Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Not Worth It

I was in the balcony overlooking the show just last month; I had room service send up some liquor and snacks/food and we had our own party within the corner suite. While room service wasn't cheap, I think I saved money. The show is OK ...but as others have posted here, you can definitely have a better meal anywhere else for much less money ...and/or go elsewhere for less money (such as Lahaina) for more authentic Hawaiian culture.

If you insist on going to a luau on Kaanapali though, the Marriott next door is rated as one of the best ...and is cheaper than the Hyatt. And in the tourist map/books they offer for free at OGG or in hotel lobbies (like "101 Things to Do in Maui"), there are often discounts for their luau in there. When I went last month, there was an offer for $5/off each person and an additional $15/off each person if you present proof of your stay at any Kaanapali resort.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
If you go to the the little shop that the company that does all of the excursions runs, you could try talking to folks behind the counter and asking about prices for various excusions (e.g. snorkeling trip, etc.) be chatty and friendly and they just might be able to offer you a deep discount on the luau.

The agents have a bit of latitude and can often get you the rate for locals.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:10 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
I have to go to a luau anytime we have someone in town.

Living above the Hyatt, I love to go there for sushi, but not the luau.

My favorite is Feast at Lele, 505 Front Street.

It's the only one where they serve you at your table and the food and drink is great! Moi and french champagne! What could be better!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:37 pm

One more question...RE: Daily "Resort Fees"...Have read a mixture of past posts that claim the hotel sometimes does and sometimes does NOT charge the fee for Diamond Members.

Any recent experiences?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:42 am

No Fee for Diamonds

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
One more question...RE: Daily "Resort Fees"...Have read a mixture of past posts that claim the hotel sometimes does and sometimes does NOT charge the fee for Diamond Members.

Any recent experiences?
I was back at this hotel in August and was not charged the Resort Fee due to my Diamond Status.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Going Out on a Limb

If you've never been there I'd try Kauai just because its Kauai. Can't tell you much about the RC though. Not there since I made Diamond, but people are not complaining its hard to get like Maui. Unless you really like nightlife--then you won't like the Kauai Hyatt. On a sort of sleepy part of the sleepiest island.

Hotel is Plantation Style and much better odds of getting a view room. Snorkling a short drive away is a smallish reef you swim right above. (Black Rock puts it to shame). A place called Tunnels on the north side is great snorkling but sea has to be calm to get in. Good hiking, more green (but on the other side of the island).

Got the RC on Maui last April but seemed to be the last cowboy off the ponderosa and through the door before they declared it full. But it was very nice. I'm assuming you've been in the hotel and are familiar with it so won't bore you describing.

Last edited by jayer; Sep 17, 2004 at 9:37 pm
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:27 am

Official Word

Originally Posted by dingo
Gotcha; there are conflicting posts here so I was hoping there was a definitive answer. I can't find the other thread at present, but is there a 'should' on this? "As a diamond, you should not be charged the resort fee" or something like that.
The official word from Hyatt on this has always been "it's not a Diamond perk, but is up to the discretion of individual hotels whether to waive or not" ...and in Maui's case, they have always waived it for me ...and waived it again as recent as my August trip there.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dingo
Wow Weather that sounds like a great experience.

Are you there on a paid or award stay? On your other trip that you mention in November, what part of November? I'm going to be there four days before Thanksgiving and am trying to get a feel for how crowded and what kind of upgrade success I'll have. From there we go to Kauai for four days.
Are there there past Thanksgiving? We arrive there that night for a week...I have same questions as you do...I'm trying to do my homework, but from what I can tell we would be better off withOUT getting RC upgrade and just getting breakfast coupons (myself/wife/and 12 and 10 year old children).
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was in Maui last weekend on a FFN stay and as a diamond, they were not able to give us RC access for all 4 nights. They offered to put us in a non-RC room the first night and then move us, or we could instead have a regular ocean view room and get breakfast buffet coupons instead of club access. The problem was that the regular room they had was a queen and a double bed only, and they said no king bed non-smoking rooms were available, which was maddening since we were checking in early (2pm or so) and as a diamond you'd hope they could at least get the type of room we had reserved. The clerk agreed and gave us full buffet coupons instead of just the continental breakfast coupons.

