FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

SportsTech Nov 19, 14 1:18 am


Originally Posted by themice (Post 23863411)
The only time you need to worry about me is if you happen to run into me before my 2nd cup of coffee! :D

I am sure we are going to enjoy the Andaz very much.

And I hope you enjoy spending time with Flyertalk - we need more people like you who can stay on point and above the fray!

ZBigFam Nov 19, 14 1:16 pm

Staying here in mid to late Dec...can someone pls PM me the Kihei option? Would like to save on the $30+tip per day charges.

canyonleo Nov 19, 14 4:12 pm


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23867290)
Staying here in mid to late Dec...can someone pls PM me the Kihei option? Would like to save on the $30+tip per day charges.

See PM.

And back to the discussion with themice, do you prefer that second cup of coffee in your room (bring your own) or from a property vendor :p (also relevant to my coffee snobery discussions:cool: )

salvag Nov 19, 14 5:09 pm

What is the Kihei option?

canyonleo Nov 19, 14 5:16 pm


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 23868447)
What is the Kihei option?

An alternative option to using the hotel valet. If you're doing a stay soon PM me and I'll send you details.

berto714 Nov 19, 14 9:20 pm


Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23862035)
To experience things that one wouldn't otherwise experience.

Why would a person go all the way to a luxury resort in Wailea and not even try to sample the food it has to offer?

You have to be trolling to be this persistent, right?

People go to resorts for a myriad of reasons - food is only one of the things that resorts have to offer. Why is someone obligated to try ANY of the food at a resort, let alone all of it? Maybe food is just not a priority for them? Or maybe they aren't a breakfast person?

Or maybe they realize that food at hotels, and resorts in particular, is generally mediocre and less varied than similarly priced food you can find off-resort. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but most times I eat at a resort I wind up regretting it. Unless it's the rare time that that resort really does have one of the best restaurants in the area, or offers some kind of unique experience that I can't get elsewhere nearby, I don't feel compelled to eat there.

In the end though, the decision is a personal one, and I'm not sure why you seem so interested in telling everyone else they are wrong.

themice Nov 19, 14 10:37 pm


Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23868158)
See PM.

And back to the discussion with themice, do you prefer that second cup of coffee in your room (bring your own) or from a property vendor :p (also relevant to my coffee snobery discussions:cool: )

Given the choice, I'm a Starbucks gal - venti, dark roast, black (I don't know a latte from a mocha-whatever ;) ) - but now half-caf because my eye doc is convinced cutting back the caffeine is better for my eye pressure. Since I work from home, I brew Starbucks myself (Sumatra Dark). I sometimes bring Via Italian roast (regular and decaf) in case coffee is iffy on the road. When traveling, prefer coffee out, but have brewed it in room.

And, again, I'm not a big breakfast eater - I save those calories for dinner, chocolate and ice cream.

themice Nov 19, 14 11:00 pm


Originally Posted by berto714 (Post 23869419)
You have to be trolling to be this persistent, right?

People go to resorts for a myriad of reasons - food is only one of the things that resorts have to offer. Why is someone obligated to try ANY of the food at a resort, let alone all of it? Maybe food is just not a priority for them? Or maybe they aren't a breakfast person?

Or maybe they realize that food at hotels, and resorts in particular, is generally mediocre and less varied than similarly priced food you can find off-resort. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but most times I eat at a resort I wind up regretting it. Unless it's the rare time that that resort really does have one of the best restaurants in the area, or offers some kind of unique experience that I can't get elsewhere nearby, I don't feel compelled to eat there.

We enjoy good food but we are not "foodies." Food isn't the main focus of our vacations, but we do like to have nice restaurant meals. And I would tend to agree that most hotel/resort restaurants we have dined in have been average for the most part. Usually when we dine on property it is more a matter of convenience, late hour, or the like.

LIH Prem Nov 20, 14 1:28 am


Originally Posted by themice (Post 23869624)
And, again, I'm not a big breakfast eater - I save those calories for dinner, chocolate and ice cream.

