Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I just stayed one night at this property and overall find it disappointing. I was given an executive wing room and of course access to the RC given my diamond status. The RC is not bad and food selection is decent. However I found the rooms to look very tired and the bathroom to remind me of motel 6 bathrooms 25 years ago!
The concierge was totally unhelpful. During the night there was a big thunderstorm with a heavy downpour. This flooded the parking lot and did disrupt the L traffic. I had gone online and saw some disruption announcement. Not knowing where the L was or how much time it takes to go from the hotel to downtown, I asked the concierge. He tried to call the Chicago transit and could not get through. He said that the train was probably not running and I was better off taking the shuttle to ORD and then the CO bus. I then told him I had seen a disruption notice online but had not read it and asked if he could look at what they said. He could not find the web site without my help and after seeing the notice of disruption said that he would not trust them anyway and I never got the info. I finally asked if I could get umbrellas and I was told no, with a look in his face that I read as: "Do you think I am a charity?"
Anyway, I went back to my room to read the disruption notice and get google directions to the train station. I should have skipped the concierge altogether... The train did operate up to the station next to the HR. The disruption only affected traffic between that station and O'Hare.

I am in no rush to stay at this property again. I will try the Hilton next time.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I just stayed one night at this property and overall find it disappointing. I was given an executive wing room and of course access to the RC given my diamond status. The RC is not bad and food selection is decent. However I found the rooms to look very tired and the bathroom to remind me of motel 6 bathrooms 25 years ago!
The concierge was totally unhelpful. During the night there was a big thunderstorm with a heavy downpour. This flooded the parking lot and did disrupt the L traffic. I had gone online and saw some disruption announcement. Not knowing where the L was or how much time it takes to go from the hotel to downtown, I asked the concierge. He tried to call the Chicago transit and could not get through. He said that the train was probably not running and I was better off taking the shuttle to ORD and then the CO bus. I then told him I had seen a disruption notice online but had not read it and asked if he could look at what they said. He could not find the web site without my help and after seeing the notice of disruption said that he would not trust them anyway and I never got the info. I finally asked if I could get umbrellas and I was told no, with a look in his face that I read as: "Do you think I am a charity?"
Anyway, I went back to my room to read the disruption notice and get google directions to the train station. I should have skipped the concierge altogether... The train did operate up to the station next to the HR. The disruption only affected traffic between that station and O'Hare.

I am in no rush to stay at this property again. I will try the Hilton next time.
Didn't they just finished with their 60million dollars renovation? I have upcoming reservation at this property for 4 nights, can you give me more detail about their room/ bathroom?
I was checking through their website, and their room/bathroom looks very modern.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
During the night there was a big thunderstorm with a heavy downpour.
If it's the night I am thinking of, that was about 6 -7 inches of rain in 2 hours, an all-time record for ORD.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:51 pm

I stayed here last night for one night and stayed in the Junior Suite.

The common areas looked very nice though and it was very nicely laid out. The gym was usable/modern, and the RC was very nice/clean.

The suite was nice (tired -- I agree) but the bathrooms are a bit tight / small (I disagree about the motel 6 comment). The staff was really nice, friendly, and helpful though -- however, it was a bit disorganized during check-in. The staff didn't offer me my amen. or turn down service until I asked.

Overall a satisfactory short stay but nothing special about the place.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I agree with the Motel 6 bathroom comment. This hotel has beautiful public areas but the rooms are so so... The bathrooms are typical motel bathrooms, they remodeled the sink area, but left the old tile and tub!!! TACKY...

The front desk is pretty weak as well.. poor customer service. I think I know the concierge you are talking about in the Regency Club... They are there to sit and surf the internet and offer little customer service. IMHO

Originally Posted by edcho
I stayed here last night for one night and stayed in the Junior Suite.

The common areas looked very nice though and it was very nicely laid out. The gym was usable/modern, and the RC was very nice/clean.

The suite was nice (tired -- I agree) but the bathrooms are a bit tight / small (I disagree about the motel 6 comment). The staff was really nice, friendly, and helpful though -- however, it was a bit disorganized during check-in. The staff didn't offer me my amen. or turn down service until I asked.

Overall a satisfactory short stay but nothing special about the place.

Last edited by Andaz5; Aug 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here last night, arriving late, and they upgraded me to the (a?) presidential suite, in the executive building. The bathroom in this suite was definitely not tacky. The shower room had no fewer than 12 different shower heads, most all of which could be run simultaneously for a rather interesting shower experience.

It was nice that the room had been remodeled, and the flat screen TV got signals with proper HD from DirecTV, although the signal tended to go out during thunderstorms.

The front desk folks were kind enough to unlock the club room at midnight for me and another elite, so we were able to take soft drinks and yogurt to our rooms (beer too if we wanted it).

