FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

ctownflyer Mar 2, 2014 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by xuni4everx (Post 22438136)
has anyone receive 4 pm late check out from this property?

Asked day before departure and was denied.
Asked again on day of departure and was granted 4pm with no fuss.

catsassy Mar 2, 2014 2:27 pm

Overall a great stay but some concerns.

Great property and wonderful location. We stayed for 9 nights in February and agree with much that has been posted here.

The staff are mostly young and some are definitely rookies.
We found the pool staff, the valet and the spa staff to be first class. Quick, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and efficient.
Best of all was maid service. Almost invisible, always efficient and timely. Almost as soon as the service light was switched on you could expect your room to be cleaned.

The i-pad carrying reception staff were a mixed bunch. One to two didn't seem up to speed with using their ipads and had to ask other staff how to get out of a screen or whatever.

I didn't see anything about 'gluten free' in this thread but I think the wheat free lilikoi bread is worth a mention.
It was my absolute favorite item at breakfast and there are a lot of good things to choose from.
The ahi poke bowl on the menu at the bars and poolside is labelled as wheat free but comes with soy sauce.. that lists wheat as an ingredient! I did mention this to a staff member who promised to share the information with other staff.
Im not sure if the actual dish contained some of the same soy sauce but it might have.

Highlights :)
We really enjoyed the beautiful adult/ tranquil pool. The hotel was quite busy while we were there and there was rarely more than half a dozen people set up at this pool. Sometimes I had it to myself.

The beach is also lovely.
We tried the outrigger experience and my daughter went paddle boarding.
One of the beach crew helped my daughter with her paddle board and took a few photos of her with a waterproof camera (and promptly emailed them to her). A nice touch.

I used the spa facilities a couple of time towards the end of our stay. I didn't have any treatments but it was a nice environment to relax in. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.

Breakfast, a treat each morning!

I loved the Maile toiletries and I usually dislike all the hotel toiletries and bring my own!

The main issue we had were problems with our bill.
Our credit card was mistakenly charged over $500 for a night (we were using points for the stay). It hasn't been refunded yet but they've apologised.
When my husband mentioned the charge the member of staff said 'Oh sorry! Would you like me to remove that for you?"
My husband was a little dumbfounded by this question but responded "yes, please!" :rolleyes:

I had read about others having issues with their bill so my husband decided to spend a few minutes towards the end of our stay to check the bill again for any anomalies to avoid any surprises at checkout.

He noticed the car parking charges extended a day beyond the return of our hire car and the staff member said he'd remove it right then and it would only take a few minutes. It did only take a few minutes but the extra day charge for parking was still on our bill at checkout..!
We were also charged for breakfast on 3 or 4 occasions (diamond member) and these charges were removed.

At checkout there was a charge for a beverage at the spa that we didn't purchase. It was removed.

One other minor disappointment was that we didn't receive leis. I'd forgotten that arriving guests received beautiful leis at this property until I noticed some new arrivals a few days later. Not sure why we missed out and I didn't go to the trouble of enquiring. Too busy enjoying myself!

Go, enjoy this beautiful hotel but check your bill! ;)

ac921ol Mar 4, 2014 9:16 pm

so what are some prices I might incur at the
Pool?
Spa?
Breakfast? am I able to just order a plate and not get buffet?
Parking?

anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks.

canyonleo Mar 4, 2014 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ac921ol (Post 22464068)
so what are some prices I might incur at the
Pool?
Spa?
Breakfast? am I able to just order a plate and not get buffet?
Parking?

anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks.

Use of pool is free for guests.
Spa charges vary by treatment (and there is some free use of facility I think).
I would think one can obtain a plate at no charge, and pay only for food orders (or bufffet).
I prefer free parking (see up-thread).

ac921ol Mar 5, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 22464258)
Use of pool is free for guests.
Spa charges vary by treatment (and there is some free use of facility I think).
I would think one can obtain a plate at no charge, and pay only for food orders (or bufffet).

how about the umbrellas and cabanas around the pools?? free of charge?

canyonleo Mar 5, 2014 1:10 pm

Almost all of the chairs around the pools have umbrellas with them. An exception might be the one row of chairs away from the pools and out-looking the sea.

There are also the same set up chairs/umbrellas on the (Mokapu) beach immediately in front of the hotel, and there is no charge for use of those.

All include set up by staff with towel-like seat coverings, sun block, wet facial towel, etc.

Only the lower (family/children) pool has cabanas (cloth) if I remember correctly. As I never used them, I'll have to let someone else comment on cost to use.

ac921ol Mar 5, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 22464258)

All I've read is the Tennis Court 1/2 miles away, or the shops 400-500 yards away.

is there anything Im missing?

canyonleo Mar 5, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ac921ol (Post 22468512)
All I've read is the Tennis Court 1/2 miles away, or the shops 400-500 yards away.

is there anything Im missing?

Check PM

jordandawg05 Mar 5, 2014 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 22468655)
Check PM

can you let me know if there is other alternative to valet? via PM or on here other than what was suggested ( tennis courts or shops). we'll be visiting in July and was curious to this too since we'll be renting a car

m0hamed Mar 6, 2014 4:56 am

Official resort video is now up http://youtu.be/IMK_JcWFKQs

jayer Mar 6, 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05 (Post 22469084)
can you let me know if there is other alternative to valet? via PM or on here other than what was suggested ( tennis courts or shops). we'll be visiting in July and was curious to this too since we'll be renting a car

There is no self parking lot at the hotel. I believe there are signs at the shops saying cars parked overnight would be towed. Guess you can gamble how serious they are.

Milezjunkie Mar 6, 2014 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05 (Post 22469084)

This resort has no resort fee as all other Wailea resorts do have. So while you're paying for parking, it's still cheaper than every other resort on the island.

jordandawg05 Mar 6, 2014 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie (Post 22477130)
This resort has no resort fee as all other Wailea resorts do have. So while you're paying for parking, it's still cheaper than every other resort on the island.

gotcha, thanks guys :) good to know

missydarlin Mar 7, 2014 1:16 am

Originally Posted by ac921ol (Post 22468352)
how about the umbrellas and cabanas around the pools?? free of charge?

I called about cabanas today ... $200

canyonleo Mar 7, 2014 9:31 am

There are a few options for free self-parking (along the south side of the Fairmont using the shuttle or the "Kehei Option". One need not justify paying $200 for a week of parking because of "no resort fee".

Do not park overnight at the mall!!
I believe the last person to report on parking across village at the tennis courts noted he received a warning ticket.