Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:21 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We just finished a weekend to Bali and my overall thought of these two properties is that you can do much better on Bali and I wouldnt suggest either one for a quick weekend getaway (what we were doing) not to mention a destination trip from the US. We stayed at the GH on Friday night and the Hyatt Bali on Saturday. Here are some thoughts.
The Grand Hyatt is in Nusa Dua and as many others have pointed out, this is essentially a tourist enclave. To top it off, the beaches here arent very good, there is a reef and so it's shallow for quite some distance out. There are some amazing beaches on Bali, the Hyatt disappoints. The tourist enclave... well put it this way, if you are coming from the US you might as well just stop in Hawaii and save yourself the extra 14 hours of flying- you could be anywhere in Nusa Dua. The property is also enormous- there are so many boutique properties on Bali, I can't see why you would want to chose a mega resort. We booked the lowest cost room (about $150US) and were upgraded to a Grand Club room with access to the lounge. But this isnt really saying much as the Grand wing is under renovation, so all we really got was a normal ocean view room with lounge access. The rooms are recently "redone" but really just cosmetic stuff like painting. This is a low end 4 star property with a website that poses it as a 5 star property. Overall, I can't see why we would ever return. At $150+ per night, I'd rather spend twice as much to stay in one of the true 5 star properties.
From bad to worse. The Hyatt in Sanur is a pathetic excuse for a Hyatt. I would strain to call it a 3 star property. It's a 1970's cement monstrosity, has terrible food outlets, a completely worthless beach, and rooms that are straight out of the 70's, maybe 80's. The place should be mowed down, but at a minimum Hyatt should get it's name off this place. We paid about $80 for a basic room and I used points to upgrade to a duplex suite. I have hundreds of thousands of Hyatt points, and I would still call this a complete waste of 8,000 points. We ate lunch in one of the restaurants and the Indonesian "specialities" were so bland and spiceless that we sent them back. I've never had the staff protest so little- they agreed with us that this is not evne remotely authentic Indo food. For anyone who lives in SE Asia and enjoys the real thing, the food here is a total let down. The next day we had lunch at the pool area and my chicken tikka roll had no tikka that I could taste. At this point we were so sick of complaining that we didnt even bother. But our more or less untouched plates didnt make it unnoticed by the staff and they again asked. We figured we had to pay for something, but they kept trying to remove the food charges from the bill. Sanur is nothing to spend time in either. We walked around and found a decent place for dinner, but really there is much better to be found in Bali.
I wasnt expecting much from either property, honestly this was a mattress run. But overall I am pretty disappointed in what Hyatt is offering in Bali. If you are considering a stay at either property, I'd think twice.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:12 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
The Sanur Hyatt itself is not top notch, BUT
- the service at the RC ise very good and personal
- the Spa is great and nicely priced
- local food at the beach is good and cheap
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is the shopping center near the GH (I think its called Galleria something) still in operation? I remember reading somewhere that the many of the stores were closed or closing at one time.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Bali collection

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Is the shopping center near the GH (I think its called Galleria something) still in operation? I remember reading somewhere that the many of the stores were closed or closing at one time.
Its now called the Bali Collection - they're revamping the place. I was last there a few months back and many shops were just starting to set up
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
We ate lunch in one of the restaurants and the Indonesian "specialities" were so bland and spiceless that we sent them back. I've never had the staff protest so little- they agreed with us that this is not evne remotely authentic Indo food. For anyone who lives in SE Asia and enjoys the real thing, the food here is a total let down.
Balinese cooking tends to be very bland and I have never had a decent Asian/Indonesian/Balinese meal in Bali. I was amazed many FTers commented about how "good" food in Bali was

Bali is the only place in SE Asia where I would go for "Western" food which is actually not too bad.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Moonlight
Its now called the Bali Collection - they're revamping the place. I was last there a few months back and many shops were just starting to set up
When I was last there in July this year, this place was almost deserted and quite eerie at night. Few restaurants remain and most shops were vacant (except for the department store which is under a new management). Heavy presence of security guards, and you tend to see more guards than patrons.

