Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Saigon REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Saigon REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: United 1K; United 1MM; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
What do you think about the renovated rooms? I only saw a Picture on tripadvisor and found it disappointing. Seemed it lost some character.
Never saw the old rooms so cannot comment on whether any character was lost during the renovation. We thought the room was decent and were not disappointed. Very different from most Park Hyatts in Asia (Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Busan) in that it is a more traditional decor rather than minimalist/modern.

Level of service was great once we arrived. However, we tried arranging various tours and restaurant reservations with the concierge team prior to arriving and it was difficult and frustrating. The concierges' command of English language was lacking and there was a lot of confusion/miscommunication during the multiple email exchanges. Things were sorted out once we got there and everything worked out.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hattrick17
Level of service was great once we arrived. However, we tried arranging various tours and restaurant reservations with the concierge team prior to arriving and it was difficult and frustrating. The concierges' command of English language was lacking and there was a lot of confusion/miscommunication during the multiple email exchanges. Things were sorted out once we got there and everything worked out.
Pretty surprising for a Park Hyatt. I've usually found their concierges to be top notch!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I arrived today for what was meant to be a 3 night stay. I will leave in the morning.

The suite assigned to us stank of paint or varnish. Shoddy work in places and I am not willing to breath fumes of god knows what. My advice would be to stay away until all the renovations have been completed and them come back to what I am sure is a very special hotel.

We ended up downgrading to a deluxe room that are tiny although it has pool access which is nice. That said this room has the smallest bath I have seen in a luxury hotel. No longer than 3 feet at the most so any idea of soaking in a tub can be forgotten. The wooden shutters in the room are the only form of privacy, the issue is they don't close all the way and have warped. This means you can not block out the morning sun. A real fail for me. If you can't secure privacy in your own room that is a problem. Why did they not just hang curtains escapes me.

On the refurb in the rooms it appears they have kept a lot of the old furniture which makes a very odd aesthetic, old teak, white barrocke and gold bamboo. Hmmm. The carpets in the rooms are very opulent, I don't get though the parrot embossed hallway carpets. Very odd.

On a positive side I liked the s class pick up. A nice treat and seamless. The lobby is stunning and gives a feeling of luxury. The pool is a haven in a city and is a good size. The Italian restaurant serves delicious food and is great value. Just the rooms are not up to standard I would expect.

I am overly excited to leave which is not how I should feel. Lucky I could move my flights forward by 2 days. I have never left a vacation early but if I stay here i will become irritated by the lack of attention to detail.

This hotel needs to get on top of its quality control and be reminded of what PH is about. The flair and setting is amazing yet attention to detail and making things special fail to excite me.

A great shame.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by dewby
I arrived today for what was meant to be a 3 night stay. I will leave in the morning.

The suite assigned to us stank of paint or varnish. Shoddy work in places and I am not willing to breath fumes of god knows what. My advice would be to stay away until all the renovations have been completed and them come back to what I am sure is a very special hotel.

We ended up downgrading to a deluxe room that are tiny although it has pool access which is nice. That said this room has the smallest bath I have seen in a luxury hotel. No longer than 3 feet at the most so any idea of soaking in a tub can be forgotten. The wooden shutters in the room are the only form of privacy, the issue is they don't close all the way and have warped. This means you can not block out the morning sun. A real fail for me. If you can't secure privacy in your own room that is a problem. Why did they not just hang curtains escapes me.

On the refurb in the rooms it appears they have kept a lot of the old furniture which makes a very odd aesthetic, old teak, white barrocke and gold bamboo. Hmmm. The carpets in the rooms are very opulent, I don't get though the parrot embossed hallway carpets. Very odd.

On a positive side I liked the s class pick up. A nice treat and seamless. The lobby is stunning and gives a feeling of luxury. The pool is a haven in a city and is a good size. The Italian restaurant serves delicious food and is great value. Just the rooms are not up to standard I would expect.

I am overly excited to leave which is not how I should feel. Lucky I could move my flights forward by 2 days. I have never left a vacation early but if I stay here i will become irritated by the lack of attention to detail.

This hotel needs to get on top of its quality control and be reminded of what PH is about. The flair and setting is amazing yet attention to detail and making things special fail to excite me.

A great shame.

Very saddened to read this. We have a 7-night stay using a DSU in Feb, and have been really looking forward to our first visit to not only Vietnam, but SE Asia.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Feb is sometime off and I would like to think the suites are no longer smelling of paint at that point. I will post a few pics soon of the decor so people can make up their own minds.