Check out Da Kitchen for some local food for dinner .. in Kihei, not far from the hotel by car.

http://www.da-kitchen.com/kihei-menu.html

There's a nicer version of it in Kahului, not far from Dairy Rd and Hana Hwy interesection. Same food, just a little nicer place to eat in.

-David

ZBigFam Nov 20, 14 8:57 am


Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23868158)
See PM.

And back to the discussion with themice, do you prefer that second cup of coffee in your room (bring your own) or from a property vendor :p (also relevant to my coffee snobery discussions:cool: )

Thanks! I will report how it works...hopefully no towing!

peteropny Nov 20, 14 9:33 am

Can we get back on topic and discontinue discussing why or why not people should have breakfast on property. Of course posts of other breakfast options are welcome.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

oc2005 Nov 20, 14 10:22 am

For those looking for cheaper breakfast (and food) options, here are a couple of other good options if you have a car:

1. There are many fantastic farmers markets throughout Maui, including a couple of ok, smaller ones in Kihei (and a better one in the mall near the airport), that can have incredible fruit -- some far better than you can get even at the breakfast buffet. They will often have some combination of fresh pineapples, bananas, longans, lychees, passion fruit, star fruit, coconuts, and several varieties of papayas and mangos (some of which are have been some of the best I've ever had). Only note for some of the varieties of fruit is you'll need a knife to open them and silverware to eat (which I'll bet you could get from room service or just buy at the store). Here is a link to a list of Maui farmers markets: http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebo...arkets-on-maui

2. If you have a car, there are many, many more affordably priced restaurants and bakeries in Kihei. Just yelp it and you'll find dozens. Same applies for lunch / dinner in fact -- there is a great food truck scene that has developed in Hawaii with often as good or better tasting food than the super pricey Mama's/Merriman's type places at one-tenth the cost. Again just yelp it and you'll find dozens, including several in the Kihei/Wailea area. Personally I go to the fancier places for the view/service/ambiance, but some of the best food I've had in Hawaii has been a $6 plate lunch, locally flavored taco, Luau pork, Huli Huli chicken or similar unique item from a food truck.

3. Even the normal grocery store or Costco is a good option for great fresh produce (papayas and pineapples in particular tend to be good even from the local grocery stores) plus other typical breakfast items (pastries, yogurt, cereal). Only warning is the refrigerator in the room is a stocked, drink fridge, so it doesn't get as cold as a normal refrigerator and is full of free drinks (though I hear it's less full than it used to be!) A good option if you're getting cereal/milk is individual sized, shelf stable milk, which while more expensive is much less likely to go bad (and is still cheap compared to any restaurant). I'll bet you could also request a standard mini-fridge since typically most hotels have a handful of these. Again you'll need plastic bowls or cups and spoons for this, but any local grocery store will carry that.

While the food at Ka'ana Kitchen is fantastic (and I'd recommend going there for at least one breakfast and one dinner just to try it), you can have an equally delicious experience and really taste the local produce/flavors with a little bit of effort for a lot less money.

pickles1107 Nov 20, 14 1:26 pm


Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 23871666)
For those looking for cheaper breakfast (and food) options, here are a couple of other good options if you have a car:

1. There are many fantastic farmers markets throughout Maui, including a couple of ok, smaller ones in Kihei (and a better one in the mall near the airport), that can have incredible fruit -- some far better than you can get even at the breakfast buffet. They will often have some combination of fresh pineapples, bananas, longans, lychees, passion fruit, star fruit, coconuts, and several varieties of papayas and mangos (some of which are have been some of the best I've ever had). Only note for some of the varieties of fruit is you'll need a knife to open them and silverware to eat (which I'll bet you could get from room service or just buy at the store). Here is a link to a list of Maui farmers markets: http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebo...arkets-on-maui

2. If you have a car, there are many, many more affordably priced restaurants and bakeries in Kihei. Just yelp it and you'll find dozens. Same applies for lunch / dinner in fact -- there is a great food truck scene that has developed in Hawaii with often as good or better tasting food than the super pricey Mama's/Merriman's type places at one-tenth the cost. Again just yelp it and you'll find dozens, including several in the Kihei/Wailea area. Personally I go to the fancier places for the view/service/ambiance, but some of the best food I've had in Hawaii has been a $6 plate lunch, locally flavored taco, Luau pork, Huli Huli chicken or similar unique item from a food truck.

