Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by poptarts
We are here this week and here is my review of the lounge.

The lounge was recently remodeled and it is gorgeous. The lounge is exquisitely decorated with a modern, warm,with very subtle sexy undertones.

We are staying here this week and I can attest that the lounge staff is friendly and welcoming. They clearly want you to enjoy your stay and offer their assistance the minute you look their way.

The lounge is portrayed as offering a continental breakfast with pastries, fruits, and beverages. Yet, there is much more than that. There is hot cereal (oatmeal), frittata with diced ham (may change daily?), assorted cheeses, along with bagels, toast and cold cereal.

Oh, and the gorgeous SF view from the 32nd floor! Breathtaking!

I cannot say it is THE best lounge but it is one of our favorites!
Thanks for the lounge review ^. I've enjoyed the club at the nearby HR but look to give this property a try.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mr27
Thanks for the lounge review ^. I've enjoyed the club at the nearby HR but look to give this property a try.
The food at the HR is significantly better and has significantly more selection. The GH is more standard appetizer fair vs more "meal" at the HR. The service at the GH is better in the regency club - it has one of the friendliest staff members that Ive ever met. For some reason I can't remember his name, but he's very good at recognizing repeat customers.

Edit: On this note - does anyone know the ETA on when the bar/restaurant will open up here?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by austin_modern
For some reason I can't remember his name, but he's very good at recognizing repeat customers.
His name is David.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:31 pm

Wink

I hope I'm not making a nuisance rabbit trail worse here, but....

I was just in Niagara Falls this past weekend with my family. While there, we stayed for two nights in a downtown hotel, where I hacked the shower. I learned about this practice here: http://mises.org/daily/2007.

After reading that article, I was, as they say, psyched. I was a zealous follower right from the get go. Shortly thereafter, I took my family to a campground in northern Ontario, where I was quite unhappy with the shower. Having read the above article, I knew what I needed to do. I went to the local hardware store and bought a new shower wand, from which I removed certain factory-installed contaminants. I then removed the existing shower wand and installed my own. I switched the old one back at the end of the stay, and happily took my modification home.

Concerning the trip to Niagara Falls, one thing I regret is the damage I left on the fixture from my channel locks. The fastener was not a hexagonal fitting, as usual. It was round, with a slot on each side. After some googling it seems this fitting is intended for a pedal wrench.

My Google search provided this: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=152567.

I didn't measure the fitting at the hotel, so I don't know what size to buy, but I think this is the right tool to use. The last thing I want to do is damage someone else's property. For that reason I would also like to buy a pair of channel locks with nylon grips where the metal teeth are on normal ones. I have no idea where to find such a tool.

Removing the flow restrictors from the shower head at Niagara Falls made a huge difference. I thought of putting them back before leaving, but I didn't want to cause any more damage to the fitting, so I just put them in my toiletry bag. I'm always careful not to leave evidence of my activity behind in the hotel room, which includes the garbage. Getting caught, confronted, or charged a 'maintainance fee' is not acceptable. By leaving the restrictors out, I also left the next guest with a nice shower. I think it will be a while before hotel management figures it out.

I have a $7 shower head to switch when I rent a hotel, but my concern is that my modification might be seen by the room maid, and she would probably report it to management. By removing the flow restrictors (the shower head in Niagara Falls had two), and replacing the shower head, I prevent that from happening.

I hope my experience is enlightening to others who value a proper shower.

Happy travelling!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Diamond suite upgrade since renovation?

Hi all, has anyone used a Diamond Suite Upgrade at this hotel recently? How is the quality of the entry level suite compared to the best non-suite rooms as far as view, amenities, etc.?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Platinum treatment

Would a Platinum have a better chance for a room u/g here or at the HR SF? This would be over the Labor Day weekend.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mattolo
Hi all, has anyone used a Diamond Suite Upgrade at this hotel recently? How is the quality of the entry level suite compared to the best non-suite rooms as far as view, amenities, etc.?

I think the extra room is well worth it at the Grad Hyatt. Ive stayed in them multiple times. theres a nice little living room area along with a 2nd bathroom and seating space for working. Its well worth the upgrade. the suite is like 2x the size of a normal room. I think its well worth it.

As for the views - I think most of the views are pretty good at the high floors of the hotel. Not sure what you're looking for with amenities....
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by philemer
Would a Platinum have a better chance for a room u/g here or at the HR SF? This would be over the Labor Day weekend.
I'm not sure about the upgrade chances but IMO even a standard room on a high floor at the GH is better than any room at the Hyatt Regency. I would guess that the upgrade chances that weekend would be very good as there obviously won't be a lot of business travelers there then.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was really disappointed with the two day stay I had recently......

As a Diamond I expected a little more than just a regular room with a very loud ice machine right next to it. When I went to the FD to complain about this they essentially told me to just accept this since they were full. No offer to move me to another room the next day or even an apology.

And although the RC looks nice the offerings, especially in the evening, failed to impress me.

Not an hotel I will be going back to anytime soon.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'll be staying here on Tuesday night. I got a great rate so I'm not expecting much. The rooms look nice on the website. Any chance of an upgrade for a diamond.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW1

As a Diamond I expected a little more than just a regular room with a very loud ice machine right next to it. When I went to the FD to complain about this they essentially told me to just accept this since they were full. No offer to move me to another room the next day or even an apology.

And although the RC looks nice the offerings, especially in the evening, failed to impress me.

+1

Watch out also re the GP points that get posted for the stay. A 4 night late July/early August stay of mine was significantly misposted, and required a call to Hyatt GP CS. There's apparently no penalty of any kind for a hotel to try underposting, even though it was immediately obvious to Hyatt GP CS when called to their attention. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1

As a Diamond, the place to stay in SF is the Hyatt Regency, better club lounge, nicer rooms with a balcony and also nice views...

The Grand SF never really impressed me
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I thought about the HR but the location of the GH swayed me.... I'll chose more wisely next time.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt dozens of times. Since the remodel of the rooms and the club about a year or so ago, I couldn't be more pleased. The Club floor rooms are beautifully done with hardwood floors, electronic shades and nicely done bathrooms.

I have also stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero many times and have found the rooms not nearly as nice. Many times I stayed in a suite there and was pleased but the standard bay view rooms did not meet my expectations, particularly with respect to lighting, amount of space, and particularly having the bathroom sink and vanity right in the room rather than as part of the bathroom. Evening offerings in the Clubs at both hotels are very nice, as are the views. The one at the HR is considerably larger and may have a slight edge over the GH so far as the variety.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I stayed at HR and GH both in past two months, they were same in terms of quality of rooms and i received an upgrade both times as a diamond. The concierge level on GH is better than HR. So both properties are nice as long as you do not get a bad location next to elevator or vending machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.