Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
@rajuabju
I live in Mexico City and still haven't been to that Hyatt Regency. I'm actually at the Hyatt House for a few days, but sooner or later I'll check out the regency and at least one more new build that will be completed soon.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Finishing up another stay at the HR Mexico City. I think this is our 5th time here in the last 10-ish years. It continue to be (a) one of the most underrated/understated hotels in the Hyatt chain, and (b) one of the best uses of Cat1-4 certificates. I know its possible to get more "value" vs cash rates at other Cat4 hotels, but to me, this is just a great place to use them. I use combo of certs/points and cash for my stays (I always gets 2 rooms due to kids) and use Club Access awards. Some of the staff the in Club remember us now which is crazy to think about. Of course right now, breakfast is in the lobby, but its great IMO.

Cannot beat the location in Polanco. As much as I love Roma, Condesa and some other neighborhoods, we always prefer staying in Polanco.

The hotel itself... a business oriented hotel for sure, but its perfectly fine for the kids and they love that they "know" the hotel layout by now. Service is impeccable and never disappoints. Very well maintained, rooms are updated, clean, comfortable and upper floors (ie Regency floor) has some pretty incredible views. And we love the heated indoor pool.
Is the club lounge open for evening service or is it still order from special menu in the restaurant? If lounge is open, how is the evening spread?
Deciding between some CDMX choices for a trip coming up.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Club Lounge is open. There’s drinks available to order and a range of finger food/ snacks. There’s not plates designed as meal replacements a la Marriott.
myperks likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just finished up a six night stay here. Quite happy with how things went with only a few minor issues. Took a Sitio 300 taxi from the airport which is quick and easy. Attentive service on arrival was waiting for me at the hotel. I just paid for a normal king room (at a slightly higher rate to take advantage of the 2x points) but wasn't upgraded. In all fairness, for a six night stay I wasn't surprised and the hotel did seem very busy. They put me on the 38th floor though and of course club access included.

I visited the club most days for breakfast and evening happy hour and it was fine. Comfortable lounge with awesome views of the city. Breakfast was fair but lacking in variety... especially the watery, sloppy eggs. Geez... just throw some cheese or chives or SOMETHING on them to make them look a little more appetizing. Evening appetizers were ok... a bit sparse and they seemed slow at repleneshing when it was busy. The hot items were different every day... some were outstanding, some not so great. Service was very pleasant and attentive and while the lounge got quite busy at times, it never took long for them to get to you.

Room was cleaned daily, and was a bit small but comfortable..... lots of photos of the rooms already posted here so I won't bother with mine. Front desk called up a couple of times to make sure my stay was OK. Hotel charges 500 pesos for car back to the airport which is pretty steep, but it was certainly an upgrade from a typical taxi ride.

Not much more I can add. This is my third stay here. It's great being close to the park and Polanco is very nice, even if just a tad snooty. Certainly recommend the Hyatt and the only reason I'd stay somewhere else is if I needed to be in a different part of the city.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:14 am

Just finished a 3-nights stay here (and my friend stayed for 5 nights). I'm globalist and also gave her guest of honor benefits.

Both rooms booked on points (a mix of low and high dates 9k - 15k range). No standard suites available so we asked for park-view rooms. My husband and I were on 39th floor and my friend was on 36 - all club level rooms. Loung was on floor 40 and had beautiful park views.

Breakfast is now served in the lounge and as above said, the selection is just ok. Delicious and plenty of both cut fruit (melons, pineapple, papaya) and whole fuits you can take (pears, gauva, etc.). We went once around 9am and then around 7:30 - the area was too crowded by 9am and it was taking a long time to replenish some food. The main items I ate were sausage and green salsa chilaquiles (my favorite breakfast item to have in Mexico) which was very good. Other items like potatoes and eggs looked pretty sad.

