FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

dlandz Feb 6, 2014 10:04 pm

if you signed up for the Endless Possibilities promotion then it is also 4 out of 5 eligible nights you need for your free 1-4 cat night or 5,000 points depending which you chose. I did the points+cash as it is a good value for the suite and the eligible nights

milemonkey Feb 7, 2014 9:26 am

Are the Partial Ocean View rooms in a specific wing or location? Which wing room numbers would be the most desirable?

Also, I am staying four nights. The first two are my Free nights from the Hyatt credit card. My second two nights are Ocean View booked through Ultimate Rewards.

Do you think I can get upgraded all nights to an Ocean View?

Any chance of an upgrade beyond that using points?

Mahalo

l etoile Feb 7, 2014 10:07 am

I've spent close to two weeks here now and keep finding surprises. The staff are great. It really has a welcoming homey feel. And my latest surprise is that the staff are empowered to do special things for guests. I had been enjoying conversation with my breakfast server several days and she surprised me with an additional amenity delivered to my room. It's the personal touches and connections that make this hotel so wonderful.

Mastermind Feb 7, 2014 1:48 pm

Used 2 free nights in January. I was upgraded to full oceanview on the 5th floor Akai Wing, great views.

Overall I was impressed and would rank it as one of the best hotels on any of the Islands. I have stayed at Fairmont Kea Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Hyatt Waikiki, Hyatt Maui, Grand Hyatt Kauai, St. Regis Princeville, and I would rank tied at the top with the Kea Lani. Its hard to beat the rooms at the Kea Lani. The Andaz service is better than the St. Regis IMO. And the St Regis already needs a major rehab i think. The views at the St. Regis are some of the best in the world though.

Pros:
New/Design
Service (turn down service, Beach/Pool boys set up towels, chairs, umbrellas, etc.)
Closer to ocean compared to other resorts in Hawaii/Wailea
BumBye (Pool) Food
More TV channels than other resorts
Complimentary 30 min canoe experience
Free Spa access for Gold Passport (Includes Steam Sauna, Hot tubs, Dry Sauna)
Free Shuttle Service localy

Cons:
I did not care for the Lehua Lounge PuPus menu. Similar to the onion rings, I paid $13 for 5 cheeseballs (Crispy Mozzarella)
The driveway into the complex is very underwhelming. Maybe it will look better when the plants grow in, but i feel like they could have hid the parking a little better.

DaveInLA Feb 12, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 22302409)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Can you see ocean from the from the p o Andaz Suites in the Akau/Akai tower?

C+P+DSU+qualifying night for the Diamond Challenge is the way to go. Suites aren't necessary but is certainly is nice. When in Wailea, its a definite plus to have a suite.

I've looked online and can't find anything directly comparing a regular room ("upgraded" due to Diamond, possibly to partial ocean view) to a suite. I'm talking square footage, layout... pics would be nice! On tripadvisor, all the decent photos I've seen are of suites. What about regular rooms?

sam_goh Feb 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22335559)
I've looked online and can't find anything directly comparing a regular room ("upgraded" due to Diamond, possibly to partial ocean view) to a suite. I'm talking square footage, layout... pics would be nice! On tripadvisor, all the decent photos I've seen are of suites. What about regular rooms?

The regular room, with 2 queens or 1 king, is setup slightly different. In the king, there's a very small sitting area, maybe about 10 feet or so to the Lanai, with the "half couch" that's not so comfortable. The 2 queen setup has no sitting area because the beds take up all the room.

Suites are quite a bit larger than regular rooms - this is one property that I think the upgrade is worth it. Not only is there a large sitting area, but also the bathroom facilities are much less cramped to me, not to mention the large shower area.

Why don't you take a look at the original concept/setup video? It has some of the room and suite layouts pictured. The suite size described in the video, 850 sq/ft, seems accurate to me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iFjXGnZRU). I still get psyched each time I watch that video. Although one thing has changed - not all suites are ocean view. There are clusters of suites in the middle of the wings, and end of the wings. Also suites on the ground floor. So be sure on what you book.

BTW here's a picture of the king room setup sitting area to the Lanai to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Please don't mind our luggage :)

http://darkhorizonguild.com/pull/hos...htone(HDR).jpg

peteropny Feb 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Apparently the property in on jetsetter - http://www.jetsetter.com/hotels/hawa...id=45842&ckey=

akp Feb 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 22354759)
Apparently the property in on jetsetter - http://www.jetsetter.com/hotels/hawa...id=45842&ckey=

Jetsetter rate includes daily breakfast for 2.

DaveInLA Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm

I booked 4 nights with P+C and DSU and Andaz has me for Partial Ocean View Suite. I've read pretty mixed things here. I've gathered that low floors = minimal view and that high floors = almost full ocean view. I called Andaz to see if they knew what floor I would be assigned to, and (of course) they said they don't have that info yet. I promised my wife we would get an Ocean View Suite... how bad will she feel if we get one with a view blocked by trees or buildings!

I see most people using DSU getting the Partial Ocean View suite. Has anybody gotten the full Ocean View suite?

milemonkey Feb 17, 2014 8:24 pm

As a Platinum checking in next week using two free Chase nights and two nights booked through Ultimate Rewards I would be happy with ANY suite. Any ideas how I can get one given it is our 25th anniversary?

lawyertalk Feb 18, 2014 2:18 am

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 22367821)
As a Platinum checking in next week using two free Chase nights and two nights booked through Ultimate Rewards I would be happy with ANY suite. Any ideas how I can get one given it is our 25th anniversary?

Try emailing the GM: [email protected]

m0hamed Feb 18, 2014 3:35 am

For my 25th anniversary I would PAY for the suite. But different strokes...

kokinos Feb 18, 2014 6:47 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 22369087)
For my 25th anniversary I would PAY for the suite. But different strokes...

+1

peteropny Feb 18, 2014 7:31 am

You can contact the property and ask what the cash upgrade fee would be.

Ancien Maestro Feb 18, 2014 10:40 am

If none of the above works, then at the front desk ask if you can get upgraded to a suite. Maybe the front desk will upgrade you because of the Anniversary or charge a special rate difference for last minute availability.

Perhaps phone HGP and see if there is an Eupgrade opportunity as well.