Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
In case you haven't noticed, the US$ is a much more stable currency. Especially with the current political climate, you never know what the value of the MXP will be.
Oh, I noticed... I wanted to take advantage, and disappointed rates are stable.

I just can't think of another foreign country (except maybe the PH Maldives) where they quote and charge in USD instead of the local currency.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's all about the target audience.... this way they make a lot extra.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by roder
Oh, I noticed... I wanted to take advantage, and disappointed rates are stable.

I just can't think of another foreign country (except maybe the PH Maldives) where they quote and charge in USD instead of the local currency.
It's not uncommon, in less stable (currency-wise) parts of the world. From recent experience for Hyatt, I can think of the HR and PH in Tanzania (both USD) and all the Istanbul hotels (EUR)... and I'd imagine also some of the Eastern European/central Asian hotels too.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Finishing up a 3 night stay here. This is my second time at the HR Mexico City, first time was probably 5 years ago.

Even though its a "business" hotel, I came with wife & 2 kids (4yr and 1yr) because my stay last time was so pleasant, and the location is A+ in Polanco.

Like last time, great hotel overall.

Although I believe there has been some kind of minor refresh to some rooms, its still a bit dated, as there are areas which need some repair & maintenance in the hallways, elevator lobbies, etc.

We were up in a Regency King room up on the 38th floor. Amazing views of the city. Our room looked like was in very good condition, newer furnishings, and comfortable although small for 4 people.

Regency Club continues to be outstanding, good selection of hot and cold items both for breakfast and at night. Service is also excellent at the RC, made us a few custom items (nothing crazy, stuff like hard boiled eggs, hot chocolate, etc) for the kids.

The Regency Club manager even gave me a complimentary 30 minute massage at the spa after seeing how exhausted I was taking care of the kids. Pretty damn awesome of him. Got to use the facilities and they were above average for what is definitely a business and not resort hotel.

As before, the location cant be beat. its right in the heart of Polanco, which is where we wanted to be. Easy walk to tons of outstanding restaurants, parks, and other attractions both for kids and adults.

We did drop by the JW Marriott just a few steps away, very impressive hotel and looks much newer. But still, for the price, I dont think the HR Mexico City can be beat, and we'll likely be back again in a few years.

Side note: For anyone wanting to try out one of the most outstanding restaurants in Mexico (and the world): Pujol. You will not be disappointed.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Can anyone who's stayed here recently confirm that diamonds/'globalists' (ugh) can choose restaurant or lounge for bfast?

Originally Posted by Katlor
Just stayed several days at the Hyatt Regency Mexico City, so I'll give a report.

Room: Checked in around 7 pm (as Hyatt Diamond) and was given a "park view" room on the 34th floor, which is about ten floors from the top floor. I wasn't initially very impressed with the room when I walked in-- the carpet was tattered in a few places and the room seemed small and sort of unusually designed for a Hyatt. However once I figured out that the room was decorated in a subtle Japanese style (the hotel used to be a Nikko, which is a Japanese brand) the room design started to make more sense (I would suggest that the rooms could use a small refresher of some of the fabrics just to make them seem less like an old hotel that has just been rebranded). The bathrooms, though small, are high quality with marble sink tops and a bathtub. The good thing about Japanese-designed hotel rooms is that they have better flow than American ones-- everything is in its place and is usually pretty good quality, without awkward corners or unnecessary frills.

Unfortunately when I went to shower I noticed there was lots of hair in the grout of the bathtub. It was too late to move, so I ended up switching to a new room the next day. The new room had a clean tub and the carpet was in better condition than the first room, but otherwise the new room was identical to the first one.

The bed was harder than an American bed, but that may be a thing in Mexico and not specific to this Hyatt.

Regency Club: The Regency Club has delicious food, attentive service, and good drink menu. The style of the lounge seems left over from the Nikko, so it's plain but functional and the windows have gorgeous views. Each night has a different culinary theme; I kind of wished they had just stuck with the Mexican theme because the Mexican food they served one night was amazing. The other nights' food was also good but not as great as the Mexican night.

Breakfast: Diamonds can eat downstairs in the restaurant or in the Club. I tried both; the downstairs buffet is a bit more extensive than the Club breakfast, and it's nice to sit down there in the nice atrium with the fancy new marble tables and chic couches. They don't tell you this at check-in, but I found out that the buffet price includes a ten percent tip for service. Breakfast charges were taken off my bill at checkout.

Transport: There are services just outside the baggage claim at the airport that will take you to the hotel for $15 USD. Very professional service. Uber from the hotel to the airport was only $7.

Location: The location next to the park is great. You can walk for a mile and back along the tree-covered avenue through the park. There are some good high-end smart-casual restaurants right across from the hotel. For more exciting nightlife you'd probably want to go to one of the nearby neighborhoods that has more in the way of bars.

