Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Saigon REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Saigon REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
As a regular at this place I have to say I am surprised they think it needs a refurb. If hotels in this state are needing refurbs then many places I have stayed in should probably be closed!
Couldn't agree more. Had my first stay here this past August and thought the place looked brand new.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:22 pm

I just booked my first stay. I can't wait.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
What needs refurb here? I'm at a loss to think of anything that wasn't wonderful during my stay?

And I think I've been to may of those "should probably be closed" hotels - ouch

As a regular at this place I have to say I am surprised they think it needs a refurb. If hotels in this state are needing refurbs then many places I have stayed in should probably be closed!.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Had another stay here last week and had the chance to have a quick chat with one of the management team. They agreed it may seem a little early for a refurb, which it certainly is, but they sid the owner wants to really up the ante with it and make it into one of the best hotels in the region.

They are revamping the pool area and including a new function area/suite there and also upgrading the Spa. They are also making some changes in the Park Lounge Bar near the Lobby. I did hear rumours a while ago that they were considering opening an ourdoor area there and they certainly have the room outside on the corner area facing Hai Ba Trung.

I still personally think its ridiculous bearing in mind the fabulous conditioned of the place, but it's not my hotel!.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is a guest expected to tip housekeeping here? If so, what is an appropriate amount per day?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by danger
Is a guest expected to tip housekeeping here? If so, what is an appropriate amount per day?
I tip 5 to 10 US dollar equivalent per day in Thailand and other parts of southeast Asia. Perhaps more for excellent service or if staying in a large suite. This is probably more than necessary, but I think getting a nice tip can really brighten up someone's day. Housekeeping often work in pairs or even groups of three, so any tip will be divided.

Housekeeping staff are hardworking and often underappreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If I didn't know the property was about to undergo a major refurb I wouldn't think it needed it. But having stayed there and knowing about the refurb I can see how it might be perceived that way, particularly given its high price point. Nonetheless, I enjoyed my seven night stay and would happily return.

Arriving at the airport I approached some taxi counters for a fare to the hotel. The first price was VND330k, the second price was VND315 and the third was VND220 which I took. Despite the taxi counter lady writing the hotel name and address on the receipt and me handing that to the driver, I still ended up at the Novotel! The journey took about 40 minutes and on arrival a porter asked what I paid. When I told him he indicated I'd been overcharged. Travelling back to the airport I got a green and white metered taxi and paid just VND130k. But for the sake of about $3, no big deal.

Check-in took place in the room. The staff member apologised that they were unable to upgrade me due to no availability but said they would provide both the 1W and a food and drink amenity. I chose two local beers and a two Vietnamese rolls that were delivered shortly after arrival.

Maybe it's the French colonial style but I didn't care too much for the décor. Despite that it was still a very well appointed room that I enjoyed spending time in. All the toiletries (which were numerous and of decent quality) were replenished twice daily and, just like every other five stay hotel that pretends its environmental conscience but isn't, my towels were also changed twice a day. Housekeeping was impeccable, the maid going so far as to tidy my clutter and straighten out the things I had on the desk.

Perhaps because I was staying over Christmas I received a small fruitcake delivered to the room. On about day two or three I also received a jar of cookies with a note from the sous chef acknowledging that I was staying "for a few days". There was also a fruit basket replenished daily and ample complimentary water.

I had room service one night and it was delivered promptly. The gentleman who delivered it bowed profusely as he backed out of the door. I agree the staff are excellent but on a couple of occasions I found their eagerness a little bit much. At breakfast, for example, they would politely interrupt and say "Excuse me, sir. May I take your plate?" Wonderful manners and great service, too be sure, but having that three or four times at breakfast got a bit much.

Speaking of breakfast, a great spread. The cooked to order items are quickly delivered and, although on the small side, are very nice.

I had drinks in the cocktail bar off the lobby on three nights and thoroughly enjoyed the Saigontini. All food and drink is 50% off between 5pm and 8pm meaning a decent cocktail is just $10.

I made use of the laundry service one day and my underwear was returned neatly folded as if it was straight out of the packet and presented in a nice basket with some kind of linen cloth and in its own cloth-type bag.

Wifi was decent.

The pool area is a fantastic space with a number of chairs and beds. The landscaping, with lots of greenery, along with the waterfall and attentive staff, make it a great place to relax.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I tip 5 to 10 US dollar equivalent per day in Thailand and other parts of southeast Asia.
That's ridiculous and a clear lack of understanding of the local culture, certainly in Thailand and Vietnam. Or if it isn't then it's an even clearer case of completely ignoring it.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:17 pm

That's ridiculous and a clear lack of understanding of the local culture, certainly in Thailand and Vietnam. Or if it isn't then it's an even clearer case of completely ignoring it.
I don't think so, as I have always been advised by locals that tips are appreciated by housekeeping and other hotel staff such as porters, room service, waiters, etc. I understand it is not required, but choose to tip if service is good. Leaving five dollars for housekeeping or tipping a room service employee for beautifully setting the table and serving dinner is not at all unreasonable.

I should perhaps clarify that 5 to 10 dollars is what I tip per day in a suite, assuming twice daily housekeeping service. If staying in a room and not making many exacting requests, I would more likely leave 3 to 5 USD equivalent per day, depending on service quality.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
That's what I tip in the US; my experience in Vietnam and Thailand was that staff was quite pleased with a significantly lower amount.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Has anyone stayed at both the Sheraton and the Park Hyatt in HCMC?

I am Platinum in both programs (which is top tier at the Sheraton). If I want a suite at the Park Hyatt, as a Plat, I guess I'd have to book for the extra points. Also, no free breakfast as Plat at the PH.

Any thoughts?

PS My prior stay at the Sheraton HCMC was awesome, superb complimentary suite upgrade and fabulous lounge.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:00 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by beachfan
Has anyone stayed at both the Sheraton and the Park Hyatt in HCMC?

I am Platinum in both programs (which is top tier at the Sheraton). If I want a suite at the Park Hyatt, as a Plat, I guess I'd have to book for the extra points. Also, no free breakfast as Plat at the PH.

Any thoughts?

PS My prior stay at the Sheraton HCMC was awesome, superb complimentary suite upgrade and fabulous lounge.
I frequently stay at both of these properties. I am PLAT with SPG and Diamond with Hyatt. Both are nice properties but the Hyatt is significantly more luxurious, less crowded and has a more refined atmosphere than the Sheraton. The Sheraton is also showing its age. I still like the rooms and as a PLAT are always upgraded to a suite. I have also stayed at the "Towers" section of the Sheraton and was not overly impressed. Overall I think the Hyatt property is the best in Saigon. The breakfast is extraordinary. Once I even walked over to the Hyatt when staying at the Sheraton and paid for breakfast at the Hyatt.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Originally Posted by GB
I frequently stay at both of these properties. I am PLAT with SPG and Diamond with Hyatt. Both are nice properties but the Hyatt is significantly more luxurious, less crowded and has a more refined atmosphere than the Sheraton. The Sheraton is also showing its age. I still like the rooms and as a PLAT are always upgraded to a suite. I have also stayed at the "Towers" section of the Sheraton and was not overly impressed. Overall I think the Hyatt property is the best in Saigon. The breakfast is extraordinary. Once I even walked over to the Hyatt when staying at the Sheraton and paid for breakfast at the Hyatt.
+1

The Sheraton isn't even remotely on the same league as the Park Hyatt. Spent a week with my family there in December and it was a terrific experience. Particularly recommend lunch in the pool area.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:29 am

I recently had a less than stellar stay here.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I recently had a less than stellar stay here.
Can you elaborate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.