Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I love this hotel--I've stayed here many times--all rooms were redone not long ago. Very convenient to theatres--Chinatown--Faneuil Hall--Boston Commons---Copley Square---shopping--- and two subway stops. ^
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:44 pm

I stayed in this hotel several times, most recently February, 2006. As a Diamond member, I was upgraded a Lafayette corner suite each time, without asking for it. The hotel is in a fabulous location, in a neighborhood that used to be called the combat zone, but has since been gentrified. There is a Ritz Carlton there, the paramount theater, easy access to the financial district, downtown crossing, Boston Common/Public Gardens, and the backbay shopping area of Newbury/Boylston street is only a short walk, as is faneuil hall/Quincy Market albeit in the other direction. The hotel was decent, the gym/healthclub/pool was very nice, although a bit of a walk to get there (although I suppose I shouldn't be complaining about a long walk if I'm going to exercise). Breakfast in the morning was quite good, service was excellent. The Diamond amenity has some good choices at this hotel, I recommend the Ketel One and the caviar/smoked salmon. The soap dispensers on the shower wall was a bit low class, but otherwise the hotel was quite nice. The beds were especially comfy and the rooms I've had were always very quiet. I'd recommend this hotel. It's not the nicest Hyatt I've been to, but it certainly is not bad. A good solid business hotel. I'd go back again.
Old May 17, 2006, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs up Trip Report

I'm just back from the Hyatt Boston Financial Center; I booked 4 rooms, one of which was a corner room.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this hotel. The lobby was clean/modern ...as were the rooms. The rooms contained modern furnishings and very comfortable beds. The bathrooms were fine too. And while others here have complained about the dispenser in the shower, I had no issue with it. It looked and worked fine ...and if anything, I prefer that over the little bottles of shampoo/shower gel/conditioner. (All three were Neutrogena --I noticed the large jugs of product on the maid carts in the hall. There was a body lotion in a separate mini bottle branded "Portico.")

I paid a AAA Business Plan rate for 3 of the rooms; I booked the corner as a AAA Corner Room rate. The Business Plan rate included a continental breakfast... however, I guess I didn't look at the smallprint: apparently, that continental breakfast is limited to one person per room regardless of the number of guests/room. I mentioned to the Front Desk that I had assumed, albeit wrongly, that everyone would get breakfast --and without hesitate, they went ahead and issued breakfast vouchers for everyone. (The room rates varried from $159-$169 for three and $169-$269 for the corner.)

I had booked these rooms when I was a Diamond ...and I've since fallen from grace to Platinum. However, they recognized me as a Diamond and provided me with breakfast throughout the stay + offered a Diamond ammenity, unprompted. I selected the salmon/Kettle One sampler mentioned in here earlier: it was a few slices of smoked salmon, some assorted cheese (including a delicious soft garlic cheese), a little bit of caviar, and crackers; to drink, they provided ice, orange juice, cranbury juice, and two mini bottles of Ketle One's citrus-based vodka. The mini-bottles were an unusual size --roughly double what an airline would offer. The ammenity was sizeable enough to make drinks & offer snacks to all 8 people in the 4 rooms.

The hotel lobby restaurant offers a buffet breakfast (as well as regular menu service) 7 days/week --the menu doesn't change during the week, but the hours of operations do. I believe they served breakfast 6:30am-10:30am Monday-Saturday and 7am-10:30am on Sunday. Sunday was Mother's Day but they didn't do anything special. The cold buffet, which has usual cereal/fresh fruit/lox/cheese/breads/danish was $15; the hot buffet included french toast/pancakes/scrambled eggs/bacon/sausage for $20.

On the first morning, we asked if we could pay the difference of $5/head to "upgrade" to the hot breakfast. However, the server (and subsequent servers throughout our stay) said they'd honor our breakfast vouchers for the full breakfast. So considering the front desk extended breakfast to everyone and the restaurant upgraded it for free, that became a very nice and valuable perk to us during our stay.

This weekend flooding rains poured into Boston and impacted taxi availability. On some days, it'd only take a minute or two for a taxi to come by. However, on Sunday, the average wait was 40 minutes per taxi. (So if you were the 5th person in line, you were looking at a 200 minute wait to get one.) I'm sure the extraordinary rain was responsible for this, but I couldn't help to wonder if the out-of-the-way location of the Hyatt was one reason why taxis weren't around on a Sunday. On average, we allocated 30-40 minutes to wait for a taxi to come by the Hyatt from Friday - Tuesday.

Housekeeping was a bit slow. On one day, housekeeping completely no-showed in one of the rooms. On another day, housekeeping arrived at 8pm in one room ...even though the room was vacant since 8am. And on another day, housekeeping came in the evening only after a complaint call to the front desk. There was never any explanation of where housekeeping was or why they were late, but when they did come to clean they did a good job.

The folio at check-out was accurate ...and they were able to roll-up the charges of all 4 rooms into one bill for me in a blink of an eye at check-out. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and gracious at check-out, but after dropping $3.5k there for a 4-day rainy weekend, I suppose I'd expect nothing less

So overall, a very good Hyatt for a good price in the heart of Boston. It was clean, modern, comfortable and well kept. The service was quick & friendly (with the exception of the occaisional missing housekeeper) ...and they went out of their way to extend perks like breakfast & Diamond Ammenities even though they didn't really have to. I'd go back to this location if I wanted to return to Boston under less-rainy conditions
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Just booked a corner room here in december. Can anyone give me directions from the 'T' to the hotel entrance? Which 'T' exit should I use...and which way do I walk once on Street level.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Closest T is Downtown Crossing, unfortunately, directions are a bit harder to give (for me at least) because it depends so much on which exit you come up. Unfortunately, the hotel signage is not visible from any of the exits, you have to head down the correct street and then make a left.

