Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Multiple reviews on Tripadvisor complain about rooms at the Downtown Hotel (not the Hyatt Regency, to be clear) having no windows.

It's perfectly fair that multiple hotels in Mexico City lack windows if they're located in historic buildings which are shorter than the buildings around them and can't have windows added.

However, most travelers who haven't been to Mexico City will be shocked by this, since it's almost unheard-of for rooms in internationally branded hotels to have no windows.

Based on the number of complaints on Tripadvisor, the Downtown Hotel might want to start acknowledging this clearly in their advertising, instead of using photos of the handful of rooms that face the street, and therefore have windows.
I agree, but windowless rooms ain't that bad. I use to stay in Chinese hotels and they have windowless rooms. I didn't mind, but I guess everyone is different.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
This is my first time in Mexico City. I'm looking for something close to a subway station and easily accessible from the airport. I'm also looking for good elite recognition. Is the HR my hotel?
The Metro isn't that far from the hotel, but the Metrobus is really close by. I would take the Metrobus to most places if you're just visiting tourist sites. The airport taxis can get you there or anywhere. They'll probably take one of the freeways straight to the hotel.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Multiple reviews on Tripadvisor complain about rooms at the Downtown Hotel (not the Hyatt Regency, to be clear) having no windows.

It's perfectly fair that multiple hotels in Mexico City lack windows if they're located in historic buildings which are shorter than the buildings around them and can't have windows added.

However, most travelers who haven't been to Mexico City will be shocked by this, since it's almost unheard-of for rooms in internationally branded hotels to have no windows.

Based on the number of complaints on Tripadvisor, the Downtown Hotel might want to start acknowledging this clearly in their advertising, instead of using photos of the handful of rooms that face the street, and therefore have windows.
Most of the hotels weren't originally hotels, that's why there's no windows. They built rooms in these buildings that had a common wall with no windows. Some of the buildings were old department stores and warehouses with open floors and no windows.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The Metro isn't that far from the hotel, but the Metrobus is really close by. I would take the Metrobus to most places if you're just visiting tourist sites. The airport taxis can get you there or anywhere. They'll probably take one of the freeways straight to the hotel.
I don't know what the Metrobus is. Can I take that from the airport? Do they accept credit cards? I haven't started my research yet, but I'm hoping to use only my credit cards on this trip. I hope I won't have to buy any pesos.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:34 am

I don't know what the Metrobus is. Can I take that from the airport? Do they accept credit cards? I haven't started my research yet, but I'm hoping to use only my credit cards on this trip. I hope I won't have to buy any pesos.
The metro bus is a bus that has its own lane. There's a Metro bus at the airport, but to get to Polanco you would have to transfer to another metro bus line.

The Mexico City transportation system is utilized by "metro cards". You buy one and have pesos loaded to it. You will need to go to the ATM to get pesos or currency exchange.

The transportation system consists of the metro, Metrobus, trolly buses, regular buses, citywide buses, cable cars and the bikes, which all use the metro card. However, the metro accepts individual tickets you can buy.

If you plan to eat or shop at local vendors especially street vendors, they do not accept credit cards, including many museums and cultural sites. And you'll need extra cash for tipping any taxis, tour guides, bellboys, housekeeping etc.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I hope I won't have to buy any pesos.
Unlike many other places in the world, you can get a pretty good rate on money exchange at the airport. There are dozens of exchange shops landside with very competitive rates, at least at the old terminal.

Generally speaking, I prefer to only carry around pesos and one credit card. That way if you get mugged it's no big deal. Many tour guides, etc. will also prefer to be paid in USD cash.

But if you really, really want to avoid cash and are willing to sacrifice doing whatever requires cash, then you can obviously do so in a big city like Mexico City.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:44 am

Here's a video of how the transportation system works:

lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:01 am

What is CDMX?
Can you be a bit more specific as to what the food spread is like in the lounge in the evening?
CDMX is Ciudad de Mexico (aka Mexico City)

The food when we were there in March was basically tiny nibbles of multiple varieties. They had a few very tasty wraps...but generally speaking nothing close to a dinner spread so don't expect that.