The breakfast at Swan Court was nice, but I don't think it was worth the $22 each. The continental spread was quite lavish, with many types of pastries, donuts, cakes, bagels, fruits, toast, and the best OJ we've ever had in Hawaii. The full buffet adds sausages (either apple or link sausage plus Portuguese sausage), French toast or pancakes, blintzes or crepes, bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs, and an omelette station. One tip is the omelette station will make eggs the way you want them so you can ask for them scrambled and dry instead of the runny ones they have in the buffet.

One other note was that there were pretty significant lines as the morning went on. On 2 mornings there were so many people the line stretched up the stairs and the wait for a table was about 15 minutes, while the morning we got there at 7am the place was empty. The wait didn't seem to be the lack of tables but rather a lack of staff to clear the used ones and seat new guests.

Overall we had a great time but my wife and I preferred Kauai, both the island and the Hyatt, over Maui.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. D
I was in Maui last weekend on a FFN stay and as a diamond, they were not able to give us RC access for all 4 nights. They offered to put us in a non-RC room the first night and then move us, or we could instead have a regular ocean view room and get breakfast buffet coupons instead of club access. The problem was that the regular room they had was a queen and a double bed only, and they said no king bed non-smoking rooms were available, which was maddening since we were checking in early (2pm or so) and as a diamond you'd hope they could at least get the type of room we had reserved. The clerk agreed and gave us full buffet coupons instead of just the continental breakfast coupons.

The breakfast at Swan Court was nice, but I don't think it was worth the $22 each. The continental spread was quite lavish, with many types of pastries, donuts, cakes, bagels, fruits, toast, and the best OJ we've ever had in Hawaii. The full buffet adds sausages (either apple or link sausage plus Portuguese sausage), French toast or pancakes, blintzes or crepes, bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs, and an omelette station. One tip is the omelette station will make eggs the way you want them so you can ask for them scrambled and dry instead of the runny ones they have in the buffet.

One other note was that there were pretty significant lines as the morning went on. On 2 mornings there were so many people the line stretched up the stairs and the wait for a table was about 15 minutes, while the morning we got there at 7am the place was empty. The wait didn't seem to be the lack of tables but rather a lack of staff to clear the used ones and seat new guests.

Overall we had a great time but my wife and I preferred Kauai, both the island and the Hyatt, over Maui.
Was the room they had for you ocean view and did you change rooms to RC for the remaining nights of your stay?

As a diamond did they charge you the $15 resort fee?

Was parking a problem or did you use valet?

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bbbb
Was the room they had for you ocean view and did you change rooms to RC for the remaining nights of your stay?

As a diamond did they charge you the $15 resort fee?

Was parking a problem or did you use valet?

Thanks
We had requested a non-smoking king room using FFNs. We tried to arrive early in the day (2pm) to have a chance at a upgrade, and at that time they did not have any king non-smoking rooms left. They also were full on the club level for that night already. So they offered us a regular room for the first night and then we could switch to the club room for nights 2-4, or we could have a queen bed ocean view room with breakfast coupons. We didn't want to switch rooms, so we took the queen room. If you only use the club for breakfast (like we do), then the Swan Court buffet is a much better spread than any club. But if you want a lot of free drinks and appetizers in the evening, then the club is worth more.

We had the resort fee waived as diamond.

