Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think Logan cab fares are the highest in the United States. The hotel is only 3-4 miles from Logan, but with the ridiculously high extra charge the airport imposes (added to all the tunnel tolls for cabs), the cab fare could easily total $20 including tip by the time you get there.

Only ways to beat that are to take the T or the water taxi and then a cab. The hotel is right around the corner from a T station. I've forgotten which, but someone else will know!
I most often take the T..... the only downside is that you need to change lines. On a recent visit, I had more luggage than normal so I took one of the Boston Hotel Vans. Cost was $10.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:59 pm

taxis?

There are 4 of us arriving together. Does anyone know if the Bostons taxis are 4 can ride for the price of 1? $20 for four of us would be best.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by tinnub
Does anyone know if 4 can ride [in a Boston taxi]?
Most of the taxis are standard (large) passenger cars, and most drivers will let you sit 3 in the back, 1 in the front. However, there are also some larger, SUV-type cabs that can more easily accommodate 4 people.

At the airport cab stand, there is likely to be someone from MassPort (the agency that runs the airport and controls taxi access) hanging around. Ask that perosn to get you a larger cab.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:02 am

good place

I stayed there twice in the last month or so. No problems with noise at all. Of the dozen or so Hyatts I've visited so far this year, the staff at this hotel in Boston seemed to be trying the hardest. I definitely had the impression that someone has lit a fire under them. I'd certainly go back anytime.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Thanks for the update. I think I'll switch to the FS!

Hmm, let's see you were going to pay under $200/nt to stay at the Hyatt, but the noise issue is spurring you to pay over $400/nt at the FS? Certainly the FS is the finest hotel in Boston, and an excellent choice, but if the FS was in your budget to begin with, why weren't you booked there? Or if the Hyatt is reflective of your budget and you want to switch, why aren't you switching to something comparably priced?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't pay anything like $400+ at the FS Boston, my corp. rate is only about $100 a night more than the Hyatt. Most of the work I have to do on this trip is very close to the Hyatt so the FS location is somewhat less convenient.

Finally, while I like good hotels (and in fact stayed at the FS the last two times I was in Boston), I get treated very well by Hyatt. So, if the hotel is decent, I'd like to see what it's like now. It certainly wasn't a contender prior to the remodel.

Seems like the vote is currently 2 - 1 that the noise isn't a problem, so I might stick with it on this trip.

The FS wins easily over two other hotels I've used in Boston, the old RC and the Boston Harbor. I also was accidentally booked in the Marriott Long Wharf once. It's a non-starter and had the stay been for more than one night, I would have moved.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I stayed there three weeks ago and it was fine. I was on the 21st floor, in one of the "executive" rooms, and it had been renovated. The furniture was brand new and matched what was in the photos of what the new rooms were going to look like exactly, although the new duvet covers were not in my room. The furnishings in the room were very nice, and the beds were great! It was very quiet, with absolutely no construction noise, although we were there for a weekend stay so I'm not sure if they were actively working on renovations during the weekend or not. But we saw no real evidence of ongoing work, with the exception of what used to be the executive lounge on the 20th floor, which had no furniture and there looked to be a few pieces of construction equipment stashed in a corner.

At night the area around the hotel isn't real great, but it's not the worst in Boston by any means. And it's in a perfect location for access to the T, Common, Public Garden, shopping, and most of downtown is within an easy walk. I'd definitely stay there again, as we were very pleased with the renovated room we were in.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:57 am
Suspended

Which Hyatt in Boston is the best?

I have an upcoming trip to Boston in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if any of you who have stayed at the various Hyatts in Boston/Cambridge recently had an opinion on the nicest Hyatt for a Diamond to stay at in Boston, ignoring price (since I'm using FFNs) and location (since I don't mind walking and using the subway and all 3 Hyatt's are equally convenient for the places I'm going).

I stayed at the Hyatt Financial District about a year ago and was very disappointed (lots of noise through paper thin walls and smoke wafting through the vents into our non-smoking room even after we changed rooms). From this thread, I gather that this property is being significantly improved, but construction will be ongoing during my trip. Therefore this trip I'm booked right now at the Cambridge Hyatt, but in past posts I've noticed complaints about the poor breakfast they provide Diamonds and in general the Cambridge Hyatt is generally ranked lower that the other 2 Hyatts by most travel sites.

I'd really appreciate any advice you all might have on which Hyatt in Boston you would stay if price and location didn't matter (so room quality, quietness, Diamond perks, etc. are all that matter).