Gym: The gym is great, better than a typical Hyatt Regency gym. There's a small pool under an atrium, with an outdoor area next to it. The gym has lots of machines and weights and looks out onto the pool. There's a sauna and steam room. I had a massage in the spa; it was a pretty good massage for a hotel spa, not the highest level of technique but was still good and relaxing. The massage room was very nice with good aromatherapy and a private shower/bathroom next to it for changing.

All in all it was a good stay. For a special occasion you'd probably want to try for a suite, since the regular rooms are pretty plain and businesslike.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Looking forward to staying here, I will report on Explorist fka Plat treatment
Old May 30, 2017, 5:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
I was only offered breakfast at the lounge, and they suggested I could use my Visa Luxury Hotels $25usd reservation credit in the restaurant for breakfast. Stayed at the beginning of May.

Originally Posted by mohan12
Can anyone who's stayed here recently confirm that diamonds/'globalists' (ugh) can choose restaurant or lounge for bfast?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed here a month ago - the rooms are nice and the location is great. Concierge was helpful in recommending a place up the street for a late dinner. There are plenty of good restaurants within a few blocks - will list on a Mexico thread. The breakfast spread downstairs was better than you'll find in most lounges and was included in my rate. Would definitely return.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Stayed here a month ago - the rooms are nice and the location is great. Concierge was helpful in recommending a place up the street for a late dinner. There are plenty of good restaurants within a few blocks - will list on a Mexico thread. The breakfast spread downstairs was better than you'll find in most lounges and was included in my rate. Would definitely return.
Did your Explorist status mean anything at the hotel? We have a 3-night stay coming up in a few weeks. An upgrade would be nice - although at this point I'm just happy that I scored the dinner Trifecta: reservations at Biko, Pujol, and Quintonil.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
Did your Explorist status mean anything at the hotel? We have a 3-night stay coming up in a few weeks. An upgrade would be nice - although at this point I'm just happy that I scored the dinner Trifecta: reservations at Biko, Pujol, and Quintonil.
You should get a nicer room/higher floor but if this is important I would email in advance and arrive early when you have more options. Would not expect a suite though my experience is limited.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Globalist at the HR Mexico City. The standard suites were sold out for some of our nights. (The club lounge agent graciously turned his computer screen and showed me the inventory spreadsheet. That was a first!)

They offered to "upgrade" us to a standard suite and then charge 100 USD for a further upgrade to an executive suite. This seemed like a fair deal.

We walked into the executive suite and realized we didn't really need to spend 100*5=500 USD on having that much space. So we downgraded to a regular club room and spent the money on a meal at Comedor Jacinta instead (well, a small fraction of the money).

Some notes on the differences between an Executive Suite and a Club King:
-Evian in lieu of Bonafont bottled water
-4 oz bath amenities in lieu of 2 oz
-hardwood floors in lieu of carpet
-newer finishes
-separated tub and shower facilities

The evening club offerings were more substantial than any I have seen in the United States. You could definitely turn it into a modest dinner, and many people were. My first time having apple soda!

We only ate in Polanco and club lounge and still got a tremendous case of traveler's dysentery. So you really shouldn't be eating lettuce/tomatoes/ice cubes/etc. Oops!

One thing made Mexico City a little easier to manage this time versus five years ago: UBER.

Local recommendations:
-Comedor Jacinta (bears repeating)
-El Bajio (standards)
-El Corazon del Cafe (hot drinks/pastries)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just got back from a stay over Labor Day Weekend.

The lounge was ok and food options were plentiful but nothing to prevent you from exploring the eats of the city.

Beverages in the lounger weren't self service which I found a little odd. You had to sit down at a table to order a drink whether it was a water, coffee, or cocktail.

Parking was not complimentary for Globalist.

The regency suite was very nice. It reminded me of the JW Marriott Downtown LA. Lots of taupe and cream colored decor.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Planning my 2nd stay here. Last stay was very nice.
Do they still let Globalist choose to have bf in restaurant or Lounge?
I remember the evening cocktail hour selections was way better than many US HR's.
Any one try the resident Japanese restaurant?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Just saw the announced plans to build a Park Hyatt cantilevered over this hotel's driveway/porte cochere. I can't imagine what kind of construction noise this hotel will suffer for the next four years if this project actually comes to pass. I could hear a street concert from the park from our club room on the 39th floor.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
MC Earthquake damage?

Booked a suite 5 months ago for 4 nights in February for a trip with the wife and our two young kids (< 6 months, 3 year old) in February.

To anyone who has traveled to this property recently, did the surrounding area sustain much earthquake damage? Just trying to figure out whether we should cancel the trip or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.