This hotel has the potential to be special. It's just not right now.

I have just spent 3 weeks in Vietnam. I will put a TR together at some point which may help your travels.

I stayed at the Hyatt regency danang, great exec suite.
the intercontinental at sun peninsula, amazing beach villa with pool and club access
Intercontinental Nha trang exec suite with club
Finally here and I was hoping it would be the high point.

Flights were with Cathay in F and Vietnam airlines in c.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you use a DSU or pay for a suite? Or will they end up refunding you the difference for the suite vs. deluxe room?

Am guessing there were no better suites available. That's a shame you have to walk and go home over PH Saigon.

A great shame.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 18, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:36 pm

Air quality

The same air quality issues happened during the Grand Hyatt Bangkok renovation - overpowering chemical smells. I don't know if heat and humidity exacerbate things. New room smell is far from enjoyable as new car smell. I realize there are pressures to open newly renovated rooms but this isn't acceptable for any level property.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

While I can appreciate that you were disappointed with your stay at this individual hotel, I find it odd that you would truncate your stay in Saigon just because of it, instead of moving to another hotel. To each their own, I suppose.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
While I can appreciate that you were disappointed with your stay at this individual hotel, I find it odd that you would truncate your stay in Saigon just because of it, instead of moving to another hotel. To each their own, I suppose.
For the last 2 nights of a 3-week vacation in the country we would have done the same. If we absolutely could not stand to stay in the hotel, I'm sure we'd rather just go home rather than bother to move to another hotel.

If it were the last 2 nights of a 1-week stay I would feel differently.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:15 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I think the last few days of our vacation makes it easier to leave. The hotel was and is the reason though.

We had half a day yesterday and a whole day today so we have time to see some of HCM.

I was on a DSU applied stay. That will be refunded but was not offered until I brought it to the table. The DSU is apart of a well earned benefit for diamonds and I don't see why you should be treated different because you have applied one. If the hotel has that attitude it ha failed in my view.

I find the management a little slack too. More like a holiday inn (nothing wrong with them but not luxury) team who clearly are not working on the detail and refinement.

As I said in my first post. This is a nice hotel. The lobby gives you a wow feeling although a bit old school. The rooms though are not great. Even the suite bathrooms are small from my experience of PH or Hyatt in general. The bathroom in the regency in danang ( I agree not comparable for location) is bigger than the whole room here. The stink though is unbearable.

I have some time at the airport today so will do my best to upload some pics.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies.

I was on a DSU applied stay. That will be refunded but was not offered until I brought it to the table. The DSU is apart of a well earned benefit for diamonds and I don't see why you should be treated different because you have applied one. If the hotel has that attitude it ha failed in my view.

I find the management a little slack too. More like a holiday inn (nothing wrong with them but not luxury) team who clearly are not working on the detail and refinement.
You feel if you were a suite revenue guest then they would have worked harder on service recovery?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
You feel if you were a suite revenue guest then they would have worked harder on service recovery?
Indeed, if dewey felt or was made to feel any different from a regular guest because of a DSU, that would be unacceptable. Perhaps a message to the property GM or GP would be in order, if so.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:22 am

My rate and DSU was mentioned by the front Desk manager, so do i feel i was treated a little different because of being on a DSU yes!!. For me the issue was that my suite stank so could not stay there. I then decided to leave Sgn early. yes i could have gone to another hotel but to un pack and pack again for 2 days after a 3 week break just did not seem the sensible thing to do.

No compensation or sincere apology. just loads of excuses. poor management in my opinion. I will take the issue up with GP direct.

now to upload some pics
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:41 am

The huge bath

horrid matching chair and writing desk

Matching furniture

broken shutters that kept opening. the only form of privacy in pool level room

the view from the front of the hotel

luxury bath products

Dirty entrance to room areas. renovations and strong smell of paint

The impressive lobby is not the full story

Final comment. chatted to the Front desk manager who is the most incompetent person i have ever come across. His comment were as follows:

One of your shutters work, whats the problem? errr privacy if i need it???

yes the bath is small but i never use a bath so i don't expect my guests do either. well i like a soak from time to time.

we are used to the smell whats the problem. hmmm its unhealthy

i look forward to welcoming you back- The funniest comment i have heard in weeks.

Last edited by dewby; Jul 19, 2015 at 4:56 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:36 am

Thank you for the pictures. I would've walked away from this hotel too. Hard to judge from few of the photos, but it does feel like the rooms are not renovated properly. The combination of furniture looks bizarre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.