This was a good stay for me, but obviously not representative of their average room!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed here last night, arriving late, and they upgraded me to the (a?) presidential suite, in the executive building. The bathroom in this suite was definitely not tacky. The shower room had no fewer than 12 different shower heads, most all of which could be run simultaneously for a rather interesting shower experience.

It was nice that the room had been remodeled, and the flat screen TV got signals with proper HD from DirecTV, although the signal tended to go out during thunderstorms.

The front desk folks were kind enough to unlock the club room at midnight for me and another elite, so we were able to take soft drinks and yogurt to our rooms (beer too if we wanted it).

This was a good stay for me, but obviously not representative of their average room!
Lucky -- I wonder where this executive building is? I'm guessing it isn't in either the east or west towers.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Stayed here 2 weeks ago and thought it pretty great for an airport hotel. Front desk could not have been nicer=offered to open the club up for me for water/soft drinks from the fridge. The lounge offerings for breakfast are great-as is the attendant.MUCH better than the lounge at the HR Chicago
The room in the exec wing was in great shape and the TV was awesome^

This property will be my go to for O'hare ^
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
Lucky -- I wonder where this executive building is? I'm guessing it isn't in either the east or west towers.
It has a label saying it is the "executive tower" but I think it would be the east wing -- it's the one you don't get to via the elevators in the middle of the lobby, but have to walk past them and turn left at the end of the lobby. I didn't mean to imply it was a separate building, it was room 2940.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
It has a label saying it is the "executive tower" but I think it would be the east wing -- it's the one you don't get to via the elevators in the middle of the lobby, but have to walk past them and turn left at the end of the lobby. I didn't mean to imply it was a separate building, it was room 2940.
This is the location and floor where I always get accommodated as a Diamond too, whether on a PL stay or a rock-bottom qualifying weekend rate. However, I've never gotten a suite upgrade gratis. Something tells me that rate and frequency of stay probably have something to do with it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
three nights award stay

I recently stayed here three nights using points (8000pointsX3=24000points). They were pretty expensive during the weekdays, so I decided to use my points for the three nights which was only 24000 points total. I arrive ORD around 11:50pm, call the hotel for shuttle service, and shuttle came by within 10mins. And it was about 5min drive from airport to hotel. Hotel looks very old from outside, but inside was very modern, and contemporary. I didn't ask for any upgrade during check in because they said they already block the best room for me. However it was just regular room at executive floor, and it was not bad at all, room was very spacious, modern design, but carpet looks very old, and bathroom was tiny with tub. Next morning, I went back to the front desk, and asked for suite upgrade, and they gave me the plaza suite right away. Plaza suite was just like the picture you see at hyatt.com. Very spacious, modern, separate bedroom without the door, bathroom was bigger than regular room.
Regency club was very unique, contemporary design, lots of sitting area, one desktop with printer. They were offering one hot items during breakfast/hors d'oeuvres, and lots of drink selection. The offerings in the club are superior to all the other clubs I have visited in California.
The hotel is walking distance to CTA terminal, you can easily go to downtown for $4.50 round trip, it takes about 45 min. to downtown.
Overall it was great three night stay!

Last edited by xuni4everx; Aug 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Completed a 3 night stay and was pleased. Contrary to others, I had a pleasant check-in, was offered amenity and turn down....and given free parking! I was greeted by name by the front desk and the bell staff for my entire stay.
CL was pleasant, and (again contrary to previous reports) the attendant was quite friendly and checked each day to see if they could be of assistance.
My room was in the tower, and was fine...bathroom IS quite small, but sufficient; housekeeping was on top of things.
Service is key to me, and overall, I found it to be far above average. The passenger elevators were out for a few hours but as the employee set still worked, really no biggie. But that evening, during turndown, I was given a card where I could select a free day of Internet, 1 night of parking, a beverage, an appetizer or ......too many too list....to make up for the "inconvenience. ". Wow.
Far far superior to Rosemont and Deerfield.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:59 pm

lucky you! I arrived past midnight and they looked at me like I had horns. I asked for water and they told me to use the mini bar, I thought being a diamond would get me some kind courtesy. I will never stay here again.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
I stayed here for a night in January. I'm Diamond and got a room in the Executive Wing, which was a hike from the lobby. I agree with other comments that the room was comfortable and fairly modern, with a cramped bathroom that wasn't really on par with the rest of the room from a design standpoint. The gym was very nice. The Regency Club was solid, with nice decor. I had dinner/drinks in bar area and it was fine. This is a decent option for the Chicago northwest suburbs and I'd certainly consider staying again.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Diamond and Platinums get free "premium internet" at this hotel, as is standard. But the following was an interesting discovery: "at least from the "Executive Wing", regular Gold Passport members get unlimited free "basic" internet at this hotel while non-Gold Passport members get 1 hour of free internet at this hotel".

This becomes apparent when going through the log-in/"pay" process for internet at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.