FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

VandyBDL Feb 26, 14 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 22425390)
I can comment on two things (noting that I stayed at Andaz last year and GW over eight years ago). IMO...

First, with regard to beach and reef (I saw the pools twice in my two week stay - I'm in the ocean the whole day not on the property) they are fairly equal. I think Ulua+Mokapu is a little better than Wailea, but in general it's pretty equal.

Second, with regard to the properties, Andaz is much smaller and more intimate than Grand Wailea (which is quite grand). I think this is a big point of differentiation - one is a small boutique type property and one is a larger resort type property.

Thanks, goes in line with what I was thinking. I suppose I can't go wrong at either hotel if I keep my expectations in check and focus on relaxing!

xuni4everx Feb 28, 14 2:54 pm

has anyone receive 4 pm late check out from this property?

hailstorm Feb 28, 14 5:00 pm

What is the "best" suite this hotel has to offer? Is there anything akin to a Presidential Suite or such?

suite2suite Feb 28, 14 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 22438813)
What is the "best" suite this hotel has to offer? Is there anything akin to a Presidential Suite or such?

I haven't seen anything other than the 2, 3 & 4 bedroom ocean front villas and these are rented directly from the hotel. They are quite large.

DaveInLA Feb 28, 14 8:54 pm

I am interested in the complimentary outrigger canoe excursion. Do I make reservations for this when I check in, or do I just show up at a certain location in the morning?

FlyinHawaiian Feb 28, 14 9:11 pm

We asked at check-in and they made reservations for us. There's only room for six paddlers; walk-ups are not likely.

andyman1080 Feb 28, 14 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by xuni4everx (Post 22438136)
has anyone receive 4 pm late check out from this property?

Yes, as diamond.

hitman1420 Mar 1, 14 1:09 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22414210)
Staying there for 4 nights next month, also Diamond upgrade. This is my first Diamond stay at a Hyatt.

How do you choose the Diamond welcome amenity? Is it upon check-in or do you choose it ahead of time? Also, I want to make sure I don't run into surprises. I've read that the hotel provides free local transportation via an SUV shuttle to certain destinations and also a free canoe excursion? Just ask the concierge?

Finally, I was expecting the bottomless mimosas and custom juices at breakfast, but the above post has me a little discouraged. Any other thoughts on this?

^ Will be there next month as well, looking forward to experience as a Diamond and hoping to get upgrade to full ocean view.

jordandawg05 Mar 1, 14 9:47 am

planning a 4 nights stay in july. i am waiting on my certificates after i meet my spent on my hyatt card. With platinum status, what should one expect from this property?

what is best way to go about reserving two night certificate and two nights on points? should i call reservation to combine the two?

thanks !

xuni4everx Mar 1, 14 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by andyman1080 (Post 22440178)
Yes, as diamond.

I was told "no 4 pm late check out" as diamond. I guess this property is consider as "Resort"

FlyinHawaiian Mar 2, 14 7:24 am

I asked for 2 p.m. late checkout and was given it without any issue.

IflyfromPHX Mar 2, 14 7:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 22446353)
I asked for 2 p.m. late checkout and was given it without any issue.

We were also given a 2pm late checkout. We had an 11pm flight. So we had the bellman hold our bags for the afternoon and went to the pool. We then used the departure suite (cannot remember the name) to shower/change/pack. Then went to dinner and relaxed before our 830 departure to the airport.

With the departure suite available checkout time was not a huge issue.

peteropny Mar 2, 14 9:15 am

Originally Posted by jordandawg05 (Post 22442090)
planning a 4 nights stay in july. i am waiting on my certificates after i meet my spent on my hyatt card. With platinum was, what should one expect from this property?

what is best way to go about reserving two night certificate and two nights on points? should i call reservation to combine the two?

thanks !

Calling is best - otherwise you'd end up with 3 confirmations since the credit card nights need to be booked individually.

Originally Posted by xuni4everx (Post 22443053)
I was told "no 4 pm late check out" as diamond. I guess this property is consider as "Resort"

4PM isn't guaranteed for resorts but they may grant it if not busy / no new guest blocked into your room that night. Different property but at GHK, I was given a 2pm in a partial ocean view since there were people coming in but last Sept was given 4pm on a deluxe ocean suite since no one was scheduled to come in.

Ancien Maestro Mar 2, 14 9:21 am

Originally Posted by andyman1080 (Post 22440178)
Yes, as diamond.

Originally Posted by xuni4everx (Post 22443053)

Sounds like its upon availability

I sure can use a late checkout tail end of our stay in late August. I hope the hotel can accommodate us at the very least a 2 pm checkout. Makes the transition between Andaz and GW smoother.

catsassy Mar 2, 14 11:25 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22439779)
I am interested in the complimentary outrigger canoe excursion. Do I make reservations for this when I check in, or do I just show up at a certain location in the morning?

We reserved via the Beach Crew hut which is down by the beach.

You can go at 7 am or 7.30am. Note the early start tends to mean than the turtles aren't very active yet (especially in winter).

There's a $20 per person charge if you're a no show or forget to cancel more than 24 hours ahead (or maybe it was 48 hours?).