Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by sabester24
I'll be visiting Mexico City for the first time this upcoming December. Going for my birthday, so want to make it special. I was hoping we could book Andaz, but it's still not open/available. Looking at either the Regency or Downtown hotel, or possibly one of the other SLH options such as Brick Hotel . Regency seems fine...but not exactly what I'd want to celebrate a special occasion. Any thoughts for a visit time visitor? Any updates on when the Andaz might be opening?
The HR is a really good city hotel, though I wouldn't call it "special". Service and lounge are great, as is the Globalist happy hour. Standard suites are very good as well. We loved its proximity to Chapultepec, and it's a nice walk from Polanco to other areas.

Andaz discussion can be found in its thread. Sounds like "fall" is the current thinking.

No matter where you stay, you'll have a great time. CDMX is amazing.
EuropeanPete and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
The HR is a really good city hotel, though I wouldn't call it "special". Service and lounge are great, as is the Globalist happy hour. Standard suites are very good as well. We loved its proximity to Chapultepec, and it's a nice walk from Polanco to other areas.

Andaz discussion can be found in its thread. Sounds like "fall" is the current thinking.

No matter where you stay, you'll have a great time. CDMX is amazing.
Thanks. Yeah I'm using the HR as our fall back, and frankly would be better value at 9k points night, considering I'm footing the bill for the inlaws room. Who knows what category the Andaz will be? Just figured since it's a special occasion might want to splurge on a more "memorable" hotel experience.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
If I were you, I’d avoid Downtown at all costs. It has its fans, but between the windowless rooms, the noise and the improvised air conditioning, I’d just go elsewhere. I’ve stayed there twice and vowed to never go back.

The HR can feel special if you get a nice room on a high floor facing the park. It’s proximity to museums is a great plus and it has one of the best health clubs of any hotel I know in CDMX. It’s not the most luxurious and the service can be spotty, but it has a striking modernist design, great art in public areas and a good location.

Enjoy your trip, Mexico City is a very special place.
EuropeanPete and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
If I were you, I’d avoid Downtown at all costs. It has its fans, but between the windowless rooms, the noise and the improvised air conditioning, I’d just go elsewhere. I’ve stayed there twice and vowed to never go back.

The HR can feel special if you get a nice room on a high floor facing the park. It’s proximity to museums is a great plus and it has one of the best health clubs of any hotel I know in CDMX. It’s not the most luxurious and the service can be spotty, but it has a striking modernist design, great art in public areas and a good location.

Enjoy your trip, Mexico City is a very special place.
Thanks for your input. Yeah bad AC is kinda a deal breaker for me, so we'll pass on the Downton hotel, although it does look unique in the pictures. I'm also considering the Brick Hotel. Do you have any experience staying there?

And good to know about the HR. I am Globalist, so maybe we could get an upgrade to a nice high floor suite. Looks like they're also building another HR which looks cool but not slated to open until early 2023
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:38 pm

Some of this might depend on what your plans are for the trip. If you want to spend more time in Centro then I'd suggest just staying in that area. Even though Polanco is not too far, it's still a little inconvenient, especially during high traffic times.

The HR is pretty ideal if you want just cool spots for dining, art and history museums and Chapultepec park.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Some of this might depend on what your plans are for the trip. If you want to spend more time in Centro then I'd suggest just staying in that area. Even though Polanco is not too far, it's still a little inconvenient, especially during high traffic times.

The HR is pretty ideal if you want just cool spots for dining, art and history museums and Chapultepec park.
Honestly these plans came together rather quickly. We don't really have specific plans for Mexico City, but it'll be our first time visiting.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hilton Reforma has a great location. That part of the city actually feels like a different country, unlike Polanco.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:39 pm

I agree for first time visitors, staying in Centro is very convenient and you really get the "feel" of the city - the street food, the people, churros! LOL! We loved staying in Centro on our first visit and venturing out to Roma and Polanco for the other museums and restaurants.

However besides Downton there's not really any Hyatt options. Do you need to stick with Hyatt or hotel rooms in general? or since you have a large(r than 2 people) group maybe it would make more sense to do AirBnb or Vrbo so you have the communal spaces too?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Skramer86
I agree for first time visitors, staying in Centro is very convenient and you really get the "feel" of the city - the street food, the people, churros! LOL! We loved staying in Centro on our first visit and venturing out to Roma and Polanco for the other museums and restaurants.

However besides Downton there's not really any Hyatt options. Do you need to stick with Hyatt or hotel rooms in general? or since you have a large(r than 2 people) group maybe it would make more sense to do AirBnb or Vrbo so you have the communal spaces too?
Yeah we were looking to stay with Hyatt mostly because I've got points to burn with them and I'm Globalist for the next few months. I've had some bad experiences with AirBnb so would rather stick to a hotel. Is the HR that far from Centro?
Skramer86 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by sabester24
Is the HR that far from Centro?
No it's not. Maybe about 5 miles across and 20 minutes without traffic. But that 20 minutes can easily become 40 minutes or worse, and if your plans/activities involve a lot of Centro amenities (it probably offers the most of any one neighborhood) then you might find yourself wanting to come and go
a few times a day. That would get inconvenient pretty quickly.

If, on the other hand, you just want a taste of various things and to check out a few different neighborhoods then Polanco is fine. Most of the tourist stuff and the nicer, upmarket, expat type of locations/services are generally clustered in the same region, from Polanco down to Napoles and across to Centro.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:21 am

Also worth noting that rideshares and cabs are very, very inexpensive in CDMX.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Also worth noting that rideshares and cabs are very, very inexpensive in CDMX.
I used Uber Black and it was extremely reasonable. So at least it's comfortable when you're sitting in the traffic.

But no, Polanco is not particularly convenient to the Centro.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I used Uber Black and it was extremely reasonable. So at least it's comfortable when you're sitting in the traffic.

But no, Polanco is not particularly convenient to the Centro.
At a minimum, get a Uber comfort… minimal cost difference…

uberX may end up getting you a really small car.

or try BEAT Tesla for Mexico City. All Tesla fleet with Uber like service. Comparable to Uber black pricing if not cheaper at times.
lsquare and CLEguy like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by myperks
At a minimum, get a Uber comfort… minimal cost difference…

uberX may end up getting you a really small car.

or try BEAT Tesla for Mexico City. All Tesla fleet with Uber like service. Comparable to Uber black pricing if not cheaper at times.
I haven't heard of this one! Will check it out on my next trip to CDMX. Thanks for flagging it.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: Lots
There’s also a Metro stop just behind the hotel. That is also very inexpensive (25 cents) and can get you most anywhere you want to go, although you’ll probably have to transfer.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.