I am sure someone can do better!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I have stayed at this hotel many times--I find that the Chinatown T stop is quite easy. Since there are T exits on boths sides of the street (Washington St.) it will depend on whether you take a right or a left. You want to head away from Chinatown toward Macy's department store and Faneuil Hall--just ask someone if not sure. You'll only have to walk 100/200 yards and you'll see the Hyatt sitting about one hundred yards on the right (Avenue de Lafayette). Nice hotel and convenient to theatres--shopping--Faneuil Hall--Boston Commons--Chinatown restaurants. Enjoy your stay.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:28 pm

Where are you coming from on the T? The prior posts gave fine directions once you get on the orange line - but if you are heading over from Logan than entails a bus ride, a change to the Blue line subway, and then a change to the orange line, and a walk.

The new silver line will take you from the airport terminal to south station - where you can walk to the Hyatt in about 10 minutes.

And if you are on the green line, the Boylston St. stop is about a 5 minute walk to the hotel.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Likely from South Station (Amtrak). Mrs. Royster747 will be with ... with her luggage ... not sure if she will want to walk...
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bear in mind that the silver line is a BUS. I find it hugely confusing and have never figured out how to ride it. It actually seems to have a stop almost around the corner from the Hyatt, but I think it is just for boarding.

From South Station, I'd say you should consider just grabbing a cab.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:40 pm

From South Station you would need to take the Red Line one stop to Washington. It is then a 5 minute walk to the hotel (down Washington to Avenue deLafeyette, then left, then hotel is on left).

However a taxi from South Station to the hotel should be about $5 with tip, and you won't need to lug your suitcases up and down the T stairs. I would go with the taxi or just walking from South Station.

Other option is to get off Amtrak at Back Bay Station and switch to the Orange Line, where you can follow the directions others have posted.

As for the Silver Line, it is actually two lines that have not been integrated. It is indeed a bus, but once the bus leaves Logan it goes underground in a dedicated busway and stops at the new convention center and Westin waterfront hotel, the federal courthouse area, and South Station. The other line is an above ground bus that does stop near the Hyatt but will not help you out on your route.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I just checked into this property this morning and my room has NO soap dispenser in the shower :-).
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:41 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Using the final FFN at this property this weekend (for a quick 1 night get-a-way).

Anyway info/advice on this property, room requests etc. ?
Just got back; Manager is Tim Obert --- we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite on the 22nd floor (actually, it is half of the 22nd floor) --- and they had a bottle of Champers and Chocolate Strawberries waiting in the Suite.

Very Impressive ^ ^

Took quite a few pictures of the suite, and the beautiful views; will post in the next day or so.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:58 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Presidential Suite

Originally Posted by derby44
Upgraded to the Presidential suite as a Platinum---how did you pull that off? That's terrific. I sure would like to experience the same some day.^
former Diamond anyway, I wrote a quick memo to the general manager which I sent via FAX the day before our stay. in the memo, I mention "..... We were hoping if there was any availability, you might be able to extend the courtesy of a suite upgrade or terrace room, so we can have a bit more private space to relax with friends after dinner. We have been a loyal gold passport member (both Platinum and Diamond), and we are looking forward to our upcoming visit this Saturday evening......" Upon check-in, they mentioned they were still preparing the room; but that we had been upgraded to the Presidential Suite. We said "no worries", and the great check-in person took our cell # and called us around 30 minutes later while out taking a walk. There was a bottle of Champagne with chocolate covered strawberries with a note from the manager in the room, upon our arrival. A great stay, and a great way to use our final FFN !

A few photos of the room and the views from the 22nd floor. In addition, there is a picture of a neat diagram of the room, which was in a closet in the pantry. They had 3 different diagrams for setting up the room for a screening, cocktail party or the "regular" arrangement. There were 2 older stereo systems, one which could broadcast sound to all of the rooms --- in addition there was also a bose wave system connected to an i-pod mini with a nice assortment of music. Hidden in the living room was a large (around 55") rear projection TV -- and also a very large screen that retracted electrically from the ceiling for presentations or screenings. The drapes were also operated by a remote switch on the wall; and there were many different switches to dim the lighting in the living spaces and dining room (from both the living room and pantry area)

My "guess" is that we got lucky --- and we chose the right night for our one night stay. Either way, I am going to send a note to the hotel about how much we enjoyed the upgrade !
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Corner room?

I've reserved a corner room. Is that anything special? The description seems to suggest I'll have "full" Portico bath products. The rate is a little higer than the Taj, so I'm afraid it will be a poor value. At the same time, I need a stay urgently to qualify for the stay twice promotion.

Last edited by HLS2002; Oct 30, 2007 at 9:30 am Reason: grammar correction
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
My Report on the HR Combat Zone

I spent Friday night at the hotel. Though I don't have any elite status with Gold Passport, the hotel upgraded me to a Lafayette Suite (xx01). It was a proper suite, with double doors separating the bedroom and living room. The views were not particularly impressive. The bed was comfortable. There was no trace of built-in soap and shampoo dispensers. They had regular Portico products.

Everybody at the hotel was nice. The property was fine, but not luxurious in any way. I probably won't return unless the rates are significantly better than the competition (or I need a stay to qualify for a GP promo). As I mentioned in my prior post, this room was more expensive that promotional rates at some luxury hotels in town. The new Inter-Continental was only slightly more expensive, and it was a much better hotel.

I was offered 1000 bonus points if I checked out by 11 -- and free breakfast for two if I checked out by 9. I chose the former naturally. I'm still waiting to see if this posts properly, together with my G3 1500 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.