Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
That would be terrible. That bar and restaurant had some of the very best views in all of San Francisco. Is the restaurant closed now?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That would be terrible. That bar and restaurant had some of the very best views in all of San Francisco. Is the restaurant closed now?
Nope, both the restaurant and lounge are open, not sure of the closing date -
sometime in the spring (enjoy them while you can).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thanks for the report, Ace Scout. There will be curtain walls...

I'll miss the early mornings while still on east coast time, picking up coffee in the RC lounge, going up to the 36th, pulling one of the lounge chairs up to the window, feet on the sill, watching San Francisco and the bay awaken. Actually, anyone remember when the RC lounge was up there? I remember the RC breakfast over on one side, anyway - "my first time". For doing that, anyway.

And, JIMCHI, I agree. It compares well (without the props - fine by me) with the more well-known Top of the Mark and the Carnelian Room atop the BofA building. I date myself...

Is it a recent Hyatt theme to convert restaurant space with beautiful views to function space? Might be easier to rent the real estate with the fantastic views as a package, rather than selling it table by table. ...A topic deserving its own thread.

What's (to?) become of the 2nd floor restaurant with the glorious ceiling? Don't know if it's still there, because I never ate there (no criticism, just so many great SF options) ...just "showed it off" now and then .

Last edited by Firewind; Dec 6, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
While I agree the view is a loss, I found the cuisine at the restaurant, and even the drinks at the bar to be pretty subpar. I rarely ventured there except to use comp'ed F&B benefits when staying on package rates.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I thought the clam chowder was pretty good at the restaurant.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by kevino
I thought the clam chowder was pretty good at the restaurant.
Especially given that you're a local, I value that feedback. ;-)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by ainternational
While I agree the view is a loss, I found the cuisine at the restaurant, and even the drinks at the bar to be pretty subpar. I rarely ventured there except to use comp'ed F&B benefits when staying on package rates.
I can recommend the quite strong Mexican Coffee in the lounge (maybe the bartender was just being nice to my Niece), but $8.95 for a small scoop of ice cream in a ramekin seemed a bit much.

Once again, not many people would miss the cuisine or drinks, its the loss of the view to the North out to the bay and across at night from the lounge...
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
I think the reason many restaurants at the top of hotels are closing is security. Having people who have been drinking and partying for hours riding the elevators after midnight must be a major concern to hotel management.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aasjcflyer
I think the reason many restaurants at the top of hotels are closing is security. Having people who have been drinking and partying for hours riding the elevators after midnight must be a major concern to hotel management.
In what way, are they likely to drive the elevator improperly or crash into another elevator? Honestly doesn't seem very worrisome to me.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Diamond Confirmed Suite Upgrade?

Have a couple confirmed suite upgrades left and was thinking about using one for a friends birthday (have a couple friends over for drinks prior to a night on the town). I wanted to use it for a Saturday night but I was just wondering if anyone recently has used an upgrade and what type of room did they get.

I looked on the hotel website and the hospitality suite looks great but not sure if that is a possibility using the upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
I used the Diamond Suite upgrade in November and was given an Executive Suite.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by aasjcflyer
I really doubt that's the reason. Other hotels seem to manage rooftop restaurants/ bars very well.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
I was talking to people who work there. They said they make a lot more money off of meeting rooms than the restaurant and that is why they are making the switch.

When I ate at the restaurant the food was okay. But the service sucked. They bring out my meal without the appetizer that I ordered. I asked about it, and they go bring it out cold. Apparently, it was sitting in the kitchen for about 15 min but no one ever came to pick it up and bring it to the table.

I do like the lounge staff though. David and Johnny are both pretty good at helping everyone in the lounge.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by lswcih
I used the Diamond Suite upgrade in November and was given an Executive Suite.
I was there a couple weeks ago and used the upgrade and got the Executive Suite as well. It was quite a nice room compared to many of the hotel's Ive used the suite upgrades at.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Stopped in this weekend at the Grandviews Lounge - One of the workers mentioned they are moving the restaurant & lounge to the 2nd floor as part of their final phase of renovations, and turning the top floor into a banquet space. There are plans to perhaps still have access to a smaller top-floor public lounge eventually.

Anyone with more details, feel free to post!
Oh man, that's a bummer. I live in SF and I've gone there sometimes just for the views. The Westin St. Francis also uses their top-floor room as banquet space, so it's apparently a bit of a trend.

I still don't know why they didn't just make the Grandviews into a good restaurant. That place would be crowded all the time if the food were any good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.