Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We decided to head into SF last weekend, and had some friends join us. We were all Club level, and David was incredible. One night we brought our own wine in, and he was gracious enough to make us our own cheese platter. I am very pleased with how they updated the property, however it is too bad they closed the bar/lounge on the top floor.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
GH is better choice

Originally Posted by AndDee
Thanks - I think I'll go with the Grand Hyatt over the Hilton

Even though I am Diamond with Hilton, that hotel was last renovated in 2006 and I would be booking the highest room category anyways, so I'd just get free internet from the stay
Good choice, having stayed at both, GH is better choice for me.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
$70 million well spent

We spent a few nights here last week... and boy were we impressed. It really felt like a different hotel. The bar on the second floor (One Up?) is a great concept, even though we missed the views from the old bar and restaurant on the top floor (which now appears to be event space sadly).

Last time our suite was tired and had a murphy bed, this time around that space had been turned into a nice living room and it really felt like a suite.

Elite recognition was great. Now if we could only get a Park Hyatt in San Francisco again.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Checked in last night, used a diamond suite upgrade and got the expected executive suite on the 29th floor.

New notes from this stay. Apparently wifi (at least the basic which is pretty fast with 4.75 Mbps both down & up) is now free for all guests with the @ Grand Hyatt Free WiFi connection. Since I believe this is a corporate owned property, perhaps they are experimenting with rolling out free wifi for all guests? A/C is working hard when coping with direct sunlight.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
While in general I like this hotel, there is one thing I really dislike about it. With the renovation, they installed glass in the bathroom doors. While they are opaque, nevertheless, at night when one person goes to the bathroom and turns on the very bright bathroom light, it lights up the entire bedroom even with the bathroom door closed. My partner said she thought I left the door open, and it disturbed her. Some interior decorator thought this was a great idea, but it it is style over practicality. They need to put a dimmer on the light, or better yet, put some kind of rollable shade over the door glass.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by HookEm
While in general I like this hotel, there is one thing I really dislike about it. With the renovation, they installed glass in the bathroom doors. While they are opaque, nevertheless, at night when one person goes to the bathroom and turns on the very bright bathroom light, it lights up the entire bedroom even with the bathroom door closed. My partner said she thought I left the door open, and it disturbed her. Some interior decorator thought this was a great idea, but it it is style over practicality. They need to put a dimmer on the light, or better yet, put some kind of rollable shade over the door glass.
I wish they would have fixed the sliding glass door/window.... I was there earlier in the week on the 34th floor - my room had massive wind noise, so much so I had to call facilities. In the end they ducttaped the window to limit the noise (not my favorite fix, but was easy and worked)... Ive had this issue in a number of other rooms over the past year or two.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would agree with the sliding glass door - if I wasn't in an Executive with 2 Baths - my partner getting up early and using the bathroom would have bothered me.

I just wanted to give a shout out to David and Danny, the evening GC hosts, they were extremely friendly and ready to help always.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by HookEm
Yes, this was poor design I wish they would correct. But everything else is just great.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Just checked out today, and in general liked the new design and renovations. I agree with the concerns about the sliding door and light from the bathroom. I also miss the views from the old restaurant & bar ... the new one looks nice but lacks pizzazz IMO.

My main complaint was the heat. Tried 2 different rooms but the AC is just not up to the task. After midnight it was still roasting. I finally had to open the window - as wide as it would go - to let in some cool night air. Even then I couldn't get the room below 73.

The other concern is noise. Even on the top floors street noise is an issue. Earlier this month I stayed at another top SFO property with double paned windows that prevented the problem. Too bad GH SFO can't do the same.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We've been staying at this hotel several times a year for many years. I have found that the rooms facing east seem to have a noise problem (horns, fire engines) while those facing north, west, or south seem to be relatively quiet.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:23 am

We stayed for 3 nights from Wed May 29 until June 1. This was our first time in San Francisco and at a Grand Hyatt. I had gotten the Chase Visa card shortly before we left for Ireland in November because I wanted a chip and signature card to use there. Which worked wonderfully I must add.

I used our 2 free nights from the card because we aren't making plans to go any place fancier before they would expire in Dec 2013. My reservation was initially made for an ADA room, so at check-in they offered to put us in a standard room on the 3rd floor facing Union Square. I mentioned it was a special trip for us as it was our 10th wedding anniversary. Boom immediately upgraded to the 28th floor facing the bay.

Oh my god, my jaw dropped when I saw the evening light hit the bay looking out those windows! Totally amazing. Every morning and evening I spent a few minutes looking out. Slept soundly every night and never had any issues with noise. I did see that our floor was designated a quiet area after 9:00pm - but it felt like we were the only ones on the floor - as quiet as a tomb.

We really enjoyed our stay - everyone was very friendly every time we needed something. We also had a late supper at the OneUp and it was just OK for the price. We had a lot better and cheaper meals in the city.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs up

Ah, yes, the Grand Hyatt I know and love. And what a way to "meet" San Francisco...

I've never seen quiet floor signs, here or elsewhere. That's nice.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I have never had an noise issue at this hotel. I guess since I was born and raised in the city I got used to the wind and the sound of street cars... never got used to the fog I can't think of any other city that has such amazing views during sunset and sunrise. I lived on Twin Peaks for a few months and woke up every morning enjoying the sunrise over the bay... when the fog blanketed they city below the BofA, TransAmerica, Bridges and hills would peak out above the blanket of fog... the site was so amazing.

I'm so happy Hyatt renovated this hotel, but disappointed they moved the bar to the 2nd floor. On my last stay at this hotel 2 nights in a row in the bar... hookers, call girls or what ever you call them tried to solicit sex.. even asked if she could invite their friends I said no..

Originally Posted by technotica
We stayed for 3 nights from Wed May 29 until June 1. This was our first time in San Francisco and at a Grand Hyatt. I had gotten the Chase Visa card shortly before we left for Ireland in November because I wanted a chip and signature card to use there. Which worked wonderfully I must add.

I used our 2 free nights from the card because we aren't making plans to go any place fancier before they would expire in Dec 2013. My reservation was initially made for an ADA room, so at check-in they offered to put us in a standard room on the 3rd floor facing Union Square. I mentioned it was a special trip for us as it was our 10th wedding anniversary. Boom immediately upgraded to the 28th floor facing the bay.

Oh my god, my jaw dropped when I saw the evening light hit the bay looking out those windows! Totally amazing. Every morning and evening I spent a few minutes looking out. Slept soundly every night and never had any issues with noise. I did see that our floor was designated a quiet area after 9:00pm - but it felt like we were the only ones on the floor - as quiet as a tomb.

We really enjoyed our stay - everyone was very friendly every time we needed something. We also had a late supper at the OneUp and it was just OK for the price. We had a lot better and cheaper meals in the city.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I'm so happy Hyatt renovated this hotel, but disappointed they moved the bar to the 2nd floor. On my last stay at this hotel 2 nights in a row in the bar... hookers, call girls or what ever you call them tried to solicit sex.. even asked if she could invite their friends I said no..
I'm pretty surprised that a hotel like this would put up with women of the night floating about their bar area. Ive been to this hotel dozens of times and never seen this.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'm pretty surprised that a hotel like this would put up with women of the night floating about their bar area. Ive been to this hotel dozens of times and never seen this.
I agree. I have never seen this at this hotel in my past 6 stays.

I do wish the bar remained on the top floor. The 2nd floor bar just doesn't do it for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.