Re: your comment about the metro...you do need to adapt to take other forms of the transit besides just the subway if you want the most flexibility and efficiency. Google maps does a good job of laying out all the options. But the metro card needs to be loaded by cash and not credit...a bit archaic. If you must stick to card only then you'll want to get around via uber (which isn't actually a bad idea at all...very good value)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus

The food when we were there in March was basically tiny nibbles of multiple varieties. They had a few very tasty wraps...but generally speaking nothing close to a dinner spread so don't expect that.

Re: your comment about the metro...you do need to adapt to take other forms of the transit besides just the subway if you want the most flexibility and efficiency. Google maps does a good job of laying out all the options. But the metro card needs to be loaded by cash and not credit...a bit archaic. If you must stick to card only then you'll want to get around via uber (which isn't actually a bad idea at all...very good value)
I personally found the bus system and Google maps re: bus numbers and schedules super confusing on this last trip! Google told us to stand at a certain stop near Chapultepec and wait for the #88 (example, I don't remember the actual #) bus so we stood there for 20 minutes. There were many many buses that passed us, but none even stopped to drop people or see if we were waiting for them. The bus stop did not have any signage regarding which buses stopped there or maps of the system. Maybe it was Google being completely useless but it was a very frustrating experience. We continue walking down the street to the next bus stop (according to Google) and waited there but same thing. Eventually we just gave up and walked another mile to the nearest subway stop. We enjoy walking so that's not a problem but we were late to the food tour we booked.

I do love the subway system in Mexico City. It can get crowded and doesn't go everywhere but it's cheap (20 pesos go everywhere in the system) and very frequent. There's women and children only cars. My husband loves that each stop have a specific pictogram which is so clever. There's a lot of walking required if you're sticking to the subway system only so added to the touristy stuff we walked about 10 - 13 miles per day.

Coming from the airport get an official taxi for about 400 pesos or $20-25. They do take credit card but I agree you'll need some pesos for your trip. For transportation if you value convenience I agree Uber is great and we used to places outside of the subway system.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:50 am

"I personally found the bus system and Google maps re: bus numbers and schedules super confusing on this last trip! Google told us to stand at a certain stop near Chapultepec and wait for the #88 (example, I don't remember the actual #) bus so we stood there for 20 minutes. There were many many buses that passed us, but none even stopped to drop people or see if we were waiting for them. The bus stop did not have any signage regarding which buses stopped there or maps of the system. Maybe it was Google being completely useless but it was a very frustrating experience."

Some buses take an hour, especially in traffic.... depending on the bus/route. CDMX does not have route maps by bus stops, or even bus stops marked for every route. Many buses you have to wave at them to stop or they would end up stopping and wasting time at every bus stop they pass. One bus stop could have 15 buses on that route, so if they don't see anybody with their hand up they'll keep on rolling like they do in some other countries that are highly congested. The MetroBus goes places where the Metro doesn't go and is just as organized as the Metro. Those Metro Symbols were made for people who can't read.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Skramer86
I personally found the bus system and Google maps re: bus numbers and schedules super confusing on this last trip! Google told us to stand at a certain stop near Chapultepec and wait for the #88 (example, I don't remember the actual #) bus so we stood there for 20 minutes. There were many many buses that passed us, but none even stopped to drop people or see if we were waiting for them. The bus stop did not have any signage regarding which buses stopped there or maps of the system. Maybe it was Google being completely useless but it was a very frustrating experience. We continue walking down the street to the next bus stop (according to Google) and waited there but same thing. Eventually we just gave up and walked another mile to the nearest subway stop. We enjoy walking so that's not a problem but we were late to the food tour we booked. Didi is often a bit cheaper but from my experience the credit card payment doesn't work pretty often.