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:45 pm

The Hyatt out by Logan isn't that convenient to the subway, you either have to take a shuttle bus ride, possibly two of them, or the water taxi which costs $10 each way+tip. It probably is too far to walk to the Blue Line stop near Logan.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed there about 2 weeks ago and wasn't very happy. Problems at checkin, long wait to talk to the concierge, noise through the walls, and those dreadful shampoo, etc. dispensers on the bathroom wall that remind me of a gym. For $100 more, I'd do the FS.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by oc2005
I have an upcoming trip to Boston in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if any of you who have stayed at the various Hyatts in Boston/Cambridge recently had an opinion on the nicest Hyatt for a Diamond to stay at in Boston, ignoring price (since I'm using FFNs) and location (since I don't mind walking and using the subway and all 3 Hyatt's are equally convenient for the places I'm going).
I believe that as a Diamond, you will get the full breakfast buffet at the Hyatt Regency Financial District. It's a very nice breakfast, and a nice perk. Personally, I like the location of this hotel - close to the Boston Commons, theaters, night clubs, chinatown (for a Dim Sum lunch) and downtown crossing.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Post More heads up

Greetings all,

Just to let everbody know with another update here that the renovation is going slowly but surely.
There is a very limited supply of renovated rooms available.
Based on availablity at the time of check in the good folks at Hyatt BFC are more then happy to oblige.
By all means go and request your preference in your reservation in advance and at check in if that matters to you.
I was equally happy in the original well maintained rooms too.
The new rooms are looking better no question.
The bed is a huge success because in addition to the new Grand Bed it has extra soft padding on top. The exceptional padding is in the non renovated rooms too.So not to worry. It makes for the comfort of your stay.
I would like to see all Hyatts with the Grand Bed get this treatment
It makes a huge difference in comfort IMO.The Grand Bed looks great but could use a big over the top boost from what the Hyatt BFC is doing.

The front desk team at the Hyatt BFC and the front office manager(experienced long time Hyatt fellow) really do care about our satisfaction. ^
I can't remember a more caring staff at a Hyatt in recent memory other then Grand Hyatt in Washington ,DC
I endorse the Boston property fully :-: :-: :-: despite the few bumps in the road we may ecounter as the renovation continues.
A welcome addition to choices in the Boston Downtown and Hyatt family of hotels.
Enjoy your stay.Thanks for the post.

FYI
A special note to Diamonds this is one of those very few properties where Hyatt allows their Diamond guests to opt for 500 extra bonus miles or 1000 GP points in instead of the regular welcome amenity options.
It is a great Dimaond benefit I look forward to seeing expanded systemwide in the coming future.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 21, 2005 at 4:05 pm
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:06 pm

Like Rickey's with new carpets...the remodeled Boston Financial Center Hyatt

I just checked in to this hotel, and was upgraded to what I was assured was one of only two newly remodeled Terrace Suites, which excepting the Presidential Suite, are supposed to be the best rooms in the hotel.

It appears that the remodeling was of furniture and carpets only. Evidentally, no rooms were enlarged, no bathrooms updated and -- except for the mandatory addition of high speed internet and "touch it and you bought it" minibars -- no electronics was added. This means there are no in-room safes, no flat panel TVs, no interesting shower heads, no plush towels, and so on.

The soap dispensers in the shower remain as a permanent feature in lieu of amenities (which can be requested, however) because, I was told, "that is what is required in a GREEN hotel."

Sadly, this hotel remains the perfect Priceline Hyatt, even if business conditions enable them to charge more. One of the most graceless remodelings I have seen in a long time.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:29 am

Yup. To FURTHER "save the environment," they will also only change your sheets and towels every three days unless you find the right placard and follow the appropriate procedure.

That also explains the flourescent lights in the fixtures, I guess.

Curious isn't it, how "saving the environment" always seems to imply "cutting costs for the hotel?"
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:13 pm

Agree ... Remodeling on the Cheap

After my stay in a remodeled room back in January, I wrote an e-mail to the GM expressing my disappointment with the remodel. (I had had high hopes for this hotel, as it is my "home away from home" -- i.e., my mattress-run hotel of choice -- since I live in Boston.) I was particularly aghast that the bathrooms had not been updated.

My criticisms touched upon one or two of the shortcomings the OP pointed out, and these were the GM's responses:

1. At a cost of $200,000, the installation of in-room safes has been put on hold for the moment, but they will be installed ... eventually.

2. The hotel is aware that the bathrooms need to be updated, but, again, there was not enough money for that during the current round of remodeling, so the bathrooms will be refurbished at some later date.

Not all of the furniture is new. The rooms I stayed in were furnished with armchairs and desk chairs salvaged from the previous decor, so they did not quite match the unattractive, cherry-like-laminate furniture used in the new decor. More importantly, the salvaged furniture is uncomfortable to sit in.

One thing I did find amusing about the remodel: the new hallway carpeting, the coloration and pattern of which to me looks like it was inspired by the poster art for "The Lion King."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.