Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I haven't heard of this one! Will check it out on my next trip to CDMX. Thanks for flagging it.
Beat has a regular function (like uber) and a Tesla option, so you'll have to be sure to select Tesla. I found the app to not function as well as uber or didi, but of course it is nice to have an additional option since they all use variable pricing.

Originally Posted by IggySD
There’s also a Metro stop just behind the hotel. That is also very inexpensive (25 cents) and can get you most anywhere you want to go, although you’ll probably have to transfer.
Metro is a good option as well...especially depending on the traffic conditions at the time. The 25 cents rate is just insane considering its usefulness. That said, when an uber is $2-5 and an uberblack is $10, hard to say no...
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Skramer86
I agree for first time visitors, staying in Centro is very convenient and you really get the "feel" of the city - the street food, the people, churros! LOL!

There's an El Moro location a ten minute walk from the Hyatt! Don't need to sacrifice churros if you stay in Polanco.

After 5 or so visits to Mexico City (and another coming up next week), we've found that all areas are nice. When we stay in Centro (love the Zocalo Cental Hotel) we still end up in Polanco for dinner or sightseeing a few times. And when we stay in Polanco we end up in Centro a few times. Ubers are inexpensive when compared with many other cities and we usually can time our rides to avoid some of the traffic.

We cannot get enough of CDMX and keep returning.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:54 am
Original Member

Just returned from a 7 night confirmed suite* stay at this property, and it was memorable. It was the obvious location for me, because some friends who recently retired to Mexico live 2 blocks from the hotel. Here is the good, the meh and the *ugly:

Good:
- the location for first-timers like me is great because of the proximity to the park and high-end bars and restaurants (that's our thing). I agree with others that you don't get the whole CDMX experience. Ubers from here are plentiful and cheap, about 1/3 the price of my Florida rides. Why would anyone take a bus/metro when a 15 minute trip is $3?
- the 40th floor Regency Club was 11/10. The breakfast and evening tapas layout was amazing, and the staff got to know us, bringing us our preferred beverages in the morning and cocktails/wines in the evening as soon as we arrived. They went above and beyond and were our favorite part of the hotel. And the view!
- the executive suite on the 42nd floor we got to enjoy for our final two nights (more later). Just massive, like a decent sized apartment.
- service was quick and mostly responsive, whether it be for additional bottles of water or ice. Wi-fi was screaming fast.
- the view is off-the-charts. I couldn't stop taking pictures at different times of the day as the light changed over the mountains and valley.
- the price: under $200 all-in per night

Meh:
- the technology didn't always work fully, like the too-complex lighting systems, the multi-head showers or the "smart" TVs, which never did anything for me, even though I had my bag of HDMI/USB/bluetooth tricks.
- the lobby had 6-12 concierges, desk staff and "hosts" around-the-clock, and sometimes walking through the lobby felt like being approached nonstop by mall kiosk employees.
- did not try any of the restaurants, they were outrageous by CDMX (or even US) pricing standards. We had some delicious (and cheaper) meals at the Four Seasons and other top-rated restaurants nearby.
- standard rooms are average. We got to experience two of those (more later). Fridges are small and full of minibar items, so you have to remove everything just to store a couple of personal items.
- if you do not get housekeeping for the day, even if you request no service, they will call you/phone message repeatedly to see if you still want it.

The Ugly:
- Do not under any circumstance accept Room 1012! It is the 5th and lowest floor for rooms and I believe the only Regency Suite on that level. 3 nights in, the bathroom drain backed up while we were out for the day and flooded the room. 5 employees worked for hours fixing and and cleaning up the room while we grabbed our things and evacuated to a standard room. They must have known about water streaming down to the lower floor, because my room phone had a message about a "water issue possibly coming from your room" but they never entered while we were gone to stop the problem.
- After assuring us that it was fixed, the still slightly-damp room did it the following night, returning to find the room with an awful smell and an even wetter mess. Another standard room, then moved to an executive suite. We "enjoyed" 4 different rooms on the property in 7 days. Two nights were comped by the very apologetic daytime manager, but the evening staff was not very proactive about the issue. A refund of the suite certificate was hinted at, but I'm not sure if it is something I should pursue after the fact, as I am still exhausted by the stay. However, I am getting very good at packing and unpacking our suitcases within minutes.

I would definitely stay here again (and plan to in a few months unless the new Andaz is ready), but would sleep under a tarp in Chapultepec Park before staying in Room 1012 again.