Previously in Mexico City we stayed in Centro near the Zocalo. Although Polanco is a very nice neighborhood, in our opinion it's not nearly as convenient for sight-seeing (even with Chapultepec and Anthropology museum within walking distance). Even going to Condensa and Roma nearby took a long time. Next time we likely will stay at Downtown (Hyatt small luxury hotel category 4) which is in Centro above a building of fancy restaurants and shops (we actually ate at Azul Historic last time without realizing there was a hotel above). We'll see if that hotel is too noisy or not given it's right in the middle of everything.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Skramer86
Previously in Mexico City we stayed in Centro near the Zocalo. Although Polanco is a very nice neighborhood, in our opinion it's not nearly as convenient for sight-seeing (even with Chapultepec and Anthropology museum within walking distance). Even going to Condensa and Roma nearby took a long time. Next time we likely will stay at Downtown (Hyatt small luxury hotel category 4) which is in Centro above a building of fancy restaurants and shops (we actually ate at Azul Historic last time without realizing there was a hotel above). We'll see if that hotel is too noisy or not given it's right in the middle of everything.
If the new Andaz in Condesa is halfway decent, that will also be a nice option in a much more appealing (to me at least) location.
lsquare and Skramer86 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Just finished a 3-nights stay here (and my friend stayed for 5 nights). I'm globalist and also gave her guest of honor benefits.

Both rooms booked on points (a mix of low and high dates 9k - 15k range). No standard suites available so we asked for park-view rooms. My husband and I were on 39th floor and my friend was on 36 - all club level rooms. Loung was on floor 40 and had beautiful park views.

Breakfast is now served in the lounge and as above said, the selection is just ok. Delicious and plenty of both cut fruit (melons, pineapple, papaya) and whole fuits you can take (pears, gauva, etc.). We went once around 9am and then around 7:30 - the area was too crowded by 9am and it was taking a long time to replenish some food. The main items I ate were sausage and green salsa chilaquiles (my favorite breakfast item to have in Mexico) which was very good. Other items like potatoes and eggs looked pretty sad.

Just know that many older hotels in centro historico don't have windows unless you get an upgraded room I would pick the historic center over polanco, condesa/roma. Just my personal opinon. Everything is in the centro. Lots of people stay in Roma/Condesa to party and drink if that's your thing. That's where basically most tourists stay.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:05 am

I'm curious about that Downtown hotel too! Haven't seen many reviews but it looks nice online....
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Just know that many older hotels in centro historico don't have windows unless you get an upgraded room I would pick the historic center over polanco, condesa/roma. Just my personal opinon. Everything is in the centro. Lots of people stay in Roma/Condesa to party and drink if that's your thing. That's where basically most tourists stay.
Yes I actually was trying to figure out if the Downtown hotel rooms had windows or not! Haha we sneaked up there because I thought the bar would be open and the building and all the interior decors were super pretty, but it was super dark with the sky light closed even though it was around 6/7 pm and completely empty (maybe we were too early?). We walked aroun in the very dim area for a little bit and saw the rooms at least on that floor had doors that the top half opens like a window (think old west saloon doors that swing open) but I don't think those rooms we peeked in had windows to the outside! It was a bit odd but the location and the restaurants right downstairs honestly can't be beat! I think during the day they open the retractable sky light which is why the photos on the Hyatt website are so bright.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:44 pm

Double post deleted

Last edited by Skramer86; Jun 13, 2022 at 3:44 pm Reason: double-posted
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:09 pm

Yes I actually was trying to figure out if the Downtown hotel rooms had windows or not! Haha we sneaked up there because I thought the bar would be open and the building and all the interior decors were super pretty, but it was super dark with the sky light closed even though it was around 6/7 pm and completely empty (maybe we were too early?). We walked aroun in the very dim area for a little bit and saw the rooms at least on that floor had doors that the top half opens like a window (think old west saloon doors that swing open) but I don't think those rooms we peeked in had windows to the outside! It was a bit odd but the location and the restaurants right downstairs honestly can't be beat! I think during the day they open the retractable sky light which is why the photos on the Hyatt website are so bright.
Some of rooms will have windows. The rooms that face the courtyard and street. That's how buildings were built back then and also, many of the hotels were not hotels when they were first built. For instance the Gran Hotel was a department store, so of course all the rooms don't have windows at all. The Hilton Hampton Inn, Gran Hotel, Zocalo Central all have rooms with no windows, so you just have to book a room that has a window, or if you don't plan on being in your room much it shouldn't matter. But, I like windows especially at the Gran Hotel, because you can see and hear the opera singers outside on the strip.
Skramer86 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone know if the hotel has suites with two beds, and/or the option to connect a second standard room to a suite to create a two-bedroom suite?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
This is my first time in Mexico City. I'm looking for something close to a subway station and easily accessible from the airport. I'm also looking for good elite recognition. Is the HR my hotel?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's relatively easy to find cheap hotels in Mexico City. But you will find that the sub $100 hotels with a brand name are either in Santa Fe, are quite dated or are somewhere you wouldn't want to be walking around outside after dark. That may well work perfectly fine for whatever you need...

