the bottomless mimosas and custom juices at breakfast, but the above post has me a little discouraged. Any other thoughts on this?

Clarified my comment above. I meant one variety of green juice and one variety of other juice each morning. But it's part of the breakfast experience so it is bottomless. Also, some servers don't mention it but espresso based drinks are available, and when I asked for a iced latte to go I was given one.

andyman1080 Feb 25, 2014 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22414210)
Staying there for 4 nights next month, also Diamond upgrade. This is my first Diamond stay at a Hyatt.

How do you choose the Diamond welcome amenity? Is it upon check-in or do you choose it ahead of time? Also, I want to make sure I don't run into surprises. I've read that the hotel provides free local transportation via an SUV shuttle to certain destinations and also a free canoe excursion? Just ask the concierge?

Amenity is selected at check in, but you can schedule the delivery of your amenity for pretty much any time during your stay.

The local shuttle is great. First come first served at the valet stand out front. But since the shuttles are for the Wailea area only you shouldn't ever have to wait longer than 10 minutes or so. They have a pair of Escalades. If you need a ride back to the Andaz, they will give you a number to call to request a pickup.

VandyBDL Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Andaz vs Grand Wailea

I'm Hilton Diamond and downgraded to Hyatt Platinum. I had an amazing stay at Grand Wailea last year and have some free hilton CC nights and points to use, but really want to stay at Andaz. Can someone who has stayed at both pinpoint some of their favorite differences in each hotel. I don't usually spend much time eating or drinking at the hotel, so I'm more interested in the quality of the rooms, public spaces, and staff. I'm young with no kids and like the aesthetic of both hotels.

canyonleo Feb 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by VandyBDL (Post 22425312)
I'm Hilton Diamond and downgraded to Hyatt Platinum. I had an amazing stay at Grand Wailea last year and have some free hilton CC nights and points to use, but really want to stay at Andaz. Can someone who has stayed at both pinpoint some of their favorite differences in each hotel. I don't usually spend much time eating or drinking at the hotel, so I'm more interested in the quality of the rooms, public spaces, and staff. I'm young with no kids and like the aesthetic of both hotels.

I can comment on two things (noting that I stayed at Andaz last year and GW over eight years ago). IMO...

First, with regard to beach and reef (I saw the pools twice in my two week stay - I'm in the ocean the whole day not on the property) they are fairly equal. I think Ulua+Mokapu is a little better than Wailea, but in general it's pretty equal.

Second, with regard to the properties, Andaz is much smaller and more intimate than Grand Wailea (which is quite grand). I think this is a big point of differentiation - one is a small boutique type property and one is a larger resort type property.