I do love the subway system in Mexico City. It can get crowded and doesn't go everywhere but it's cheap (20 pesos go everywhere in the system) and very frequent. There's women and children only cars. My husband loves that each stop have a specific pictogram which is so clever. There's a lot of walking required if you're sticking to the subway system only so added to the touristy stuff we walked about 10 - 13 miles per day.

Coming from the airport get an official taxi for about 400 pesos or $20-25. They do take credit card but I agree you'll need some pesos for your trip. For transportation if you value convenience I agree Uber is great and we used to places outside of the subway system.
Yeah, I experienced something similar. The limitations of google maps are that 1) you may not be able to track vehicles in real time if they aren't connected to google's system to do so and 2) having multiple stops/stations on the same block can lead to confusion. I've managed ok but it takes flexibility, staying aware, and looking for information at all the stops nearby. San Francisco was a similar issue when you can have two streetcar stops, two bus stops, the MUNI, and BART all with separate stations in the same block.

FYI the Metro is only 5 pesos per person to go anywhere, not 20. 20 already seems cheap, but yeah, it's 5. Was shockingly cheap to me! 6 pesos for buses.

Uber to/from airport (I did this 6ish times) was anywhere between 10USD and 25USD (for an XL) so it's typically noticeably cheaper than a taxi. Ubers are also tracked which offers a little extra security (or at least the feel of it)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The metro bus is a bus that has its own lane. There's a Metro bus at the airport, but to get to Polanco you would have to transfer to another metro bus line.

The Mexico City transportation system is utilized by "metro cards". You buy one and have pesos loaded to it. You will need to go to the ATM to get pesos or currency exchange.

The transportation system consists of the metro, Metrobus, trolly buses, regular buses, citywide buses, cable cars and the bikes, which all use the metro card. However, the metro accepts individual tickets you can buy.

If you plan to eat or shop at local vendors especially street vendors, they do not accept credit cards, including many museums and cultural sites. And you'll need extra cash for tipping any taxis, tour guides, bellboys, housekeeping etc.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unlike many other places in the world, you can get a pretty good rate on money exchange at the airport. There are dozens of exchange shops landside with very competitive rates, at least at the old terminal.

Generally speaking, I prefer to only carry around pesos and one credit card. That way if you get mugged it's no big deal. Many tour guides, etc. will also prefer to be paid in USD cash.

But if you really, really want to avoid cash and are willing to sacrifice doing whatever requires cash, then you can obviously do so in a big city like Mexico City.

How much is the transit card? I'm assuming I can only load it at the station and just tap to use it on the bus and subway? I'm guessing dumping all my pesos to a transit card is a good way to eliminate my cash upon leaving? When does the transit card expire if ever?

Originally Posted by Skramer86
I personally found the bus system and Google maps re: bus numbers and schedules super confusing on this last trip! Google told us to stand at a certain stop near Chapultepec and wait for the #88 (example, I don't remember the actual #) bus so we stood there for 20 minutes. There were many many buses that passed us, but none even stopped to drop people or see if we were waiting for them. The bus stop did not have any signage regarding which buses stopped there or maps of the system. Maybe it was Google being completely useless but it was a very frustrating experience. We continue walking down the street to the next bus stop (according to Google) and waited there but same thing. Eventually we just gave up and walked another mile to the nearest subway stop. We enjoy walking so that's not a problem but we were late to the food tour we booked.

"I personally found the bus system and Google maps re: bus numbers and schedules super confusing on this last trip! Google told us to stand at a certain stop near Chapultepec and wait for the #88 (example, I don't remember the actual #) bus so we stood there for 20 minutes. There were many many buses that passed us, but none even stopped to drop people or see if we were waiting for them. The bus stop did not have any signage regarding which buses stopped there or maps of the system. Maybe it was Google being completely useless but it was a very frustrating experience."

