Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:41 pm

Bali but not Bali

The Grand Hyatt is an excellent resort Hotel, but Nusa Dua is known as the "Golden Ghetto".You could be anywhere in the world.No locals allowed in unless working.The "Shopping village" just outside the gates of the Hotel is designed just for the tourist.Generally prices are at least 20/30% higher than anywhere else and the food a very poor immitation of otherwise excellent bali food.
If you want to experience Bali, stay in your hotel as little as possible, take a taxi to Kuta if you want to buy cheap things or a taxi ride to Ubud (about $15 for all day if you haggle with the waiting taxis in the hotel car park.) Its full of local craft shops and the like.The Monkey Temple is fun but make sure eberything is attached as the little bu***rs will pinch anything they can get their hands on, even specs.
Always walk down to the taxi park and haggle prices rather than get one at reception.You will alway get it cheaper as they will all try and get your business.
Get out of the "Ghetto" see the island, meet the people, eat the food, you certainly wont if you stay in the hotel all the time.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Bali Resorts

If you are going to Bali and are planning on paying for your hotel, hands down the best property for the money is the Ritz Carlton. It is comparable in price to the Hyatts and the service is amazing. If money is no object, the 4 seasons resorts are not to be missed....personally the Hyatt hotels in Bali lack character and as mentioned above, in the Nusa Dua area, you could be anywhere in the world, and the best part about Bali is teh culture and the people.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I for one don't like the Ritz Carlton that much. While it is a beautiful resort, it is nothing special and it is also a hotel that could be located everywhere in the world. It has even less to do with Bali than the Grand Hyatt. Furthermore it has no real beach and the food is not great. Also does it have smaller pools than the Hyatt and not much shadow in the pool area.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:17 am

Has anyone been to the Grand Hyatt Bali lately and could comment on how renovation is going on? Here's what they are doing: http://www.balidiscovery.com/message...253&Text=hyatt
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I was at the GH in Bali during April, staying at the GC Wing. They are currently renovating the 2 wings which are on the other end of the hotel, hence there was no noise or so to be heart in the GC wing. I only found it a bit sad that my favourite restaurant was closed, which is located in one of the wings which were under renovation. The first phase of the renovation process is scheduled to be finished by the end of July and after a short break they are going to renovate the other 2 wings. I could get no information what they are going to do with the GC during the time of renovation.

People at the resort were nice as always.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Why did you get the idea that no locals are allowed into the Nusa Dua resort area unless working there?

If there ever was such a restriction (I doubt it), this certainly has not been the case for the past ten years or even longer. It is possible that you may not meet any locals other than the ones who are working there, but this is because the locals most likely do not have any interest in going, and NOT because they are not allowed to go.

I know the comment below was made a year ago but I only read it today and felt that it is necessary to correct such a misleading information.

Originally Posted by CeeGee
No locals allowed in unless working.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:36 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashaboe
Why did you get the idea that no locals are allowed into the Nusa Dua resort area unless working there?

If there ever was such a restriction (I doubt it), this certainly has not been the case for the past ten years or even longer. It is possible that you may not meet any locals other than the ones who are working there, but this is because the locals most likely do not have any interest in going, and NOT because they are not allowed to go.

I know the comment below was made a year ago but I only read it today and felt that it is necessary to correct such a misleading information.

At least at the beach it is pretty obvious, that they are NOT allowed to enter the Nusa Dua area.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:07 am

ooo I hated that Hyatt

I had a pretty miserable experience at the Nusa Dua location. It was prior to my Diamond status so I only know about their treatment of plebs but... first room we were given was over some kind of garage. Very noisy and not clean. Staff was not great either.

We switched to the Sheraton for the rest of our Nusa Dua stay and were very happy. Absolutely gorgeous room. Unbelievable service. Staff and amenities were incredible. It was night and day for us. I'd never go back to that Hyatt. Then again I doubt I'd ever stay in Nusa Dua except to be close to the airport... there are so many incredible places to stay in Bali - why stay in its Waikiki? Actually I would go back to the Sheraton just for the room and the service.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by emaij
Then again I doubt I'd ever stay in Nusa Dua except to be close to the airport...
If you want to be close to the airport, I'm not sure Nusa Dua is where you want to stay... There are many places MUCH closer to the airport - Kuta, Jimbaran, and Sanur. Our favorite hotel on the island was the Hyatt Sanur. Yes, it is older, but also has more character than Nusa Dua. Less cement, much better landscapes, good pools, and close to the 'real' Bali. We were very happy to go back to the Bali Hyatt (Sanur) after staying in Nusa Dua for a day (mattress hopping during the last FFN)
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL LIFETIME GOLD,Marriott lifetime Platinum, HYATT DIAMOND,HILTON LIFETIME GOLD
Smile Feedback On Hyatt Hotels Bali

We Are Planning A Two Week Trip To Bali November 30 Thru December 14. We Have Reservations At The Grand Hyatt On Nus Dua Beach And The Hyatt On Sanur Beach. Recently We Have Read Some Reviews That Are Somewhat Negative Especially Regarding Service And The Attitude Of The Staff. We Would Appreciate Any Feedback.
Thank You.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:03 pm

I haven't been at the Hyatt in Bali, but I have been to Bali.