It wasnt too long ago that the Galleria was the hub of Nusa Dua.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I read somewhere that they now have a Starbucks outlet at the Nusa Dua Bali Connection. Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
Balinese cooking tends to be very bland and I have never had a decent Asian/Indonesian/Balinese meal in Bali. I was amazed many FTers commented about how "good" food in Bali was

Bali is the only place in SE Asia where I would go for "Western" food which is actually not too bad.
Just walk out off the hotel at the beachside to the right. Mama Putu e.g. is a nice cheap place to have lunch.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Starbucks

Originally Posted by Muerz
I read somewhere that they now have a Starbucks outlet at the Nusa Dua Bali Connection. Can anyone confirm?
Yes..there's a Starbucks located there. And its Bali Collection - not Connection
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Bali Hyatt's

I stay at both frequently. I would claim either as luxurious; but, each have a personality.

Bali Hyatt has moldy small rooms; but, beautiful mature grounds which I spend quite a bot of time strolling. A decent spa, clay tennis courts and a so so pool with beach. Sanur is a short stroll and although nothing write home about, it is a decent place to find varied menus and decent beers.

Grand Hyatt is undergoing renovation and has been for some time. Rooms are better quality. The Club is the same design as the Bali Hyatt and not bad. Both have bare but reasonable selections with the GH a bit more extensive. GH is bigger, pool area is a bit nicer and beach is of better quality than BH. Again, not spectacular though.

I guess the bottom line is that $72 at BH and $110 at GH are excellent values for resort properties. Albeit, on the lower end of resorts; but, I spend such little time on property that it is hard to argue against the value. Right now they both have G2 promotions as well.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Talking Bali Hyatt

Just down the street from the Bali Hyatt (to the right upon exiting, along the beach side), and opposite the Taman Agung Hotel is the Palay Restaurant (newly opened).

Great food (my wife had mixed grill and I had baked tuna) at more then reasonable prices.

After this meal you can shop for native goods across the street at Harvey’s Market.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:45 pm

Bali

Agree on Palay . . . not on Harvey's.

If you are trapped in Sanur, it is a good stop. If you have wheels and a death wish to hit the roads, so many places are MUCH better. Sanur is a nice place to stroll with quite the varied flavor.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:42 pm

Bali Hyatt(s)

Hi there,

I'm looking at doing a stay in Bali at the end of March (for two nights). I'm a new member to Hyatt GP. I should have about 3,000 points from a stay at Amerisuites...

From here, Hyatt Asia is having a 2,000 point promo, at both Hyatts in Bali. Does this mean I'll get 2,000 points for the stay, or an extra 2,000 points on top of standard 5 points per USD?

Now, has anyone here done the matress run between Hyatt Bali and Grand Hyatt Bali? Is it worth it for 4,000 points vs 2,000 points? Or should I use the USD 25 voucher code instead of the 2,000 point code?

Also, if I do a stay on Mar 31, and another on Apr 1, will one qualify for the FFN promo for new members shown on the Summerfield Suites website?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:54 am

A shuttle operates between the Hyatts, so a mattress run is easy. The promo is on top of the regular points. The GH is the nicer hotel, but the spa at the Baly Hyatt is very nice and cheap.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:02 am

Bali

hello - The G2 promotion would be on top of any points earned normally. A good deal and nice bonus to a Bali vacation.

Regarding your Mattress Run question, I do this often and it is quite smooth. It turns one stay with four nights into four stays at one night. Shuttle operates between the two as previously mentioned and gives you a unique experience at two vastly different properties.

Nicer? Grand Hyatt - Cheaper? Bali Hyatt - Grounds? Bali Hyatt - Town? - Bali Hyatt (Sanur at night offers MANY diversions within walking distance) - Club? Grand Hyatt

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.