FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

DaveInLA Mar 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22571092)

I've stayed there three times now and have always been seated immediately. I usually have breakfast at 7 (they open at 6:30). The one time I had breakfast at 9 I was also seated immediately.

That being said if you are more comfortable making a reservation, you should.

Thanks.

I'm going on a kayak adventure tomorrow am at 715 in Makena. Won't get back until 11. I see 2 options. First, I go to the breakfast buffet and grab as many items to go as I can. Second, I call for room service early morning before heading out. What do you think?

Ancien Maestro Mar 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22571092)
I've stayed there three times now and have always been seated immediately. I usually have breakfast at 7 (they open at 6:30). The one time I had breakfast at 9 I was also seated immediately.

That being said if you are more comfortable making a reservation, you should.

What are the hours at Ka'ana for breakfast? We like to do breakfast late after taking it easy in the morning. Plus with such a lavish breakfast, only a light snack is needed in the afternoon.

We've always kept breakfast and supper elaborate in Wailea for the last ten years we've vacationed in the area.

Pat89339 Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22571166)
Thanks.

I'm going on a kayak adventure tomorrow am at 715 in Makena. Won't get back until 11. I see 2 options. First, I go to the breakfast buffet and grab as many items to go as I can. Second, I call for room service early morning before heading out. What do you think?

The staff is very accommodating. I would just ask what they suggest. This probably isn't the first time they've been asked.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 22571258)
What are the hours at Ka'ana for breakfast? We like to do breakfast late after taking it easy in the morning. Plus with such a lavish breakfast, only a light snack is needed in the afternoon.

We've always kept breakfast and supper elaborate in Wailea for the last ten years we've vacationed in the area.

Breakfast at Ka`ana Kitchen is 6:30-11:00.

DaveInLA Mar 23, 2014 1:02 am

Just checked in as a Diamond member on trial. I used my DSU, and was given Suite 140, which is supposed to be partial ocean view. It is dark right now, but as far as I can tell it is a zero ocean view. However, they said a lot of people are checking out tomorrow di they'll move me to a room with its own pool, also on the 1st floor.

LASUA1K Mar 23, 2014 7:14 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22571578)
Just checked in as a Diamond member on trial. I used my DSU, and was given Suite 140, which is supposed to be partial ocean view. It is dark right now, but as far as I can tell it is a zero ocean view. However, they said a lot of people are checking out tomorrow di they'll move me to a room with its own pool, also on the 1st floor.

Let me know how the rooms with its own pool is.

Ancien Maestro Mar 23, 2014 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22571321)
Breakfast at Ka`ana Kitchen is 6:30-11:00.

I imagine you can get seated right before 11 am and stay until finished? Or do they rush you out, and shut down the buffet by 11 am?

Kea Lani has us seated within the prescribed time, and serves buffet until finished.

Not that we do this everyday, plus when its warm at Kea Lani we usually don't like to stay into late morning. Ka'ana when we viewed their dining room was completely enclosed inside and well air conditioned. Or nowadays, does Ka'ana open their doors similar to HR Maui?

ctownflyer Mar 23, 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 22572357)
Let me know how the rooms with its own pool is.

Rooms are great but no real ocean view and the pool never gets any sunlight any time of the day. Though the pools are always a nice temperature, much warmer than the GHK.

catsassy Mar 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Ka'ana when we viewed their dining room was completely enclosed inside and well air conditioned. Or nowadays, does Ka'ana open their doors similar to HR Maui?[/QUOTE]

Yes they open the doors. You can opt to sit inside or outside on the balcony

catsassy Mar 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 22573450)
Rooms are great but no real ocean view and the pool never gets any sunlight any time of the day. Though the pools are always a nice temperature, much warmer than the GHK.

I agree and no real privacy either as the pools are overlooked and it's possible to see into the rooms.

DaveInLA Mar 24, 2014 12:36 am

Agree with comments regarding the pool. And the pool doesn't belong to just one suite-- I believe 3 or 4 suites share the pool. It's larger than I thought it would be.

Also, I checked out the "Kihei option" for parking... it's a little farther than I thought it would be. A good 10-15 min walk, depending on how fast you walk. During the daytime, it's fine. But the beach gets dark at night. My suggestion is that if you arrive before dark and don't plan to drive off site after that, it's a good option. But if you come back after a later dinner,it might be worth the $35+tip to do valet.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 25, 2014 5:15 am

Exceptional!

We are now off property. Our start with the property initially seemed to be good with a intro from a VIP services manager to the Andaz VIP services manager. Communication was good then it got really, really, really slow. To assure a suite for our event I used nearly 200k points with the intention of eventually using a DSU once the rooming list was submitted. In the end the Resort gave me the suite upgrade comp. Very nice.

