Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Repeat Guest Perk

Just another thing to add about my HR Maui visit this week: due to my repeat return (I think this is my 5th time there), the manager sent up a bottle of champagne ...and also waived the resort fee for my stay. (I'm not Diamond at the moment, so that was a nice perk.)

The other thing that I didn't notice about the RC lounge from previous stays is this: they really push for you to eat outside of the lounge. I guess it's to free up room in the lounge and keep the place clean... but they were aggressively encouraging RC guests to take trays and load them up with food/drink to consume back at their rooms. Other than a 2-liquor/person limit, you could pretty much walk out with a ton of things to eat/drink in the comfort and privacy of your own room.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by macj86
If you are heading to the Kauai Hyatt, which Hyatt would you prefer to start with: Maui or Waikiki? We stayed 4 nights at Waikiki early this week and enjoyed it quite a bit. Is it worth it to schedule our next trip through Maui instead?
Depends what you are looking for and how long you will be there. The Honolulu property is a bit more predictable, but you can't walk to see the fish, and its still the city. I'd rather snorkle off the beach in Maui if I have at least a couple of days, but if I'm only there for a night to change planes I'd go through Honolulu.

Edited to add the next post is a really good point. You may have krptonite status at any other Hyatt in the world, but chances are not great you will get a comp RC upgrade in Maui. If you do, it will probably not be the ocean view.

Last edited by jayer; Jul 13, 2007 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:12 pm

Also some thing to think about is Waikiki gives all diamonds RC access where Maui will not if you don't get a room on the RC floor.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by macj86
Before I go back out and spend another $8 on a 1/2 hour of canoing in the lagoon, here's a question for our next trip to the experts here:

If you are heading to the Kauai Hyatt, which Hyatt would you prefer to start with: Maui or Waikiki? We stayed 4 nights at Waikiki early this week and enjoyed it quite a bit. Is it worth it to schedule our next trip through Maui instead?

We're going back to Hawaii in November and are, of course, staying at Grand Hyatt Kauai, Hyatt Maui and Hyatt Waikiki. We're doing Maui, then Kauai and Oahu last. I personally prefer to save the most crowded island for last.

On a side note, has anyone ever been to the Drums of the Pacific lu'au at the Hyatt Maui? We've gone to the Old Lahaina lu'au, but not the Drums of the Pacific. I also heard that there is a $10 discount to the lu'au for Hyatt hotel guests. Has anyone heard of this, or is it just my wishful thinking?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sassable
On a side note, has anyone ever been to the Drums of the Pacific lu'au at the Hyatt Maui? We've gone to the Old Lahaina lu'au, but not the Drums of the Pacific. I also heard that there is a $10 discount to the lu'au for Hyatt hotel guests. Has anyone heard of this, or is it just my wishful thinking?
I went to Drums of the Pacific at HR Maui. It was ~$72 when I went (in 2004) and as far as I'm aware, there was no discount for hotel guests. Maybe they jacked the price up by 10% since then though and now offer a 10% discount to hotel guests......? I thought the luau was pretty good. I've only been to one other luau (last year on the Big Island I went to the "Island Breeze" luau at King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach hotel), which is supposed to be one of the best luau's on the Big Island. I wasn't that impressed with Island Breeze, I thought Drums of the Pacific was much better. Better food, better activities/show/etc. But then again, I was just a naive newbie to Hawaii in 2004 on my very first trip so that may have played a part in it. I don't think I'd ever go to another luau again when I'm in Hawaii, but if you are going to a luau for the first time, Drums of the Pacific is pretty good. Since you mentioned you've already been to Old Lahaina Luau, frankly I'd skip it if I were you. IMHO luaus aren't as good the second time you go to one.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
Quick question - I haven't been to the RC lounge at the HR Maui. Is it worth the points to upgrade?

Also, thanks to everyone who commented on the luaus. I'm still on the fence.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sassable
Quick question - I haven't been to the RC lounge at the HR Maui. Is it worth the points to upgrade?

Also, thanks to everyone who commented on the luaus. I'm still on the fence.

Thanks!
It depends on the person,if you drink it has open bar for two hours at night. They put out one hot dish and some other good cold food. Breakfast is hot oatmeal,cereals,breads and pastrys. Some nights the food is good and you can skip eating out and save money.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:14 pm

What are some of the perks that you can expect at the HR Maui as a Diamond? We have gone to Kauai every year for the past 4 years and thought we'd head over to Maui for a change this year. I'll make Diamond by then, and I'm curious to know what are some of the benefits that can be expected?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by mauibride
What are some of the perks that you can expect at the HR Maui as a Diamond? We have gone to Kauai every year for the past 4 years and thought we'd head over to Maui for a change this year. I'll make Diamond by then, and I'm curious to know what are some of the benefits that can be expected?

Thanks for your help!
You are likely to get a really good upgrade (I cannot recall even once I was not assigned to deluxe oceanfront out of maybe 15 or 20 stays). Because there are deluxe oceanfront roomsboth in the main tower on the RC floor as well as on the abutting ends of the two side towers, depending on where you are placed, you will get either lounge access, or if not, breakfast coupons for Swan Court (continental; pay $6 to upgrade to full hot buffet). From there on down, there's not a whole heck of a lot of extra perks for Diamonds (notably over Kauai, there's no setup whereby you get into the outdoor showers, spa areas, etc.).
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:26 pm

Also they usually don't charge Diamonds the resort fee.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
any special treatment for PLAT?

I have dropped to PLAT, too bad. but I want use my FFN in JAN to stay there. I checked the availability, the room they offer for FFN redemption is not so good, will they upgrade PLAT, or they will have pay upgrade at the time of check in?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:43 am

Room upgrades are not a published benefit for PLAT members of GP so I doubt if this status will halp with an upgrade.

Have you been offered the choice of paying for an upgrade? If so this is new to me.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
Room upgrades are not a published benefit for PLAT members of GP so I doubt if this status will halp with an upgrade.

Have you been offered the choice of paying for an upgrade? If so this is new to me.
yes, but not with Hyatt
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyliu88
yes, but not with Hyatt
I think if they have open rooms and depending on how long your stay is you might get some thing.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
FYI, The Hyatt Maui is one tough place to get an upgrade if you don't have top tier status. I think the front desk people there would rather pluck your teeth out with a pair of pliers than give a "free" upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.