Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Having stayed at all 3 Hyatt Hawaiian properties this year, the HR Maui was the toughest to justify. Ended up having to call GP, as online, they showed RC rooms available but I was not offered as DIA, (FFN stay.) The two rooms they showed me were marginal. As is the condition of the property, tired, used, older. The GP CS agent called the hotel and I ended up with RC floor room and partial ocean view, though even after that call, I went down to the front desk and was told there were no RC rooms and that I wouldn't have RC access. Straightened out, but what a hassle.

Flying into west Maui airport is from HNL, generally, no mainland service. I did it once years ago, but you may still want a car on Maui, (which are cheaper at OGG,) especially if you want to get out of the Whaler Village area. Better beaches on the east side, as well as bodysurfing, though nothing as good as the north shore of Oahu nor Secret Beach near Princeville on Kauai.

What little nightlife is in Lahaina, though it is mostly a bar scene.

I heard that they discontinued the free drinks at the RC, but it may have been just GH Kauai and HR Waikiki.

This hotel likes to play games with RC access for diamonds. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that the hotel is owned by Marriott or not? I had major problems last year with getting a RC room when they were still available on line. I was made some promises after the fact by the hotel manager that were later canceled in a letter from the GM. I am going to miss the great RC employees but I am not going to fight for my benefits here anymore.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:06 pm

Question Snack bar at pool...still there?

Does anyone happen to know without me calling, if the pool snack bar is still there? I looked at the hotel website and noticed that the snack bar was not listed. I was planning a trip over in January and really enjoyed the smoothies and sandwich wraps.^

Thanks for anyone's help.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
The snacks are still available at the new restaurant by the pool. Go to Maui's website and look under Dining then Cascades bar and Lounge. If you scroll down you will find Umalu which is the new restaurant by the pool. Also, the drinks are still flowing for free in the RC.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:44 pm

Question In-room fridges?

Does anyone know if the HR Maui has fridges in the rooms, some rooms or charges for fridges?
Thanks...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Smile

Yes, they all do now...
Old May 24, 2009, 3:09 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Any special treatment for PLAT since goldpassport changes?

Has anyone had any experience of "Enjoy the best room available within the category booked" as a PLAT since the new changes? Is this readily forthcoming? or do I have to beg? in advance? or just at checkin?

anything else I can look forward to here?
Old May 24, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hh1
Has anyone had any experience of "Enjoy the best room available within the category booked" as a PLAT since the new changes? Is this readily forthcoming? or do I have to beg? in advance? or just at checkin?

anything else I can look forward to here?

I would not expect much as a Plat at the Maui Hyatt! You are on vacation and you don't need the headaches of not getting available upgrades because a hotel is owned by Marriott and refuses to follow the GP rules. Go to the Kauai Hyatt and enjoy your vacation knowing they went out of there way to upgrade you when available.

Last edited by bbbb; May 24, 2009 at 1:32 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Trip Review

Just returned from a 6 night stay at the Maui Hyatt Regency and it was great.

We had one award point room, and one paid room under the 3 for Free campaign (every 3rd night free, daily breakfast, $100 resort credit and room upgrade). We were able to use a diamond suite upgrade and had a great oceanfront suite with connecting ocean front room for our children. We were on the 5th floor of the Lahaina Tower and had perfect view of the Luau. The kids loved watching the fire dancer from our balcony most nights and, mercifully, it was over by 8pm every night.

Regency Club staff was fantastic. Breakfast in the am was pineapple, papaya, melon and strawberries, bagels with cream cheese, lox tomato, red onion and capers, hawaiian granola w/ coconut & macadamia nuts, hard boiled eggs, brie, assorted muffins and pastries, self-serve espresso/cappuccino machine and Tazo teas. There were cookies, fruit, nuts and drinks out all day, then pretty decent hors'devours with an open bar from 5 - 7. Desserts with aperitifs were set out from 7:30 - 8:30.

Self parking was actually easier than valet parking with lots on either end of the resort.

