FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old May 17, 2006, 8:34 pm
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs up Trip Report

I'm just back from the Hyatt Boston Financial Center; I booked 4 rooms, one of which was a corner room.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this hotel. The lobby was clean/modern ...as were the rooms. The rooms contained modern furnishings and very comfortable beds. The bathrooms were fine too. And while others here have complained about the dispenser in the shower, I had no issue with it. It looked and worked fine ...and if anything, I prefer that over the little bottles of shampoo/shower gel/conditioner. (All three were Neutrogena --I noticed the large jugs of product on the maid carts in the hall. There was a body lotion in a separate mini bottle branded "Portico.")

I paid a AAA Business Plan rate for 3 of the rooms; I booked the corner as a AAA Corner Room rate. The Business Plan rate included a continental breakfast... however, I guess I didn't look at the smallprint: apparently, that continental breakfast is limited to one person per room regardless of the number of guests/room. I mentioned to the Front Desk that I had assumed, albeit wrongly, that everyone would get breakfast --and without hesitate, they went ahead and issued breakfast vouchers for everyone. (The room rates varried from $159-$169 for three and $169-$269 for the corner.)

I had booked these rooms when I was a Diamond ...and I've since fallen from grace to Platinum. However, they recognized me as a Diamond and provided me with breakfast throughout the stay + offered a Diamond ammenity, unprompted. I selected the salmon/Kettle One sampler mentioned in here earlier: it was a few slices of smoked salmon, some assorted cheese (including a delicious soft garlic cheese), a little bit of caviar, and crackers; to drink, they provided ice, orange juice, cranbury juice, and two mini bottles of Ketle One's citrus-based vodka. The mini-bottles were an unusual size --roughly double what an airline would offer. The ammenity was sizeable enough to make drinks & offer snacks to all 8 people in the 4 rooms.

The hotel lobby restaurant offers a buffet breakfast (as well as regular menu service) 7 days/week --the menu doesn't change during the week, but the hours of operations do. I believe they served breakfast 6:30am-10:30am Monday-Saturday and 7am-10:30am on Sunday. Sunday was Mother's Day but they didn't do anything special. The cold buffet, which has usual cereal/fresh fruit/lox/cheese/breads/danish was $15; the hot buffet included french toast/pancakes/scrambled eggs/bacon/sausage for $20.

On the first morning, we asked if we could pay the difference of $5/head to "upgrade" to the hot breakfast. However, the server (and subsequent servers throughout our stay) said they'd honor our breakfast vouchers for the full breakfast. So considering the front desk extended breakfast to everyone and the restaurant upgraded it for free, that became a very nice and valuable perk to us during our stay.

This weekend flooding rains poured into Boston and impacted taxi availability. On some days, it'd only take a minute or two for a taxi to come by. However, on Sunday, the average wait was 40 minutes per taxi. (So if you were the 5th person in line, you were looking at a 200 minute wait to get one.) I'm sure the extraordinary rain was responsible for this, but I couldn't help to wonder if the out-of-the-way location of the Hyatt was one reason why taxis weren't around on a Sunday. On average, we allocated 30-40 minutes to wait for a taxi to come by the Hyatt from Friday - Tuesday.

Housekeeping was a bit slow. On one day, housekeeping completely no-showed in one of the rooms. On another day, housekeeping arrived at 8pm in one room ...even though the room was vacant since 8am. And on another day, housekeeping came in the evening only after a complaint call to the front desk. There was never any explanation of where housekeeping was or why they were late, but when they did come to clean they did a good job.

The folio at check-out was accurate ...and they were able to roll-up the charges of all 4 rooms into one bill for me in a blink of an eye at check-out. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and gracious at check-out, but after dropping $3.5k there for a 4-day rainy weekend, I suppose I'd expect nothing less

So overall, a very good Hyatt for a good price in the heart of Boston. It was clean, modern, comfortable and well kept. The service was quick & friendly (with the exception of the occaisional missing housekeeper) ...and they went out of their way to extend perks like breakfast & Diamond Ammenities even though they didn't really have to. I'd go back to this location if I wanted to return to Boston under less-rainy conditions