Some buses take an hour, especially in traffic.... depending on the bus/route. CDMX does not have route maps by bus stops, or even bus stops marked for every route. Many buses you have to wave at them to stop or they would end up stopping and wasting time at every bus stop they pass. One bus stop could have 15 buses on that route, so if they don't see anybody with their hand up they'll keep on rolling like they do in some other countries that are highly congested. The MetroBus goes places where the Metro doesn't go and is just as organized as the Metro. Those Metro Symbols were made for people who can't read.
Yeah, I experienced something similar. The limitations of google maps are that 1) you may not be able to track vehicles in real time if they aren't connected to google's system to do so and 2) having multiple stops/stations on the same block can lead to confusion. I've managed ok but it takes flexibility, staying aware, and looking for information at all the stops nearby. San Francisco was a similar issue when you can have two streetcar stops, two bus stops, the MUNI, and BART all with separate stations in the same block.

FYI the Metro is only 5 pesos per person to go anywhere, not 20. 20 already seems cheap, but yeah, it's 5. Was shockingly cheap to me! 6 pesos for buses.

Uber to/from airport (I did this 6ish times) was anywhere between 10USD and 25USD (for an XL) so it's typically noticeably cheaper than a taxi. Ubers are also tracked which offers a little extra security (or at least the feel of it)
​​​​​​​I feel like I generally have bad luck with buses, especially abroad. I don't know if I need a new phone or if this is just a limitation of current technology, but I find the compass to be very inaccurate and it takes a while for my phone to display the right direction after a period of time. It happened to me in Toronto and Singapore. I would walk a bit in one direction only for the Google Maps to suddenly tell me I'm going in the opposite direction. Sometimes the bus doesn't even show up at the time that's displayed on Google Maps. I lost patience while waiting for the Singapore bus. I decided to walk half a mile to the subway station rather than wait to maximize my time at the airport lounge. Fortunately, this was in the morning so it wasn't blazing hot yet.
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:27 pm

How much is the transit card? I'm assuming I can only load it at the station and just tap to use it on the bus and subway? I'm guessing dumping all my pesos to a transit card is a good way to eliminate my cash upon leaving? When does the transit card expire if ever?

I feel like I generally have bad luck with buses, especially abroad. I don't know if I need a new phone or if this is just a limitation of current technology, but I find the compass to be very inaccurate and it takes a while for my phone to display the right direction after a period of time. It happened to me in Toronto and Singapore. I would walk a bit in one direction only for the Google Maps to suddenly tell me I'm going in the opposite direction. Sometimes the bus doesn't even show up at the time that's displayed on Google Maps. I lost patience while waiting for the Singapore bus. I decided to walk half a mile to the subway station rather than wait to maximize my time at the airport lounge. Fortunately, this was in the morning so it wasn't blazing hot yet.
​​​​​​​
you might get better results in the Mexico travel forum rather than a hotel specific thread, and maybe even Google will be faster.
skj and craigthemif like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:07 am

Ah yes you're right! Only 5 pesos per person! Super cheap!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:18 pm

For my summer dates, I'm already looking at US$247/night. Surprisingly, the Hyatt app is showing the price in USD and not pesos.

What is CDMX?

Can you be a bit more specific as to what the food spread is like in the lounge in the evening?

Any reviews? I'm also a Globalist and want a decent Hyatt option for my first trip to Mexico City.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Too bad that hotel won't be ready until late 2022. I need something now.
I'll be visiting Mexico City for the first time this upcoming December. Going for my birthday, so want to make it special. I was hoping we could book Andaz, but it's still not open/available. Looking at either the Regency or Downtown hotel, or possibly one of the other SLH options such as Brick Hotel . Regency seems fine...but not exactly what I'd want to celebrate a special occasion. Any thoughts for a visit time visitor? Any updates on when the Andaz might be opening?

Last edited by sabester24; Jul 23, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.