Not much else to say other than it was a very enjoyable stay and I felt very well taken care of as a Diamond member.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
will I lose my breakfast?

I have a rate which is inclusive of breakfast. If I get upgraded to RC, do I lose the breakfast "included" in my rate? (maybe I misunderstood a previous poster - though can't find the post now). For me, a nice leisurely breakfast is one of the luxuries of a vacation - RC breakfast not the same - or is it different in Maui?

I realise that upgrades are rare here - but thinking of using certs to upgrade.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by hh1
I have a rate which is inclusive of breakfast. If I get upgraded to RC, do I lose the breakfast "included" in my rate? (maybe I misunderstood a previous poster - though can't find the post now). For me, a nice leisurely breakfast is one of the luxuries of a vacation - RC breakfast not the same - or is it different in Maui?

You should get the breakfast certs even if you get RC access because it is part of your booked package.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hh1

They gave me both.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by hh1
I have a rate which is inclusive of breakfast. If I get upgraded to RC, do I lose the breakfast "included" in my rate? (maybe I misunderstood a previous poster - though can't find the post now). For me, a nice leisurely breakfast is one of the luxuries of a vacation - RC breakfast not the same - or is it different in Maui?.
You should get both your included b.fast for those nights in which it is inc., as well as RC if upgraded. We stayed earlier in the year on a combo of 3-for-free (inc. b.fast) plus FFN awards, and got b.fast certs at Swan Court buffet for the pkg nights, and RC upgraded for the whole stay.

Swan Court has bigger "spread" (and hot food) than RC, but often a wait to be seated (although RC can be crowded, too). Sometimes we went to Swan Court -- mainly because they served later -- and sometimes RC, where we relaxed on the balcony enjoying light b.fast and whale watching out over the ocean. (Swan Court you watch the swans and pond.) Nothing says you can't do both, if you have that option. Coffee and toast in RC and enjoy the view, then morning workout, then stuff yourself silly at Swan Court. ^

Originally Posted by hh1
In all the years we've been going to Maui, I think there was only 1 time where we didn't get at least RC access as Dia, and usually room upgrade. Unless you're talking about suite upgrades...in which case, I don't know.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I will be staying ten nights in November on an amazing Priceline win. I am a Diamond member. How should I expect to be treated since this is a Priceline stay?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Just to keep expectations low, as I believe I posted way upthread, I haven't felt like I received the full "Hyatt Diamond treatment" here when everything was lined-up right. I mean when reserved directly with Hyatt, Diamond number in etc. Over four stays, I have gotten "upgraded" to partial ocean view - sometimes, when available, not always without a day-later move - and no lounge privilege. But the last was four years ago. My worst Hyatt soft product experiences. ...Actually, that went to the Cancun Caribe, but I took care of them.

In all cases, though, they strictly adhered to the "one category upgrade" resort policy, which they defined. (There was much more at the Cancun Caribe -- which is not the Hyatt that survives in Cancun.) Obviously this was all before the suite certificates of today, but I'm assuming that a PL bid will not allow these to be applied.

All this said, the Maui hard product is very nice, so on balance I would be very happy to have a great price. (Other caution: your breakfast options will be wide, but all at the Hyatt and other hotels along Ka'anapali, so that could eat into your deal, depending on how many mouths you have to feed. You might want to lay-in provisions for that, and perhaps request a fridge.)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by Firewind
Just to keep expectations low, as I believe I posted way upthread, I haven't felt like I received the full "Hyatt Diamond treatment" here when everything was lined-up right. I mean when reserved directly with Hyatt, Diamond number in etc.
+1

Great resort, love the place, but I also feel they don't care about a guest's HGP status. Probably more (or all) about the rate you paid to drive onto the property; I was last there on the AAA rate. I did get access to the lounge, but it was not offered at check-in and I forgot to ask. No big deal , I stopped by the front desk in the morning and got an access card. They also will not tell you about your complementary internet access, but the front desk will confirm (if you ask) that you will have WiFi charges zero-ed on your bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.