But if you want a really nice hotel in Polanco, $200 is the bottom end of the pricing range...
For my summer dates, I'm already looking at US$247/night. Surprisingly, the Hyatt app is showing the price in USD and not pesos.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by myperks
Is the club lounge open for evening service or is it still order from special menu in the restaurant? If lounge is open, how is the evening spread?
Deciding between some CDMX choices for a trip coming up.
What is CDMX?
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by kabroui
Just finished up a six night stay here. Quite happy with how things went with only a few minor issues. Took a Sitio 300 taxi from the airport which is quick and easy. Attentive service on arrival was waiting for me at the hotel. I just paid for a normal king room (at a slightly higher rate to take advantage of the 2x points) but wasn't upgraded. In all fairness, for a six night stay I wasn't surprised and the hotel did seem very busy. They put me on the 38th floor though and of course club access included.

I visited the club most days for breakfast and evening happy hour and it was fine. Comfortable lounge with awesome views of the city. Breakfast was fair but lacking in variety... especially the watery, sloppy eggs. Geez... just throw some cheese or chives or SOMETHING on them to make them look a little more appetizing. Evening appetizers were ok... a bit sparse and they seemed slow at repleneshing when it was busy. The hot items were different every day... some were outstanding, some not so great. Service was very pleasant and attentive and while the lounge got quite busy at times, it never took long for them to get to you.

Room was cleaned daily, and was a bit small but comfortable..... lots of photos of the rooms already posted here so I won't bother with mine. Front desk called up a couple of times to make sure my stay was OK. Hotel charges 500 pesos for car back to the airport which is pretty steep, but it was certainly an upgrade from a typical taxi ride.

Not much more I can add. This is my third stay here. It's great being close to the park and Polanco is very nice, even if just a tad snooty. Certainly recommend the Hyatt and the only reason I'd stay somewhere else is if I needed to be in a different part of the city.
Can you be a bit more specific as to what the food spread is like in the lounge in the evening?

Any reviews? I'm also a Globalist and want a decent Hyatt option for my first trip to Mexico City.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Kacee
If the new Andaz in Condesa is halfway decent, that will also be a nice option in a much more appealing (to me at least) location.
​​​​​​​Too bad that hotel won't be ready until late 2022. I need something now.

Last edited by lsquare; Jul 2, 2022 at 12:33 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Some of rooms will have windows. The rooms that face the courtyard and street. That's how buildings were built back then and also, many of the hotels were not hotels when they were first built. For instance the Gran Hotel was a department store, so of course all the rooms don't have windows at all. The Hilton Hampton Inn, Gran Hotel, Zocalo Central all have rooms with no windows, so you just have to book a room that has a window, or if you don't plan on being in your room much it shouldn't matter. But, I like windows especially at the Gran Hotel, because you can see and hear the opera singers outside on the strip.
Multiple reviews on Tripadvisor complain about rooms at the Downtown Hotel (not the Hyatt Regency, to be clear) having no windows.

It's perfectly fair that multiple hotels in Mexico City lack windows if they're located in historic buildings which are shorter than the buildings around them and can't have windows added.

However, most travelers who haven't been to Mexico City will be shocked by this, since it's almost unheard-of for rooms in internationally branded hotels to have no windows.

Based on the number of complaints on Tripadvisor, the Downtown Hotel might want to start acknowledging this clearly in their advertising, instead of using photos of the handful of rooms that face the street, and therefore have windows.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.