FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Calcifer Jan 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Here now--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Someone had asked about the complimentary outrigger tours up thread. They still do these, at 7 and 7:30am (so a half hour trip), but not all mornings. This week's schedule shows them as S, M, T, Th, Sa. Apparently they were getting cancelled last week due to weather. We went this morning and really enjoyed it, even in the rain.

For those asking about water temps, the pools and the ocean are quite warm now, we'd guess in the 70s.

Confirming there are suites in the middle of the wings, and in the middle tower--that's what we have.

Just had to stop posting to run out to the balcony and watch whales--so cool.

Lastly, if you are a coffee snob and doing the full "breakfast experience", get the pourover coffee from the juice bar rather than the house coffee your server will bring. So ono. ^

hqly2001 Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer (Post 22233264)
Here now--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Someone had asked about the complimentary outrigger tours up thread. They still do these, at 7 and 7:30am (so a half hour trip), but not all mornings. This week's schedule shows them as S, M, T, Th, Sa. Apparently they were getting cancelled last week due to weather. We went this morning and really enjoyed it, even in the rain.

For those asking about water temps, the pools and the ocean are quite warm now, we'd guess in the 70s.

Confirming there are suites in the middle of the wings, and in the middle tower--that's what we have.

Just had to stop posting to run out to the balcony and watch whales--so cool.

Lastly, if you are a coffee snob and doing the full "breakfast experience", get the pourover coffee from the juice bar rather than the house coffee your server will bring. So ono. ^

Thanks for update. I was thinking about taking my 4yo daughter on the canoe trip, could she join and just sit near me or is she too young?
I heard it's a work out, so maybe she won't be able to join?

did you book a suite or was upgraded to one? Gonna head there this Sat.

Calcifer Jan 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22233396)
Thanks for update. I was thinking about taking my 4yo daughter on the canoe trip, could she join and just sit near me or is she too young?
I heard it's a work out, so maybe she won't be able to join?

did you book a suite or was upgraded to one? Gonna head there this Sat.

Not sure if she'd be able to join--there is nowhere to "just sit", and it definitely is a workout, especially in this weather. You'd have to check with the hotel if they have a minimum age.

We used a Diamond suite upgrade, so it's not a comp.

hqly2001 Jan 27, 2014 2:40 pm

I wonder what is the highest level room a diamond would get comped to? Partial view or Deluxe view rooms?

Barbella7 Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.

Calcifer Jan 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Barbella7 (Post 22235717)
Has anyone heard anything about the villas? Not finding much information online.

Someone upthread posted pictures (maybe in a blog link?). Looks like a few might be in use but the majority are still under construction.

xlax Jan 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer (Post 22233264)
--the water bottles are supposed to arrive tomorrow. ^

Thank goodness...I was about to cancel my stay for this weekend.

But on a serious note, I'm using 2 Free Suite Nights (plus on night on cash/points and an upgrade) that I received for getting the Chase card in my good ol' Diamond Days, which means that breakfast will not be on the house. So my question for all of you is this: is the breakfast great for a free breakfast or is it great enough to actually pay for? Thanks.

xlax

hqly2001 Jan 30, 2014 12:55 am

Originally Posted by xlax (Post 22249537)
Thank goodness...I was about to cancel my stay for this weekend.

But on a serious note, I'm using 2 Free Suite Nights (plus on night on cash/points and an upgrade) that I received for getting the Chase card in my good ol' Diamond Days, which means that breakfast will not be on the house. So my question for all of you is this: is the breakfast great for a free breakfast or is it great enough to actually pay for? Thanks.

xlax

My understanding is that its probably gOod enough to pay once but not everyday.

hqly2001 Jan 30, 2014 12:57 am

Heard a lot of compaint about construction noise, does anyone know when construction will be completed?

Will the pool be more crowded on weekend or weekdays? Id imagine itll be pretty light next week?

nighthawkrs Jan 30, 2014 1:59 am

Someone wrote about the villas and had a link, but I can't find it anymore.
At least the first villas should be ready now.

For those of you actually there: what kind of coffee do they have in restaurants and in suites?

milemonkey Jan 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Are there any entertainment and/or lounge options open late at the Andaz? I know Maui (especially Wailea) is an early closing area, but was hoping the Andaz had some late nite options.

tjbrooks Jan 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by nighthawkrs (Post 22250890)
For those of you actually there: what kind of coffee do they have in restaurants and in suites?

I'll be there in a week, but from what I've read and seen:
Starbucks VIA (instant) packets in-room
Maui-grown pour-over at Ka'ana Kitchen, upon request.

canyonleo Jan 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by nighthawkrs (Post 22250890)

I'm a huge coffee snob, so while I can give great detail regarding what they offer outside one's room, I can't comment on what's in the rooms (other than categorize it as "swill").

At breakfast you can get pour over of really excellent but not the freshest local 100% (not a blend) beans. The beans will have been roasted within the last week or two (thus not the freshest), probably ground the night before.

In the restaurants (or at breakfast but not the pour over) I was told it's a blend containing some local (Maui or other island?), same freshness as noted.

hqly2001 Jan 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Anyone know the room diamonds are comped to? Deluxe ocean?

l etoile Jan 31, 2014 8:38 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 22230058)
Actually, while there are suites on the ends of each floor (closest to the ocean) there are, in fact, suites in the middle of each floor as well.

This is my second stay here. The first was in mid-December. It's much busier now.

There are two different suites. There is the suite in the middle area and there is the suite on the end. I've now had both. The suites on the end have a considerably larger living room. They are furnished pretty much the same except that there is also a bench sofa against the wall across from the dining table. I don't see any real benefit to having the larger suite. I'd make requests based on view.

A villa was just featured on the finale of Top Chef (filmed here last fall). The second part of the finale airs Wed so you may see more then, or perhaps you can find a weblink to this past Wednesday's show. I know at least two of the villas are sold to the same buyer.