Last edited by Tino; Aug 16, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
That's why I always bring along a couple of contractor trash bags and regular trash bags. Takes up no extra space. Makes moving from room to room quite easy. Dump everything in it and pull it down the hallway to the elevator to the next room. And put everything back in the areas they came from.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That's why I always bring along a couple of contractor trash bags and regular trash bags. Takes up no extra space. Makes moving from room to room quite easy. Dump everything in it and pull it down the hallway to the elevator to the next room. And put everything back in the areas they came from.
That is a great idea, but I intentionally pay extra to stay in nicer properties so that I do not have to evacuate rooms due to failing infrastructure.
Kacee and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Tino
That is a great idea, but I intentionally pay extra to stay in nicer properties so that I do not have to evacuate rooms due to failing infrastructure.
I've never moved because of failing infrastructure. I've moved for many other reasons including in higher rated properties. Like when they find an upgrade the next day for you to move in. Or you have a neighbor that's loud or for a better view. I was in Cabo during a hurricane and even the most highly rated hotels had water damage. I know that didn't happen in Mexico City, but crap happens.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Apparently this hotel thinks it doesn’t need to honor WoH benefits or T&Cs. A standard suite was available for my two-night stay, but the front desk said it wasn’t available. Rather than escalate, I called the Glob line. The agent apparently reached out to the hotel multiple times and was told each time that they wouldn’t be upgrading me. After we agreed that this was a blatant violation of T&Cs, she offered to reach out to some support team or similar (not at the hotel) to see what else could be done, but our call got disconnected. Starting at square one again.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
Apparently this hotel thinks it doesn’t need to honor WoH benefits or T&Cs. A standard suite was available for my two-night stay, but the front desk said it wasn’t available. Rather than escalate, I called the Glob line. The agent apparently reached out to the hotel multiple times and was told each time that they wouldn’t be upgrading me. After we agreed that this was a blatant violation of T&Cs, she offered to reach out to some support team or similar (not at the hotel) to see what else could be done, but our call got disconnected.
I've stayed here three times this year and have had the same situation. Suites never available, no upgrade beyond being on a high floor. I never pursued any further though as they did seem pretty busy so I can't say for sure they are not honoring benefits.

I'll also throw up a warning about the food in the club lounge. Beyond it being not very inspiring, the warmers they use just don't keep it very warm and in all three stays I spent 'extra time' in the bathroom, although the service in the lounge is spectacular.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:52 pm
Original Member

I've got a weird follow-up to my stay at this property. I was on a cash rate booked through hyatt.com, but the Chase WOH CC is not recognizing my stay as a Hyatt expense for 4x point purposes. Chase customer service is going to "investigate it". Has this ever happened to anyone else?
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
This happened to me. For some reason, the hotel codes as a Holiday Inn rather than a Hyatt.

Chase promptly compensated me with the points I was owed. However, given this is a coding issue, I would expect it to be recurring for the foreseeable future.

I stayed here for a week in early August. I completely agree with Tino's "Good" in post 153. I'll echo that the service in the lounge was outstanding but we also had very good experiences with the lobby staff as well. The room I received using a suite upgrade was great with plenty of space and fantastic views. I would happily stay here again.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Interesting re: the Hyatt CC coding. We stayed here about a year ago and had the points code correctly without issue. Will be returning soon and can report back.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Interesting re: the Hyatt CC coding. We stayed here about a year ago and had the points code correctly without issue. Will be returning soon and can report back.
And, very odd since this property has been a Hyatt since 2012. I've experienced this with Chase several times at Thompson properties, but never a HR. It's surprising to me that Amex has never screwed up a Bonvoy coding for me with their sackful of brands, but Chase can't get the Hyatts right. Even better is when you call CS, and they want to argue that a property with a Hyatt webpage isn't a Hyatt.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
At a minimum, get a Uber comfort… minimal cost difference…

uberX may end up getting you a really small car.

or try BEAT Tesla for Mexico City. All Tesla fleet with Uber like service. Comparable to Uber black pricing if not cheaper at times.
Following up on this. BEAT is useless. Yesterday, it was impossible to find a car (Tesla or otherwise); today, every pickup is outside the service area--even in Polanco, Roma Norte, etc.

As they say, the best ability is availability. Looks like Uber is still winning here.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:41 pm

Following up on this. BEAT is useless. Yesterday, it was impossible to find a car (Tesla or otherwise); today, every pickup is outside the service area--even in Polanco, Roma Norte, etc.

As they say, the best ability is availability. Looks like Uber is still winning here.
It's a holiday week and a boatload of visitors are here for one thing. On a regular week all ride shares are basically available. And it depends on where you want to go and what time. Some drivers, no matter which company, unless they need the money wants to drive all the way across town on a Sunday morning and knowing they won't get back on the other side until later in the day. So they don't accept the request. Or some don't want to deal with traffic jams. But it's a holiday week and all forms of transportation will be overworked.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:15 am

My Hyatt CC charge ended up coding incorrectly for me as well. I called Chase, who created an escalation ticket to add the points. They let me know that the coding is on the merchant side, so something apparently needs to happen at the hotel to fix this. Perhaps World of Hyatt Concierge is able to flag this internally for followup?

As for the stay itself, this remains an excellent city hotel and we're glad we were able to return. Globalist breakfast is now sadly offered only in the lounge, where the selection is more limited than it is in the lobby restaurant.
TravisMT81 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.