When we arrived the valet explained that we can leave the car with him while we check in and get situated, and then when we return we can decide if we want to valet park or self-park for free. We went out that night and when we came back at 10pm there was not a parking place anywhere for miles, so we valet parked. The next nights we were back earlier, so we were able to find parking in the first lot on the right (I believe it is called the Napili lot). We found that there were many spaces during the day, and then they filled quickly around 5pm and were totally full by 8 or so.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:47 am

I agree, our last 6 Hawaiian vacations have been to the Kauai Hyatt, and I am a big fan. On a couple of Maui Hyatt vacations 6 or 7 years ago we were given fairly mediocre service compared to what I was accustomed to as a Diamond. This was before the GP rule changes a few years ago, and resorts were not required to give you RC upgrades or breakfast. Whereas Kauai and Waikiki would always be very generous about upgrading Diamonds to oceanview RC rooms, Maui’s policy seemed to be that Diamonds would be allowed to upgrade to RC with points only if they were paying an Oceanview rate.

After some fairly nice reviews here, we booked a 5 night stay in Maui for early December. What do you think our chances of getting RC room are? My guess for other posts is around 50/50. The breakfast spread sounds nice, but we don’t normally eat much for breakfast, and we don’t mind a cocktail in the afternoon, so RC is preferable to coupons.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
Maui’s policy seemed to be that Diamonds would be allowed to upgrade to RC with points only if they were paying an Oceanview rate.

After some fairly nice reviews here, we booked a 5 night stay in Maui for early December. What do you think our chances of getting RC room are?
I think you have an excellent chance of an oceanview room, but I wouldn't count on the club. We were checked in by a trainee that was shadowed (literally) by a very knowledgeable staffer that I am guessing was a manager. When she drew up our reservation, the manager immediately said to her "He's a diamond, so first check for regency availability" and then after she typed a little, he called up to the club to ask about availibility. He then told me that they would normally offer club access for diamonds, but were sold out for that evening and offered it to us if we wanted to switch rooms later. He said there was no club access without a club room, so that was the best he could do for us. He said they are really limited by the number of club rooms so they try to block them for diamonds but it doesn't always work out that way. Only 1 floor in the main building is RC accessible, but there are 7 more floors in the building and 1/2 of those rooms will have ocean views. My advice would be to get there early, preferably before the mainland flights arrive in OGG at 2-3pm (I learned from the car rental people that OGG is a total distaster from 2-6pm, so beat that if you can). Others here have mentioned that a call to the manager before arrival may help, but I didn't try that.

While I did prefer the Kauai Hyatt, I must say that the Maui staff were even better. Both of the times we have gone to Kauai we have had multiple problems with checkin, this latest time took 4 trips for them to get everything correct- we were staying with some FFN and some paid nights, and the keys were cancelled a few days in, and then the replacement keys didn't work in the club, and then the new keys were cancelled again, etc. They were very apologetic and kept assuring us everything was fine, but it was frustrating to ahve to keep trekking back to the lobby and waiting in line there. However, the Maui staff was very competent and the one time there was a line, one of the bellmen went and got some additional clerks to come and help the other customers. The concierges at Maui were also much more accomodating to us, so we had no troubles with the hotel at all. We just prefer the spaciousness and more laid-back feeling of the Kauai Hyatt rather than Maui.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:06 pm

I guess I just want to be sure...

Myself/wife/12 year old and 10 year old checking in at 9pm on thanksgiving night.

I guess what I'm shooting for is to score an upgrade to "ocean view" room NOT on RC so we can eat free breakfast in the am (since we won't be around to use and never really drink that much anyway)

But sounds like checking in that late at night will probably not have much choice as to room.

Thanks again for any thoughts on subject.

Will they let you switch rooms during week in a better one (ocean view) opens up?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:42 pm

Only 1 floor in the main building is RC accessible, but there are 7 more floors in the building and 1/2 of those rooms will have ocean views.
There are actually 2 floors in the main building (Atrium Tower) that are RC floors and thus RC accessible. And the higher floors obviously have better views. The lower views are sometimes obstructed by trees, especially on the corners of the Atrium tower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.