I wouldn't stay at the Hyatt, but not because of the reason you're asking about. Bali is fun, interesting, exciting even, but the key is the local culture and the big international hotels sort of pull you away from the local culture. Further they ain't exactly centrally located. Ubud is much more of a fun place to stay. while you can certainly get there and back from the Hyatt, part of the fun is walking around the local area there. I stayed a few days in kuta, a few in ubud, a few in lovina , etc. If you want to stay at one of the Hyatts when you arrive, that's fine, but I'd definately plan to spend a few nights around Ubud there are some nice hotels and one of the world's finest there) and while the beach in Lovina isn't quite as pretty, I also liked staying there for a day or two.

Finally, two weeks in Bali may be a little much. I was there 8 days, and felt I could have used another day or two, but unless you dive, surf or can really lay back, once you get past 10 days, you may be pushing it

Last edited by MrAOK; Aug 14, 2005 at 7:07 pm
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:09 am

Opinions on hotels in Bali greatly differ from one person to another. I for one luuuuuve the GH in Nusa Dua, even if it is in a tourist town with little or no local culture left. When we're there (usually for 2 weeks), we always rent a car and do one day of laying back on the beach or by the pool and the next day we tour the island. Everything on Bali is without any problem doable in a one-day trip, one doesn't have to be based in Ubud, but again, this is just my humble opinion
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: BA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, GPP Platinum, PC Platinum "Royal1day" Ambassador
We stayed at the GH Bali last year in Nov. Service in Grand Club was poor, they
always tried to sell us some paintings or so, after they checked that we were
not interested in stuff like this, they treated us worse !!! Rooms need renovations ! Booked a club room which was not very nice, furnishing was totally run down, shower dirty a.s.o., we graded up to the Chendrawishi Suite, which is actually their Ambassador Suite for 579,- Dollar a night. Suite was fine and large (168 SQM) but also needs some renovations.
Open air club longe is nice but having dinner in the hot and wet air made my stomach sick...
Next time we will stay at the
Club Intercontinental, which is newly renovated with top service and 24H ! lounge. Prices for a club room starts at 149,- USD per room per night, which is the better deal i think. They even have BVLGARI bath amenities! Take a look at their website.
http://www.bali.intercontinental.com/pages/ac02.html

Last edited by evh5150; Aug 15, 2005 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
We stayed at both the Hyatt Sanur and GH last year (11/04). Without a doubt, we enjoyed the Hyatt Sanur much more than the GH. The hotel was in a middle of an exciting town (Sanur), not in a concrete, touristy enclave. We were able to walk out the hotel grounds, right into the hustle and bustle of the city. The hotel grounds were much cooler as well - the landscaping is amazing! The clubs were similar, both had pretty decent offerings. Best of all, the Hyatt Sanur is even $30-50/night cheaper. That's where I would stay again!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Hyatt Bali updates

I had the wonderful experience of staying at the Grand Hyatt Bali (Nusa Dua) and the Hyatt Bali (Sanur) recently so would like to add a review/update.
I was a little scared of the Grand Hyatt because we don't like big/mega resorts, however, even though it has over 700 rooms and the place is huge, we loved it. The hotel was only half full as Bali is still struggling to rebound after the bombings. As a diamond, we were upgraded to an oceanview Regency Club room for one paid night and one on points. After a long plane trip (Singapore Raffles SFO-HKG-SIN-DPS) we were so relieved to check into a beautiful room with a great view of the breaking surf. We got a top floor room and never heard any noise from adjoining rooms. Here's a tip--at the airport they were handing out little books called the "Privilege Club" and it had info about hotels and restaurants and a special discount card. My partner shucked her copy and I browsed through it later that evening. The Privilege club offers a special at the Grand Hyatt--2 free massages at the Spa. I went down to the spa the next day to reserve our free massages thinking they would tell me--no it's not good at your rate, but it was true. We got 2 free massages in their outdoor spa area next to a waterfall, it was quite special. If you go to Bali, pick up this little book, we saved $90. The Regency Club was spectacular, great snacks and drinks while watching birds catch fish in the pond. The onsite restaurants are very good but you are stuck here in this resort area with nothing nearby.
After spending a great week at a dive resort in Wakatobi, we then checked in for 1 night at The Hyatt Bali Sanur. This Hyatt had its ups and downs. The first room they gave us was a "garden view" with a view of other balconies, had a moldy smell, and the room was quite dark and depressing. I called down and asked for another room hopefully an oceanview as requested. We had to wait until 6 pm for another room but it was worth it. The hotel was packed with stranded airline employees and passengers because all flights to Hong Kong were cancelled due to a typhoon. We finally got a room with a nice view and it didn't smell of mold, but it was small and dingy in comparison with the Grand Hyatt. The rooms are in need of a major update. The Regency Club was very nice, again overlooking a pond and had full bar for evening drinks and a great breakfast. Both Bali Hyatts serve free morning coffee & tea in your room. The main advantage of this Hyatt is that you can walk across the road from the entrance and find locally operated stores and restaurants.
In the future I would choose the Grand Hyatt as the Rooms and grounds are lovely and the beach & pool are much nicer. The Hyatt Sanur's beach was not that swimmable, it was very shallow as far as we walked. The service was outstanding at both Hyatts and it was very fun to experience the Bali Hyatts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.