Our suite was in the Makai tower on the top floor with picture windows looking out onto the ocean. Upon our arrival we could see whales in the distance. The suite had two balconies to the side with great views. Upon check-in we actually received very little information about Diamond benefits or any of the benefits within our huge corporate room block. We were told nothing about complimentary breakfast which is a HUGE benefit. As has been noted the Resort can be very expensive. Members of our group had resort "credit" to decide on dining options. This was not explained by the front desk. Everything was a learning curve. In my opinion the check-in process is a weak link. Thank goodness for FT. The "style" of their front desk is weak. Asking for bottled water was easy from some associates with others saying they had no idea where another associate could have gotten bottles of water. Some could easily give change while others had to go somewhere.

The suite was listed at 850 square feet. It seemed much larger. The suite was as pictured on the website but much nicer. The entry did have another half bathroom which was nice when people came up. In terms of comfort the seating areas were stiff and could have been more comfortable. The bedroom was a nice size but there were no drawers except the nightstand for clothes. We had stuff all over and had to tidy up when friends visited. Bath amenity is Malie which my wife buys on Oahu. That means it must be good and expensive since she was happy to see it. The closet was a good size. The weird thing is the shower which made little practical sense. Each side was open so water would splash to the wood rolling doors or out onto the tile. The tub was nice but most thought for decoration only.

I probably saw almost every different type of room including a villa which one of our people had. The suites on 1 with the shared pool were marginal with very little natural light. It is near the adult pool which seemed to be the only benefit. The regular rooms were of decent size but there was a ongoing complaint about "small" size. The villa was nice with of course lots of space. We had a large hosted party with the Andaz engineer never getting the music to work. Getting to the villa was hit and miss for people. Not easily accessed. Without doubt we had the nicest overall space of our group.

The place is pricey. We had multiple meals at every venue. Our most consistent best meals were in the Ka'ana Kitchen. We had a hosted tapas dinner one night which was exceptional. Without doubt the best meal of our six dinners. Morimoto was ok for dinner and better for lunch but not exceptional in anyway. The Mokapu Market was a great resource. We enjoyed endless lemonade from the front desk. There was a good supply of local papers, WSJ and NYT.

In terms of service that was initially a learning curve as stated. We had specific requests for changing linen and towels which was hit and miss to begin. After the Resort got it down was great. We came back into our suite and there was a box case of water refilled every day.

We found service very attentive but not consistent. You better be a pleasant person to work at the Andaz. A couple staff members seemed to think the blank looked face would do. You just wait and find someone else or a staff member you know.

Valet parking was very good and quick. I don't enjoy paying $30 per day for anything but well worth it.

The Resort does provide local transport which was well used by golfers in our group. Many of us had cars so it made transport also easy. We did dine off property which was marginal.

As stated the Resort can be expensive. On check-out one of our guys had a two page bill which he showed many of us. We just all started laughing. What the heck were you doing seemed to prevail. He got some serious points. My bill was not correct. I had it corrected before leaving but my final bill had a wrong charge. Called the property when I returned with the agent assuring me it would be corrected and e-mail corrected copy. Never got the e-mail. We will see what hits the card.

The property is beautiful and exceptional in every way. The most consistent Resort with the highest quality of touches. Easily rivals any place we have been. Some things could have been better but we were all pleased with the stay. Will return without doubt. ;)

Ancien Maestro Mar 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Excellent review! I can only imagine myself looking out from the picture 'perfect' view windows and literally almost floating above the shores with panoramic ocean front views. Whales bouncing about in the distance.

That is why Wailea is considered the most beautiful place on earth. Especially when the sun is gleaming and whales are breaching, a perfect place for whales to mate.

It sounds perhaps you were upgraded to a nicer suite than the ASPO.

DaveInLA Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Heading back to mainland tomorrow. There was a whale breaching just off the property yesterday but I missed it. The staff tell me the last time whales were here before that was a week ago. It really is near the end of whale season here.

Also, we went to Grand Wailea's luau yesterday evening. GW is much larger and more luxurious in classical sense. Everybody kept on writing that the Andaz is "chic" and they weren't kidding. Definitely the hippest hotel I've been to. Like a Hotel Indigo but more high end. Good for younger couples.

rkh29 Mar 27, 2014 11:42 am

Diamond breakfast

Apparently diamond members qualify for 4 free breakfast buffets, what is available for 2 additional children, 7 & 2?

Ancien Maestro Mar 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by rkh29 (Post 22598852)
Apparently diamond members qualify for 4 free breakfast buffets, what is available for 2 additional children, 7 & 2?

Good question.

Even though we are a party of 4, we'll be having 2 Keikis ages 8 and 4 dine at each breakfast. Is there a kids section on the buffet? I suppose their kitchen could cook something made to order up.