3. Even the normal grocery store or Costco is a good option for great fresh produce (papayas and pineapples in particular tend to be good even from the local grocery stores) plus other typical breakfast items (pastries, yogurt, cereal). Only warning is the refrigerator in the room is a stocked, drink fridge, so it doesn't get as cold as a normal refrigerator and is full of free drinks (though I hear it's less full than it used to be!) A good option if you're getting cereal/milk is individual sized, shelf stable milk, which while more expensive is much less likely to go bad (and is still cheap compared to any restaurant). I'll bet you could also request a standard mini-fridge since typically most hotels have a handful of these. Again you'll need plastic bowls or cups and spoons for this, but any local grocery store will carry that.

While the food at Ka'ana Kitchen is fantastic (and I'd recommend going there for at least one breakfast and one dinner just to try it), you can have an equally delicious experience and really taste the local produce/flavors with a little bit of effort for a lot less money.

We did request and receive a mini-fridge and microwave when we were there in July. ^

ajshin27 Nov 21, 14 10:11 am


Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 23871666)
For those looking for cheaper breakfast (and food) options, here are a couple of other good options if you have a car:

1. There are many fantastic farmers markets throughout Maui, including a couple of ok, smaller ones in Kihei (and a better one in the mall near the airport), that can have incredible fruit -- some far better than you can get even at the breakfast buffet. They will often have some combination of fresh pineapples, bananas, longans, lychees, passion fruit, star fruit, coconuts, and several varieties of papayas and mangos (some of which are have been some of the best I've ever had). Only note for some of the varieties of fruit is you'll need a knife to open them and silverware to eat (which I'll bet you could get from room service or just buy at the store). Here is a link to a list of Maui farmers markets: http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebo...arkets-on-maui

2. If you have a car, there are many, many more affordably priced restaurants and bakeries in Kihei. Just yelp it and you'll find dozens. Same applies for lunch / dinner in fact -- there is a great food truck scene that has developed in Hawaii with often as good or better tasting food than the super pricey Mama's/Merriman's type places at one-tenth the cost. Again just yelp it and you'll find dozens, including several in the Kihei/Wailea area. Personally I go to the fancier places for the view/service/ambiance, but some of the best food I've had in Hawaii has been a $6 plate lunch, locally flavored taco, Luau pork, Huli Huli chicken or similar unique item from a food truck.

3. Even the normal grocery store or Costco is a good option for great fresh produce (papayas and pineapples in particular tend to be good even from the local grocery stores) plus other typical breakfast items (pastries, yogurt, cereal). Only warning is the refrigerator in the room is a stocked, drink fridge, so it doesn't get as cold as a normal refrigerator and is full of free drinks (though I hear it's less full than it used to be!) A good option if you're getting cereal/milk is individual sized, shelf stable milk, which while more expensive is much less likely to go bad (and is still cheap compared to any restaurant). I'll bet you could also request a standard mini-fridge since typically most hotels have a handful of these. Again you'll need plastic bowls or cups and spoons for this, but any local grocery store will carry that.

While the food at Ka'ana Kitchen is fantastic (and I'd recommend going there for at least one breakfast and one dinner just to try it), you can have an equally delicious experience and really taste the local produce/flavors with a little bit of effort for a lot less money.

For breakfast, I heard Kihei Caffe is very popular. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from the hotel and most of the plates are under $10.

For dinner, there are many places that offer a happy hour menu. You can easily have a nice dinner...if you dont mind eating before 6pm. My wife and I hit up 3 happy hour spots during our week stay back in Sept. Our favorite was Migrant Maui which is right next door to the Andaz Maui at the Marriott.

meecal Nov 21, 14 11:26 am

Yes, we requested and received a mini-fridge in late July 2014 also. Made great use of it as we had bought quite a few options from Costco, stopping there on our way to the Andaz from the airport. For those that are looking to be frugal while still enjoying Maui I highly recommend grabbing some items at Costco or the grocery store before checking in to the hotel.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:05 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.